Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 54

post #796 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

the hd600's will "sing" with the O2.....

 

gosh....

 

Alex


You love it. What was I supposed to say anyhow, they will sound "cold, analytic, and brutally anti-music?" Isn't that what some people say to justify their more expensive purchases? Lol.

post #797 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post

You can't use the high gain with a desktop source, however you will never need to with the HD 600.

What does this even mean?

post #798 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

What does this even mean?

It means the hd600 are very sensitive headphones, and that you'd never need the higher 6.5x gain to drive them. It would be ridiculously loud, at least with a desktop ~2Vrms source..



What gain do you guys use with your cans? I have my o2 set up with 1x/2.5x. Off the ODAC and grados/t50rp and sennheiser I pretty much exclusively use 1x.. With really quiet recordings I will use 2.5x.. and every once in a blue moon I might find 2.5 lacking, usually when I'm using my clip as a source, I don't think I've ever had the problem off the odac.

I think 1x/3.5x would be the ideal set up for someone with my sources, meaning the ODAC and Clip+. I might try to bump up the 2.5 to 3.5, anybody know if this should be doable?

post #799 of 3214

Well, my Ultrasones are 'singin' with the O2...biggrin.gif

 

Just received my good ol' extension cable from Monoprice so my unplug cycles will surely decrease now.  I don't mess with the source as much anymore (like it where it's at) and the WAU16-1000 is always plugged in so minimal unplugging for me on the O2..

 

beerchug.gif

 

 

post #800 of 3214

Finally got it, desktop version of O2/ODAC combo with RCA outputs! My LCD-2 rev2 seem very happy now... So my ears are! tongue_smile.gif

 

 

 


Edited by RustA - 2/6/13 at 1:19pm
post #801 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

While on the topic of high impedance headphones, though not really related to the O2, why do such headphones exist? I mean the DT880 comes in a whopping 600-ohm version....what benefits do higher impedance headphones offer other than having an amp's output impedance being negligible for the "magic" Z_load/Z_source value being greater or equal to 8?

 

They keep down the amount of current needed to supply a given power level. This comes in useful in studios where you have lots of headphones plugged into the same piece of equipment.

post #802 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

It means the hd600 are very sensitive headphones, and that you'd never need the higher 6.5x gain to drive them. It would be ridiculously loud, at least with a desktop ~2Vrms source..



What gain do you guys use with your cans? I have my o2 set up with 1x/2.5x. Off the ODAC and grados/t50rp and sennheiser I pretty much exclusively use 1x.. With really quiet recordings I will use 2.5x.. and every once in a blue moon I might find 2.5 lacking, usually when I'm using my clip as a source, I don't think I've ever had the problem off the odac.

I think 1x/3.5x would be the ideal set up for someone with my sources, meaning the ODAC and Clip+. I might try to bump up the 2.5 to 3.5, anybody know if this should be doable?

ah I see, well I know that but just didn't think that was what he was saying. I have the 2.5x/6.5x, with the HD600s I use the 2.5x but I haven't really even gotten to enjoy the O2 yet as I'm waiting for my power adapter from mouser.com

post #803 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

the hd600's will "sing" with the O2.....

 

gosh....

 

Alex


lol

 

I was making light of how often I read that a certain amp makes a certain headphone sing.

Because the power specs of the O2 and E9 are similar, I was wondering why many say the O2 would make the HD600's sing, but not the E9.

post #804 of 3214
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post
 

What gain do you guys use with your cans? I have my o2 set up with 1x/2.5x. Off the ODAC and grados/t50rp and sennheiser I pretty much exclusively use 1x.. With really quiet recordings I will use 2.5x.. and every once in a blue moon I might find 2.5 lacking, usually when I'm using my clip as a source, I don't think I've ever had the problem off the odac.

 

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and T 70, Sennheiser HD-650, and Grado 325is. For my listening, the 2.5x setting is too much gain for any of them.

post #805 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 and T 70, Sennheiser HD-650, and Grado 325is. For my listening, the 2.5x setting is too much gain for any of them.

Yeah! I couldn't stand 2.5 as the low gain!

I think if the O2 had followed the ODAC he might have dropped the gain options a bit.

post #806 of 3214

The O2 will sing because the E9 has some issues......

 

The main problem is an output impedance of 10 ohms on the 1/4” jack and 43 ohms on the 3.5 mm mini jack. Using the small jack will almost certainly affect frequency response and/or bass performance with many headphones—especially balanced armature IEMs (Shure, Etymotic Ultimate Ears, etc.). While using the bigger jack should work reasonably well for full size higher impedance headphones—80 ohms or higher.

 

Alex

post #807 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

The O2 will sing because the E9 has some issues......

 

The main problem is an output impedance of 10 ohms on the 1/4” jack and 43 ohms on the 3.5 mm mini jack. Using the small jack will almost certainly affect frequency response and/or bass performance with many headphones—especially balanced armature IEMs (Shure, Etymotic Ultimate Ears, etc.). While using the bigger jack should work reasonably well for full size higher impedance headphones—80 ohms or higher.

 

Alex

 

my original post referred to the O2 vs E9 with the HD600's (300 ohms), so the high output impedance of the E9 doesn't really effect the synergy between the E9 and 600's.

I'm not in love with the E9, just wondering why many feel the O2 is leaps and bounds ahead of it with high impedance cans. (I've never heard the O2, and am debating getting one - just trying to decide if spending $150 is worthwhile in my case, considering that I already own the E9)

post #808 of 3214

So... For the third time now I am experiencing noise in the right channel of my o2 while I move the pot during a bass test..

My first o2 I replaced the pot on and it fixed the problem for a while.. When it came back I bought a completely different o2 from jds thinking maybe the problem was my particular o2.. Nope, seems like it's just a problem these pots have. And not a huge problem at that.. It can just be annoying while I'm running sine sweeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMd9eYXT0mM

Please, for the love of all that is headphones. Could a few of you listen to this track and move your volume pot around and tell me if you get any scratching in the right channel?

post #809 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

So... For the third time now I am experiencing noise in the right channel of my o2 while I move the pot during a bass test..

My first o2 I replaced the pot on and it fixed the problem for a while.. When it came back I bought a completely different o2 from jds thinking maybe the problem was my particular o2.. Nope, seems like it's just a problem these pots have. And not a huge problem at that.. It can just be annoying while I'm running sine sweeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMd9eYXT0mM

Please, for the love of all that is headphones. Could a few of you listen to this track and move your volume pot around and tell me if you get any scratching in the right channel?

Nothing unusual pops up for me while listening to that track with an AKG K 701 on the ODAC and O2 units I have. Adjusting the potentiometer yielded nothing unusual either, unless the cymbal sounds are what you're referring to as "scratching sounds".

post #810 of 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Nothing unusual pops up for me while listening to that track with an AKG K 701 on the ODAC and O2 units I have. Adjusting the potentiometer yielded nothing unusual either, unless the cymbal sounds are what you're referring to as "scratching sounds".

Nooope. It'd hit you like a sack of bricks if yours had the same problem that mine keep getting. It's not terrible, but its quite noticeable. I just used this track because it's pretty bassy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC