Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 246

post #3676 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post
 

Negative, there is a charging circuit in anything that uses rechargable batteries to prevent this from happening. At least, anything that is well designed.. Same thing goes for your phone, except there may be a circuit in the charger as well as the phone in that case. Designers anticipate this problem. 

So, it's safe for me to just keep powering the O2 with the AC adapter with the batteries then? That's good to know.

post #3677 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublin View Post
 

So, it's safe for me to just keep powering the O2 with the AC adapter with the batteries then? That's good to know.

Yup! I'm sure others will chime in with the same answer, or if I am wrong :)

post #3678 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

Yup! I'm sure others will chime in with the same answer, or if I am wrong smily_headphones1.gif
I think maybe the O2 wouldn't work without the battery in there even if the adaptor is plugged. Maybe the AC current has to pass thru the batteries to get thru? But I'm not sure.
post #3679 of 5421

O2 will work without the batteries and powered only by an AC adaptor. It's better to leave the battery out if you are just going to use O2 as a desktop amp and no intention of using it as a portable.

post #3680 of 5421

If you leave the batteries in and use AC, once in awhile disconnect the AC power and use the batteries and run them down so they will be recharged. If you don't do this your batteries will most likely have a shorter lifespan.

 

Alex

post #3681 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post
 

If you leave the batteries in and use AC, once in awhile disconnect the AC power and use the batteries and run them down so they will be recharged. If you don't do this your batteries will most likely have a shorter lifespan.

 

Alex

I don't quite understand. Does it mean that in order to have a longer battery lifespan, I should leave them on while running on AC?

post #3682 of 5421
Batteries like to go through the charge cycle every so often, it keeps them fresh. However, if you're never likely to use the O2 as a portable then there's no point in them being in there. Other than to add a little mass to counter the tugging of cables.
post #3683 of 5421

batteries differ by chemistry as to what they want - NiMH don't really like float/trickle charge - more recent formulations may withstand it better than older ones

 

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_nickel_metal_hydride

 

NiMH is the more common rechargable "9 V" battery today

 

the O2 charging circuit isn't smart enough to give good battery cycle life - but it usually isn't critical

post #3684 of 5421

If you don't need the batteries then just take them out.

Alex

post #3685 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

If you don't need the batteries then just take them out.
Alex
Is there anything bad that might happen if you leave them there but permanently plug the AC adaptor? Batteries exploding like mad and destroying my headphones 1 foot farther? What would be the extent of damage? What's the radius of the explosion and after effects? Does this cause radiation? Do I have to wear masks? Is there an antidote? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #3686 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

My new Samurai X themed O2+ODAC from JDS Labs. The free engraving turns out to be great. I didn't expect it would cover the whole area on the top.

 

 

 

Look nice.

 

My O2 and ODAC is DIY from JDS'boards. I'm thinking of wrapping them in giftwrap paper (the ODAC is put inside a plastic box, the O2 a metal one).

post #3687 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

If you leave the batteries in and use AC, once in awhile disconnect the AC power and use the batteries and run them down so they will be recharged. If you don't do this your batteries will most likely have a shorter lifespan.

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post

Is there anything bad that might happen if you leave them there but permanently plug the AC adaptor? Batteries exploding like mad and destroying my headphones 1 foot farther? What would be the extent of damage? What's the radius of the explosion and after effects? Does this cause radiation? Do I have to wear masks? Is there an antidote? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Seriously, would the battery explode or leak if I permanently plug the AC adaptor like a desktop amp?
post #3688 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post



Seriously, would the battery explode or leak if I permanently plug the AC adaptor like a desktop amp?

 

I don't think it will explode. It just make the lifespan very short.

post #3689 of 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

I don't think it will explode. It just make the lifespan very short.
Thanks.
post #3690 of 5421
Does any of you have the customized O2 with 6.5mm HP out jack and RCA inputs? Do you find the sound different from the regular 3.5mm out and in?

I find my customized O2 better at the low frequencies. I'm serious.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC