or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 148

post #2206 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I have the C5D right not and I personally feel that it's not up to snuff.  It sound artificial.  

 

The thing is I've tried feeding other DACs to the O2, and I could notice the suttle differences, and favor the ODAC.   The thing is I need a good DAC/Amp combo, and from what it sounds, you think it's the amp that makes the sound transparent.  I put lots of weight on the ODAC also.  Without both, it's not transparent to me.  I guess I will try the Leckerton and find out if it can match the ODAC/O2 combo.

 

I will get an ODAC in the future and make further comparison. My DX50 with Rockbox sounds the most transparent to me.

 

I agree the C5D sounds artificial. I was hoping it to be closer to O2 since JDS Labs is making both O2 and ODAC. It would have been the perfect portable amp since it's thinner and narrower albeit longer than the leckerton but matches most DAPs in dimension.

 

It actually stacks perfectly with DX50 and is friendly inside my pocket. (loose pocket, not the tight ones :) )

post #2207 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

 
I have the C5D right not and I personally feel that it's not up to snuff.  It sound artificial.  

The thing is I've tried feeding other DACs to the O2, and I could notice the suttle differences, and favor the ODAC.   The thing is I need a good DAC/Amp combo, and from what it sounds, you think it's the amp that makes the sound transparent.  I put lots of weight on the ODAC also.  Without both, it's not transparent to me.  I guess I will try the Leckerton and find out if it can match the ODAC/O2 combo.

I will get an ODAC in the future and make further comparison. My DX50 with Rockbox sounds the most transparent to me.

I agree the C5D sounds artificial. I was hoping it to be closer to O2 since JDS Labs is making both O2 and ODAC. It would have been the perfect portable amp since it's thinner and narrower albeit longer than the leckerton but matches most DAPs in dimension.

It actually stacks perfectly with DX50 and is friendly inside my pocket. (loose pocket, not the tight ones smily_headphones1.gif )
JDS Labs makes the C5D, they only assemble the O2 and ODAC. The latter were made by NwAvGuy ≠ JDS Labs.
post #2208 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


JDS Labs makes the C5D, they only assemble the O2 and ODAC. The latter were made by NwAvGuy ≠ JDS Labs.

 

I know that. Geez just saying since they are assembling O2 and ODAC, I'm assuming they could have cook up something similar SQ-wise on a smaller package.

post #2209 of 5251

If you're in Singapore and have to import anyway, take a look at the Epiphany acoustics version of the ODAC/O2.  But check about the voltage offerings.  On the JDS the normal high gain setting is x6.5 I believe.  That's simply too much, distortion starts kicking in with a vengeance and it'll be driven into clipping with some cans/music/volume combos.  If JDS offer an option to lower the standard gain settings I'd take it if I were you.  

post #2210 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee89 View Post

Your surface mount soldering looks cleaner than mine!

I also did the same mistake: soldering an IC backwards.. I fixed it by using a heatgun, and ensuring I did not apply more heat than necessary, and stopping once the IC showed signs of moving.

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your heatgun approach! I'll definitely have to give that a try the next time I have to remove a multipin component.
post #2211 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

If you're in Singapore and have to import anyway, take a look at the Epiphany acoustics version of the ODAC/O2.  But check about the voltage offerings.  On the JDS the normal high gain setting is x6.5 I believe.  That's simply too much, distortion starts kicking in with a vengeance and it'll be driven into clipping with some cans/music/volume combos.  If JDS offer an option to lower the standard gain settings I'd take it if I were you.  

 

I already have an O2 and it's available locally which was from JDS Labs. The gain setting is easy to change by just clipping the resistor on the 6.5x. Now my O2 has 1x and 2.5x gain.

post #2212 of 5251
Has someone got the limited edition of the combo O2+DAC ?
post #2213 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

If you're in Singapore and have to import anyway, take a look at the Epiphany acoustics version of the ODAC/O2.  But check about the voltage offerings.  On the JDS the normal high gain setting is x6.5 I believe.  That's simply too much, distortion starts kicking in with a vengeance and it'll be driven into clipping with some cans/music/volume combos.  If JDS offer an option to lower the standard gain settings I'd take it if I were you.  


jds manuals says you need a higher rating ac converter.

post #2214 of 5251

I can't say anything about JDS as I don't own their version but I did try that with the Epiphany Acoustics one which I still own:  did't make a difference to me.  But once again, can't say about the JDS product.

post #2215 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

I can't say anything about JDS as I don't own their version but I did try that with the Epiphany Acoustics one which I still own:  did't make a difference to me.  But once again, can't say about the JDS product.


Should be the same thing really...
I guess we can use the low gain only then

post #2216 of 5251

Guys,

 

What is your opinion on M stage VS O2 amp?

 

There are very less comparisons between these two. Any light upon this topic would be really helpful.

 

Purely based upon SQ, ignoring all other factors like price and portability.

post #2217 of 5251
I need help. No, really. I was just about to order the O2+ODAC when I noticed the limited edition.

All my music is accessed via my Mac mini right now. I want to output via USB to the O2+ODAC then to my headphones. If I could also output from the ODAC via RCA (L+R) to my Marantz stereo amp which powers my loudspeakers that would be perfect.

In the specs for the limited edition it states that it has both RCA analogue input and RCA DAC line output. When I look at the photo though I only see one pair (L+R) of RCA sockets. Do these sockets act as either input or output depending on what they are connected to? Is that even possible? What am I missing? I have no use for an RCA input and can't think why anyone would.
post #2218 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

I need help. No, really. I was just about to order the O2+ODAC when I noticed the limited edition.

All my music is accessed via my Mac mini right now. I want to output via USB to the O2+ODAC then to my headphones. If I could also output from the ODAC via RCA (L+R) to my Marantz stereo amp which powers my loudspeakers that would be perfect.

In the specs for the limited edition it states that it has both RCA analogue input and RCA DAC line output. When I look at the photo though I only see one pair (L+R) of RCA sockets. Do these sockets act as either input or output depending on what they are connected to? Is that even possible? What am I missing? I have no use for an RCA input and can't think why anyone would.

 

It looks like it can either output from RCA as a standalone DAC, or act as an amp from being connected to a DAC via RCA.

 

I'd send an email to JDS to clarify this.

post #2219 of 5251

@Zorrofox

 

Especially since you are from Europe, you would be cheaper and much better off with the Head'N'Hifi desktop version which also works as a preamp. Add ODAC normal or XL version as you like (you should also choose 1x / 3x custom gains for O2). Having everything in one case is pointless unless you really need small footprint for serious mobile use etc (but he does also have the combo version). Choose Weekly shipping option so it comes from Germany (no customs).


Edited by hekeli - 3/24/14 at 4:30am
post #2220 of 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee89 View Post

It looks like it can either output from RCA as a standalone DAC, or act as an amp from being connected to a DAC via RCA.

I'd send an email to JDS to clarify this.

Yeah, I've emailed them about this. They could make it a bit clearer I think. It makes sense an output bypassing the amp section (with power off) but I can't work out why anyone would need an RCA analogue input.

Thanks for the advice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC