Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 29

post #421 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


Depends on what kind of upgrade you're looking for. I feel an inbuilt power supply would be good for start.

What exactly would that do to the sound? confused_face.gif

post #422 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


Depends on what kind of upgrade you're looking for. I feel an inbuilt power supply would be good for start.

What exactly would that do to the sound? confused_face.gif

 

Probably nothing but I, too, like to have an integrated transformer. And the connections on the back and output connections on the front.

post #423 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

Having a O2/ODAC combo, I was wondering. What would be considered an upgrade for this combo?

Well the O2/ODAC could certainly use some usability modifications (like everyone said, possibly inbuilt power supply, input connections on back) but actual upgrade wise you're going to be making a rather large jump in price before you get anywhere.
post #424 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbob102000 View Post


Well the O2/ODAC could certainly use some usability modifications (like everyone said, possibly inbuilt power supply, input connections on back) but actual upgrade wise you're going to be making a rather large jump in price before you get anywhere.

 

Any examples on what these actual upgrades are? And around what price?

 

Thanks!

post #425 of 2725

Remember the what the O2 was designed to be....low cost, fewest parts, best performance..and portable...

 

You start putting stuff in the box, it gets big, and can add problems, like a transformer in the box with all its worts....

 

Not saying it cant be done, or having a larger enclosure is a bad thing...

 

Would be nice to see what the ODA really was or hopefully is going to be....

 

I personally like to have a larger phone jack and rca's...but these can be added easily....

 

Alex

post #426 of 2725

Yeah I'm curious about the ODA as well. But the maker seems to be busy these days(?) 

post #427 of 2725

Here are some neat pix of someones O2 Black cube...really neat...

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

Just might be my next project..

 

Alex

post #428 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

Remember the what the O2 was designed to be....low cost, fewest parts, best performance..and portable...

 

You start putting stuff in the box, it gets big, and can add problems, like a transformer in the box with all its worts....

 

Not saying it cant be done, or having a larger enclosure is a bad thing...

 

Would be nice to see what the ODA really was or hopefully is going to be....

 

I personally like to have a larger phone jack and rca's...but these can be added easily....

 

Excellent points.

 

The upgrades I wanted to have aren't actually to the Objective2 amplifier, they're to the package in which it's usually distributed. But, I knew what I was getting when I bought mine and it still sounds great (and even better with my Black-Friday T70's!)

post #429 of 2725

I still am amazed at what this "tiny" device can do....for the cost and how well it drives 98% of the cans out there....

 

I listen to my friends getting super large power supplies, filtering etc....and I just tell them i run off of pure "dc" when i show

them the 2 -  9 volt batteries they are flabber-gasted.....lol.

 

Total transparency for approx $100 in parts, some soldering, a few hours and voila...world class head amp, pure DC.

 

Alex

post #430 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

I listen to my friends getting super large power supplies, filtering etc....and I just tell them i run off of pure "dc" when i show

them the 2 -  9 volt batteries they are flabber-gasted.....lol.

 

Uh, oh. I just bought me a megapower supply: 16V at 1,000mA. It increased the ODAC+O2's bundled price by $11!

post #431 of 2725

Okay well a powered USB Hub is allowing both of my devices to work so you were right proton007. It is really quite weird but my power supply is 5 years old and I am running a GTX 670 so maybe its time to retire the poor fellow for an eternal rest. I don't prefer using a powered USB hub so I guess its time to go power supply shopping (I was planning on getting a dedicated Physx card anyways)

Sorry to get a little off topic.

Thanks again guys.

post #432 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunneLVisioN42 View Post

Okay well a powered USB Hub is allowing both of my devices to work so you were right proton007. It is really quite weird but my power supply is 5 years old and I am running a GTX 670 so maybe its time to retire the poor fellow for an eternal rest. I don't prefer using a powered USB hub so I guess its time to go power supply shopping (I was planning on getting a dedicated Physx card anyways)


Sorry to get a little off topic.


Thanks again guys.

It may not be your PSU, it could just be due to how your mobo is designed. I haven't had that particular problem with my RIVE, but I've seen similar problems before in regards to USB powered devices.
post #433 of 2725

I was thinking about getting the 02 + ODAC to upgrade my Creative USB Sound Blaster HD for my HD650s. The question I have is will having to use an adapter to go from the 6.5 mm jack to 3.5 mm to fit in the O2 hurt the sound quality?

 

I really wish he'd release the ODA. I also have my BX5a monitors connected to the Sound Blaster via RCA cables. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that either with the O2.

post #434 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojosama View Post

I was thinking about getting the 02 + ODAC to upgrade my Creative USB Sound Blaster HD for my HD650s. The question I have is will having to use an adapter to go from the 6.5 mm jack to 3.5 mm to fit in the O2 hurt the sound quality?

 

I really wish he'd release the ODA. I also have my BX5a monitors connected to the Sound Blaster via RCA cables. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that either with the O2.

 

No, it won't hurt the sound quality. Along with the HD-650, I've connected Beyerdynamic's DT 990 Premium and T70. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic ship 6.3-3.5mm adapters with these models and they all sound fantabulous with the ODAC+O2 combo.

 

You could leave the BX5a's connected to the SB even if it's not ideal. That's what I do for my Audioengine A5's. I'd rather have two, switchable outputs but not enough to swap a great combo for something else. I'm an ODAC+O2 fanboy.

 

If the ODA has two outputs and especially if it has two inputs, my Matrix M-Stage is history.


Edited by HamilcarBarca - 11/27/12 at 8:24pm
post #435 of 2725

I use a short cable that remains in the 3.5 mm mini connector in the O2 amp and plug the cans 1/4 " into the other end of the cable....this

way I am not inserting the cans directly into the amp...the 3.5 mm connector in the build is not that robust of  a mechanical connector....

and i dont want to have to eventually remove it and replace it. I think the duty cycle is 1000 insertions etc...so maybe its not an issue but by using this short

pigtal  its not an issue...

 

Alex

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC