Any model by FannyWang
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAiaiai TMA-1tagged by System, 7/3/12
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 7/3/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 7/3/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 7/3/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 7/3/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 7/3/12
- productBowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphonestagged by System, 7/3/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/3/12
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 7/3/12
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 7/3/12More
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/3/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 7/3/12
- productSony MDR-7520 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 7/3/12
- productSony MDR-Z1000tagged by System, 7/3/12
- productULTRASONE HFI 2200 ULEtagged by System, 7/3/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 7/3/12
Related Forum Threads
- New member looking for advice Last post on 9/5/12 at 11:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Amazing Headphones <$500 Last post on 7/8/12 at 10:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Accurate/Neutral Sounding Headphones for Recording, Mixing, Tracking and General Listening for... Last post on 7/3/12 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Beats are garbage Last post on 9/29/12 at 6:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
Street cred with hipsters and overears, $500? - Page 2post #16 of 816/30/12 at 2:59pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 816/30/12 at 3:38pmpost #18 of 816/30/12 at 4:01pm
I'd have to say that grado's are the ultimate hipster can, but leakage is an issue. If you like the look of two giant plastic hamburgers on each side of your head I guess you could go for the denons. Personally though I'd recommend some HD25-1 II's. Any of those hipsters with hi-fi experience would appreciate the choice.post #19 of 816/30/12 at 4:36pmpost #20 of 816/30/12 at 4:57pmpost #21 of 816/30/12 at 9:30pm
^^^Restrained myself from posting that earlier.
But yeah, I think Grado is quintessentially hipster. Since isolation is a requirement, however, perhaps stick with wood cups? Something from Headphile would turn some heads. Soundstage size is good, but they're heavily colored.post #22 of 816/30/12 at 9:31pmThe QC15 really aren't as bad as many would have you believe - they're one of the better *sealed* headphones out there (note the emphasis). Between the comfort and the ANC, they would not make bad office cans. They do eat batteries though.
The RS-2/RS-1 was the first thing I thought of when you said "hipsters," but they will leak like a sieve. So that's likely a no-go. Those Panasonics in the demotiv aren't terribly expensive; no idea what they sound like though.
Otherwise you might consider the Beyer DT48, they look "edgy" and "retro" (and they should - they've been in production since 1937), although I have no idea if they sound any good. There's also a few models from Koss that have a similar "vintage" look. Finally you might look at the various woodies from AT, Denon, and Fischer to see if anything grabs you (the Denon AH-A100 probably would've been perfect, but they're out of production).post #23 of 816/30/12 at 10:39pmQuote:
So we should all just go with what the majority thinks? No thanks. I will recommend what I want..and I will do it in good conscience. At least I offered help and didn't just talk about how bad someone elses recommendation was.post #24 of 817/1/12 at 1:03am
The new PSB's ( 3 options on em, Normal, amped and noise cancellation to shut out their incessant inconsequential whinings ) Sound seems great. A possibility.
Some of the Ultrasones? A few cool options ( my sones sound great ) Metallic ones, and the ultra hip brownish HFI 2200 ( too bad the 2200's are open backed for you )
Akg K141's, K240's nice shiny bits with excellent sound ? Not sure about leakage within a certain proximity though.
You should be able to get the best of both worlds, but who's to say what's "hip looking" or not.
Edited by nick n - 7/1/12 at 1:09ampost #25 of 817/1/12 at 8:15am
Actually, now that I've put some thought into this (I'm kind of...attracted to the hipster type), the Fostex T50RP with its steampunkish looks wouldn't be that bad of a choice. Thunderpants (wooden T50RP's) might take it further. Other than that, there's not much that I can think of. The K550 I suggested earlier would still be a pretty good choice since they look minimalistic, matte, and well, not very mainstream (Beats). Grados would have been perfect, but they're open.post #26 of 817/1/12 at 9:58ampost #27 of 817/1/12 at 2:05pmpost #28 of 817/1/12 at 4:44pm
TMA-1 for looks IMO, but not the best in SQ at $200. Bit too veiled. And IMO the soundstage is eh, but its better than the HD25-ii's soundstage by a bit.
HD25-ii for a more studio / professional look. Better SQ than TMA-1 at the cost of looks and soundstage, IMO.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Consumer Edition / T70 / T70P (honestly I love the look of Beyers. On my head, not so much, but they look nice off my head :). And they're insanely comfortable. Not sure on the SQ of the last two, out of my budget. The soundstage of the DT770 Consumer was often compared to open headphones).
House of Marley's Exodus. Not really much to say about the hipster look.. Bob Marley. Inner Fidelity liked them, but apparently it has a lot of problems with its quality control / build quality.
Isolation for the HD25-ii is insane, but I'm pretty sure really none of these will leak, and if you have a quiet environment they'll all be fine. Not entirely sure about the Exodus, but the DT770s isolation is probably a few points below the HD25-ii. If the HD25-ii were a 10, the DT770 would probably be about 6~7.
I would personally go with the T70 / T70p if the reviews are good. I love the look and I love how comfortable beyerdynamics are.
I have no idea about articulation.
Edited by AyeVeeN - 7/1/12 at 4:47pmpost #29 of 817/1/12 at 5:37pmQuote:
Did you says vibrant color?
- Street cred with hipsters and overears, $500?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 24 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 27 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - DELTA HYBRID V II 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia & Elear impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Creative G5 discussion and reviews 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 7 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › High-End Headphone pairing with Tube Amp 9 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 9 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...