- 40 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Upgarde from Essence ST Last post on 7/8/12 at 1:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Review: April Eximus DP-1 Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- DAC to match Graham Slee Solo and HD650 Last post on 6/11/12 at 12:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Can changing a DAC's power supply damage it? Last post on 6/4/12 at 5:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
Design/durability: The earpiece seems very durable, although there are some light finish issues. The braided cable is one of the best in the industry: there are barely any microphonics, it feels...
Photo courtesy of Cozoy INTRODUCTION I recently tested out a couple battery-powered DAC/Amp (Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3) solutions and the battery-free Calyx PaT DAC/Amp with the goal of...
They sound better than anything I've heard at this price point. I use these earbuds with my iPod Nano every day. The one thing that makes these things annoying as crap is the stupid cable that gets...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Inearz/Fisher Hearing for providing me with a review sample of their IE-P650 CIEM in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus Review Hello, my name is Oscar and this is my review of the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus. Creative sent these to me as part of a tour and I did not pay for...
What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not sure what connectivity you will need but I'll throw a couple suggestions your way. The Woo DAC is going to be quite bright and lean, nothing wrong with that, but it is not designed for a rich sound sig. Something else in the same price point would be an Audio Note DAC 2.1, which will blow the Woo out of the water by a far margin. It will also compliment your 650's quite well, I have the 3.1 and it is absolutely fantastic with the 650s. Here is a quick comparison with some current solid state gear. At such a price point I wouldn't be afraid to grab a deal off of audiogon, especially if you don't need a thousand input options. A lot of these DACs that are only a year old are being tossed because of the "input race" so something that was quite a large sum is now hugely discounted (assuming you don't need all the new inputs). Another DAC to keep in mind would be anything from the Bel Canto series. These are really top quality DACs that can compete with the really highend out there (5,000 and up) unlike a lot of the popular DACs floating around. Anyway, if you could specify what you really want in a DAC I think we could offer you some more advice.
If you want to keep your Woo's sound sig with no coloration from the DAC - and I think that is the way it is supposed to be - have a look at Metrum Acoustics Octave.
Edited by Szadzik - 7/10/12 at 7:38am
I personally would recommend something with USB, especially if you have the option of setting up a computer based rig. I recently bought a Peachtree iNova (refurb direct from Peachtree) to replace my Music Hall Mambo. Initially the iNova was connected to my Macbook Pro's optical out same as I had done with the Mambo. Then I started reading about programs like Aurirvana and "integer" DAC modes and such. I decided to try a USB cable I had lying around and the improvement over Toslink optical was startling. The USB trounced optical in so many ways that I now consider USB with "integer mode" a must-have feature for any DAC.
The DAC only version of the iNova is the iDAC and is also available as a refurb. I know it's over your budget but it is Stereophile "Class-A" rated.
The iPhone dock ought to work with an adapter cable, best check with Peachtree to be sure.
- What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Astell&Kern AK380 7 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 34 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 41 seconds ago
- › CUSTOMART AU/NZ CIEM Demo Lineup Tour 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 3 minutes ago
- › Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015 5 minutes ago
- › Bluedio R+ Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones with NFC and APT-X 6 minutes ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 7 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 8 minutes ago
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by nmatheis
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2