- 40 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Upgarde from Essence ST Last post on 7/8/12 at 1:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Review: April Eximus DP-1 Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- DAC to match Graham Slee Solo and HD650 Last post on 6/11/12 at 12:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Can changing a DAC's power supply damage it? Last post on 2/24/16 at 9:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
*review this right after i have this headphone. burn in test not yet available Lost my AKG K403, my very first HD headphone (to me). Very low on budget, found this, bought it, waited for a near...
INTRODUCTION: Paw Gold is a high resolution music player from the brand Lotoo, that is part of the Beijing Infomedia Electronic Technology Co Ltd. It sports an industrial looking outer body...
Too much dirt and sibilance at 5.5-6.5KHz. Also they are not so murderous about bass as many people suggest. Characteristics (subjective, 10 max): Resolution:...
What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650post #1 of 136/29/12 at 1:21pmThread StarterAny thoughts on what would be a good dac for my combination? I owned a little dot dac 1 but it just did not seem to bring out the best in my headphones. I would not say the sky is the limit for price but I want to get something that will do justice to my woo audio amp. Any help is appreciated.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 137/9/12 at 7:30pmpost #3 of 137/10/12 at 7:03am
Not sure what connectivity you will need but I'll throw a couple suggestions your way. The Woo DAC is going to be quite bright and lean, nothing wrong with that, but it is not designed for a rich sound sig. Something else in the same price point would be an Audio Note DAC 2.1, which will blow the Woo out of the water by a far margin. It will also compliment your 650's quite well, I have the 3.1 and it is absolutely fantastic with the 650s. Here is a quick comparison with some current solid state gear. At such a price point I wouldn't be afraid to grab a deal off of audiogon, especially if you don't need a thousand input options. A lot of these DACs that are only a year old are being tossed because of the "input race" so something that was quite a large sum is now hugely discounted (assuming you don't need all the new inputs). Another DAC to keep in mind would be anything from the Bel Canto series. These are really top quality DACs that can compete with the really highend out there (5,000 and up) unlike a lot of the popular DACs floating around. Anyway, if you could specify what you really want in a DAC I think we could offer you some more advice.post #4 of 137/10/12 at 7:31am
If you want to keep your Woo's sound sig with no coloration from the DAC - and I think that is the way it is supposed to be - have a look at Metrum Acoustics Octave.
Edited by Szadzik - 7/10/12 at 7:38ampost #5 of 137/11/12 at 5:55pmpost #6 of 139/24/12 at 12:29pmThread StarterA little late on the reply but I was looking for a dac that would not add anything to the sound. It does not need to have a USB out, just a optical out, and i do not need it to be balanced. I could hardly tell the difference with my little dot dac 1 on my headphones. When I used it with my stereo system it killed all the harshness though. I'm looking at more around the 400-500 range. I just want a dac that would clear up the vocals. My ultimate system would have crystal clear vocals with a good amount of defined bass. I listen to a lot of dance type music where vocals and bass are the key elements.post #7 of 139/24/12 at 1:03pmpost #8 of 139/24/12 at 1:47pmThread Starterpost #9 of 139/24/12 at 2:08pm
I personally would recommend something with USB, especially if you have the option of setting up a computer based rig. I recently bought a Peachtree iNova (refurb direct from Peachtree) to replace my Music Hall Mambo. Initially the iNova was connected to my Macbook Pro's optical out same as I had done with the Mambo. Then I started reading about programs like Aurirvana and "integer" DAC modes and such. I decided to try a USB cable I had lying around and the improvement over Toslink optical was startling. The USB trounced optical in so many ways that I now consider USB with "integer mode" a must-have feature for any DAC.
The DAC only version of the iNova is the iDAC and is also available as a refurb. I know it's over your budget but it is Stereophile "Class-A" rated.
- Kampost #10 of 139/24/12 at 2:35pmThread Starterpost #11 of 139/24/12 at 3:00pmQuote:
The iPhone dock ought to work with an adapter cable, best check with Peachtree to be sure.post #12 of 1310/4/12 at 1:06pmThread Starter
- What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Cowon Plenue D 1 second ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 48 seconds ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 59 seconds ago
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 1 minute ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact? 2 minutes ago
- › DNA Stellaris 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › New Inear Prophile-8 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear