Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 288

post #4306 of 4315
You're right, life would be boring if it wasn't in colour. I'm easily confused too. Thank goodness we have facts and figures to prove the point. If only it were that easy.......
post #4307 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeanidea View Post

You're right, life would be boring if it wasn't in colour. I'm easily confused too. Thank goodness we have facts and figures to prove the point. If only it were that easy.......

 

+1

 

You're absolutely right.  It's a good thing that measurement devices are not susceptible to the cognitive  biases people are.

 

If you're willing to be really honest, you'd have to admit that you don't hear the same thing from the same gear all the time. 

 

There are so many factors that influence how and what you perceive you're hearing on a daily and day to day basis.  Emotion, mood, fatigue, expectation, time of day, barometric pressure etc...

post #4308 of 4315

I'm glad I've got cognitive bias. It helps me enjoy my music more. Happy listening :o2smile:

post #4309 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeanidea View Post
 

I'm glad I've got cognitive bias. It helps me enjoy my music more. Happy listening :o2smile:

 

The problem with cognitive bias is that it's not reliable.  One time it might help you enjoy your music and another time it may work the other way.  Anyway, it's only a hobby! :beyersmile:

post #4310 of 4315

Am I right to think that the HD600 would be one of the best headphones for the ODAC+O2 combo due to its neutrality?

post #4311 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draulius View Post
 

Am I right to think that the HD600 would be one of the best headphones for the ODAC+O2 combo due to its neutrality?

The best headphone for the ODAC+O2 would be one whose sound signature you already love, since it does practically nothing to the sound. If you so happen to like the HD600's sound, then yes, it'll be the best for you.

post #4312 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
 

 

+1

 

You're absolutely right.  It's a good thing that measurement devices are not susceptible to the cognitive  biases people are.

 

If you're willing to be really honest, you'd have to admit that you don't hear the same thing from the same gear all the time. 

 

There are so many factors that influence how and what you perceive you're hearing on a daily and day to day basis.  Emotion, mood, fatigue, expectation, time of day, barometric pressure etc...


Agreed mate. I would add that auditory memory is also quite short, as I recall it lasts only about 3-4 seconds and even then only vaguely. As a result AB testing must necessarily be quick during transitions, and listening impressions should be reinforced with objective measurement.

post #4313 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerfong View Post
 

The best headphone for the ODAC+O2 would be one whose sound signature you already love, since it does practically nothing to the sound. If you so happen to like the HD600's sound, then yes, it'll be the best for you.

 

Not sure if it's that simple. The headphones is last in the chain before it hits your ears. The source and amp can greatly effect the collective combo in the chain of events. I ran my concero Hd, Burson da160 and space tech labs tube dac with my 02 objective and the "sound" was worlds apart different using the same headphones. Also adding a grant fidelity tube buffer with black treasure CV181 tubes changes the sound as well.

 

The human ear can take neutral as boring and not very engaging. This is where you can colourize the source to be more musical. Source also plays a critical role in how it presents the music as it's converted from digital to analog. As you may know not all dac's sound the same.  I must also mention how the music was mastered as well. 

 

I personally would not use the ODAC but it comes down to personal preference. I'll have to say I could happily use my objective 02 amp connected to my Space tech tube dac and super rectifier (similar setup to the woo WA5 LE minus amp section) and leave my Burson Virtuoso alone  in the dark turned "off". The sound quality I get with this combo with inexpensive objective 02 amp is incredible. 

 

However imo the 02 amp's probably well paired to a warmer headphone. 

post #4314 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanU View Post
 

 

Not sure if it's that simple. The headphones is last in the chain before it hits your ears. The source and amp can greatly effect the collective combo in the chain of events. I ran my concero Hd, Burson da160 and space tech labs tube dac with my 02 objective and the "sound" was worlds apart different using the same headphones. Also adding a grant fidelity tube buffer with black treasure CV181 tubes changes the sound as well.

 

The human ear can take neutral as boring and not very engaging. This is where you can colourize the source to be more musical. Source also plays a critical role in how it presents the music as it's converted from digital to analog. As you may know not all dac's sound the same.  I must also mention how the music was mastered as well. 

 

I personally would not use the ODAC but it comes down to personal preference. I'll have to say I could happily use my objective 02 amp connected to my Space tech tube dac and super rectifier (similar setup to the woo WA5 LE minus amp section) and leave my Burson Virtuoso alone  in the dark turned "off". The sound quality I get with this combo with inexpensive objective 02 amp is incredible. 

 

However imo the 02 amp's probably well paired to a warmer headphone. 

Well, then your ears are very different from mine, because to me, the O2 does nothing but make it go louder. Other amps may or may not colour your source. That being said, if you don't want absolute neutral, why not get another pair of headphones that have the sound you want, rather than messing around with amps? You'll be doing yourself a much greater service if you do that.

 

Problem about your statement on DAC's in general is that DAC's aren't meant to colour the source. They're meant to take your PCM signal, then churn out an analog signal accordingly. You might have bass boost or whatnot, but the overall point isn't to deviate from the intended signal. Amps also try to achieve linearity, but tube amps can't manage this as well as solid-state devices, hence the different sound. 

 

If you like the O2 amp with warmer headphones, that means you like (gasp) warm headphones!


Edited by dazzerfong - Yesterday at 11:20 pm
post #4315 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanU View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerfong View Post
 

The best headphone for the ODAC+O2 would be one whose sound signature you already love, since it does practically nothing to the sound. If you so happen to like the HD600's sound, then yes, it'll be the best for you.

 

Not sure if it's that simple. The headphones is last in the chain before it hits your ears. The source and amp can greatly effect the collective combo in the chain of events. I ran my concero Hd, Burson da160 and space tech labs tube dac with my 02 objective and the "sound" was worlds apart different using the same headphones. Also adding a grant fidelity tube buffer with black treasure CV181 tubes changes the sound as well.

 

The human ear can take neutral as boring and not very engaging. This is where you can colourize the source to be more musical. Source also plays a critical role in how it presents the music as it's converted from digital to analog. As you may know not all dac's sound the same.  I must also mention how the music was mastered as well. 

 

I personally would not use the ODAC but it comes down to personal preference. I'll have to say I could happily use my objective 02 amp connected to my Space tech tube dac and super rectifier (similar setup to the woo WA5 LE minus amp section) and leave my Burson Virtuoso alone  in the dark turned "off". The sound quality I get with this combo with inexpensive objective 02 amp is incredible. 

 

However imo the 02 amp's probably well paired to a warmer headphone. 


so your point against the O2 being transparent is that it is transparent. of course not everybody will like a neutral transparent sound, but what was said above is still true, if you really like the sound of one headphone, then you will like it with the O2 because nothing with change much.

your preference for another source just shows that you like the sound of the headphone altered in a certain way. nothing wrong with that, but what @dazzerfong wrote still stands IMO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC