- 38 Posts. Joined 1/2010
- Location: Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Upgarde from Essence ST Last post on 7/8/12 at 1:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Review: April Eximus DP-1 Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- DAC to match Graham Slee Solo and HD650 Last post on 6/11/12 at 12:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Can changing a DAC's power supply damage it? Last post on 6/4/12 at 5:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
Purchased this system off of Ebay. Overall very good sound, impressive sound output with powerful bass response, at its price point ($250} I think it is the system to beat, the satellites sound...
I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely...
These have been a real dream to listen to. They have a really good range of sound not artificial sounding at all. They have have as a matter fact excellent tremble. They don't pull the mids to...
Ok! Point number 1: horrible button layout! Point number 2: excellent sound quality! The stock theme is badly designed. EDIT: There are custom themes that make the player look much...
I’ve had my Dragon Inspire IHA-1 now for a sufficient time period to post my thoughts. I will use a subjective 5 point scoring system. Setup: Power Conditioning: Blue Circle...
What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not sure what connectivity you will need but I'll throw a couple suggestions your way. The Woo DAC is going to be quite bright and lean, nothing wrong with that, but it is not designed for a rich sound sig. Something else in the same price point would be an Audio Note DAC 2.1, which will blow the Woo out of the water by a far margin. It will also compliment your 650's quite well, I have the 3.1 and it is absolutely fantastic with the 650s. Here is a quick comparison with some current solid state gear. At such a price point I wouldn't be afraid to grab a deal off of audiogon, especially if you don't need a thousand input options. A lot of these DACs that are only a year old are being tossed because of the "input race" so something that was quite a large sum is now hugely discounted (assuming you don't need all the new inputs). Another DAC to keep in mind would be anything from the Bel Canto series. These are really top quality DACs that can compete with the really highend out there (5,000 and up) unlike a lot of the popular DACs floating around. Anyway, if you could specify what you really want in a DAC I think we could offer you some more advice.
If you want to keep your Woo's sound sig with no coloration from the DAC - and I think that is the way it is supposed to be - have a look at Metrum Acoustics Octave.
Edited by Szadzik - 7/10/12 at 7:38am
I personally would recommend something with USB, especially if you have the option of setting up a computer based rig. I recently bought a Peachtree iNova (refurb direct from Peachtree) to replace my Music Hall Mambo. Initially the iNova was connected to my Macbook Pro's optical out same as I had done with the Mambo. Then I started reading about programs like Aurirvana and "integer" DAC modes and such. I decided to try a USB cable I had lying around and the improvement over Toslink optical was startling. The USB trounced optical in so many ways that I now consider USB with "integer mode" a must-have feature for any DAC.
The DAC only version of the iNova is the iDAC and is also available as a refurb. I know it's over your budget but it is Stereophile "Class-A" rated.
The iPhone dock ought to work with an adapter cable, best check with Peachtree to be sure.
- What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FS: Audeze Cable (single ended) 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › EQ cure all? 4 minutes ago
- › Golden Sound (DH Labs) 7' power cords - precursor to "Red" version 4 minutes ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 4 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › 150$ CAD in-ear 6 minutes ago
- › Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System... by Croozer
- › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal... by atkhan
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by Ragingfighter
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)