- 40 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Upgarde from Essence ST Last post on 7/8/12 at 1:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Review: April Eximus DP-1 Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- DAC to match Graham Slee Solo and HD650 Last post on 6/11/12 at 12:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Can changing a DAC's power supply damage it? Last post on 6/4/12 at 5:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
I own 3 High-end headphones ( HD 600, HD-650s, and HE 500s) and this amplifier does everything I want it to do. The headphones have been driven with authority, speed and transparency. The sound is...
Disclaimer: I would like to thank www.hifinage.com and Fidue for this review sample. I was supposed to keep it for 1 week for evaluation purpose free of charge. I am in no way affiliated to Fidue ...
I received by LG for review purposes. Here are my thoughts are 6 weeks. Aesthetics. The unique ‘on-neck horse-shoe’ design is inconspicuous sits neatly and discreetly around the neck line....
Signature Acoustics C-12: The Elemental Underdog Woodies Company Background Audiophiles love music, especially when played from high quality audio products that contain several different...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank SoundMagic for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. If you live in US, they are currently available at a...
What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not sure what connectivity you will need but I'll throw a couple suggestions your way. The Woo DAC is going to be quite bright and lean, nothing wrong with that, but it is not designed for a rich sound sig. Something else in the same price point would be an Audio Note DAC 2.1, which will blow the Woo out of the water by a far margin. It will also compliment your 650's quite well, I have the 3.1 and it is absolutely fantastic with the 650s. Here is a quick comparison with some current solid state gear. At such a price point I wouldn't be afraid to grab a deal off of audiogon, especially if you don't need a thousand input options. A lot of these DACs that are only a year old are being tossed because of the "input race" so something that was quite a large sum is now hugely discounted (assuming you don't need all the new inputs). Another DAC to keep in mind would be anything from the Bel Canto series. These are really top quality DACs that can compete with the really highend out there (5,000 and up) unlike a lot of the popular DACs floating around. Anyway, if you could specify what you really want in a DAC I think we could offer you some more advice.
If you want to keep your Woo's sound sig with no coloration from the DAC - and I think that is the way it is supposed to be - have a look at Metrum Acoustics Octave.
Edited by Szadzik - 7/10/12 at 7:38am
I personally would recommend something with USB, especially if you have the option of setting up a computer based rig. I recently bought a Peachtree iNova (refurb direct from Peachtree) to replace my Music Hall Mambo. Initially the iNova was connected to my Macbook Pro's optical out same as I had done with the Mambo. Then I started reading about programs like Aurirvana and "integer" DAC modes and such. I decided to try a USB cable I had lying around and the improvement over Toslink optical was startling. The USB trounced optical in so many ways that I now consider USB with "integer mode" a must-have feature for any DAC.
The DAC only version of the iNova is the iDAC and is also available as a refurb. I know it's over your budget but it is Stereophile "Class-A" rated.
The iPhone dock ought to work with an adapter cable, best check with Peachtree to be sure.
- What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 20 seconds ago
- › NOBLE Savant Appreciation Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours) 45 seconds ago
- › Custom Art Pro 330v2 + (Reshell in CA for only €75!) 58 seconds ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › DT990 Pro Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What % of equipment reviews do you believe? 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by GustavoL1
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by vaibhavp
- › LG Electronics TONE INFINIM Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail... by lwbanerjee
- › Signature Acoustics Elements Series C-12 by vlenbo
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)