or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 130

post #1936 of 5263
It should work, but you gonna need linear usb power supply to power the ODAC
post #1937 of 5263

Hi

 

I'm thinking of DIYing my own O2+DAC combo in order to give a audio standard across all my PCs. Being in the UK, it appears Headnhifi have the best prices for the kits, but I was wondering if anyone has ordered stuff from them for delivery in the UK and whether that attracted any extra taxes?

 

It'd be nice not to have a sting in the tail after saving a good amount of building the combo myself. :D

post #1938 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by locksbury View Post
 

Hi

 

I'm thinking of DIYing my own O2+DAC combo in order to give a audio standard across all my PCs. Being in the UK, it appears Headnhifi have the best prices for the kits, but I was wondering if anyone has ordered stuff from them for delivery in the UK and whether that attracted any extra taxes?

 

It'd be nice not to have a sting in the tail after saving a good amount of building the combo myself. :D

I did order from them 3 or 4 times and got taxed only once. The only way to avoid taxes is to get lucky.

post #1939 of 5263

You pay extra taxes from item from Switzerland? I thought they are with EEA something? He has a new design this year. Clean front plates, and some extra rca i/o at the back.

post #1940 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikaldrey View Post
 

You pay extra taxes from item from Switzerland?

Yes. I don't understand it myself but it can't be helped.

I don't mind paying taxes but £8 royalmail fee is way too much, especially when the tax itself is £3.


Edited by ProTofik - 1/28/14 at 7:25am
post #1941 of 5263

Switzerland is not EU so taxes apply. But if you choose "Weekly Priority Mail" as delivery option, it's sent from Germany every Wednesday, so no taxes. I guess this is a bit obscured info so many people don't realize it.


Edited by hekeli - 1/28/14 at 7:27am
post #1942 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post
 

Switzerland is not EU so taxes apply. But if you choose "Weekly Priority Mail" as delivery option, it's sent from Germany every Wednesday, so no taxes. I guess this is a bit obscured info so many people don't realize it.

Thanks for this info.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTofik View Post
 

Yes. I don't understand it myself but it can't be helped.

I don't mind paying taxes but £8 royalmail fee is way too much, especially when the tax itself is £3.


I don't mind paying the extra fee to Royal Mail as they are doing this service. What is absurd is this service is the default, and they don't give information to people that there is a way around this. I am not from the UK but lived there for just 5 years, I get so irritated every time I hear this Royal Mail fee. Now, the way around this is to tell the sender to label the parcel with "Goods to be declared/cleared by the recipient" or something like that and your Customs will contact you directly and you would have to complete some forms and pay them directly. It's not worth 8GBP for 1 item.

 

Back to topic, even with the extra fees it is still cheaper than buying locally. I think the only advantage of buying locally is if you value your country's economy. ;P

post #1943 of 5263

Quote:

Originally Posted by hekeli View Post
 

Switzerland is not EU so taxes apply. But if you choose "Weekly Priority Mail" as delivery option, it's sent from Germany every Wednesday, so no taxes. I guess this is a bit obscured info so many people don't realize it.

I did spot this option and read about it on Headnhifis website, but just wanted to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTofik View Post
 

I did order from them 3 or 4 times and got taxed only once. The only way to avoid taxes is to get lucky.


Just as I thought; I'll have to take my chances then. :D


Edited by locksbury - 1/28/14 at 10:28am
post #1944 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by locksbury View Post
 

Quote:

I did spot this option and read about it on Headnhifis website, but just wanted to check.


Just as I thought; I'll have to take my chances then. :D

 

Well, if you use the EU shipping option there should be no duties or taxes for you since it's inside EU. At least that's what it was for me...

 

Joachim

post #1945 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
 

 

Well, if you use the EU shipping option there should be no duties or taxes for you since it's inside EU. At least that's what it was for me...

 

Joachim


Yeah, if the chap is popping over the border to Germany to post things, then no extra tax. :D

post #1946 of 5263

my o2, odac have been running for 300+ hours with a DT1350. all i can say it's amazing. didn't sound good first later it gets better and better. not sure why. maybe some breakin and some mental break in. i really like this set up then xonar stx and ma900, however it's different with a open headphone.

 

one question. when i put the miles davis trumpet on the o2 and odac it sounded like, completely wrong. why is that? anybody tried this? on the stx is ok. the sound is like muffled and like when you halfway plug an earphone sometimes in a player you hear partial sounds.

post #1947 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleking View Post

my o2, odac have been running for 300+ hours with a DT1350. all i can say it's amazing. didn't sound good first later it gets better and better. not sure why. maybe some breakin and some mental break in. i really like this set up then xonar stx and ma900, however it's different with a open headphone.

one question. when i put the miles davis trumpet on the o2 and odac it sounded like, completely wrong. why is that? anybody tried this? on the stx is ok. the sound is like muffled and like when you halfway plug an earphone sometimes in a player you hear partial sounds.

Maybe cos miles never had a good sound? wink.gif
post #1948 of 5263

muscle.....what cd / track exhibits this sound?

 

I find that the o2 and odac follows the old adage "garbage in ..garbage out"...many songs I like have

been recorded really crappy....etc...

 

I look for the music I like that is well recorded and mastered....there is so much mediocre stuff out there...

 

Alex

post #1949 of 5263

Muhahahah, just got paid! Now to order that O2+ODAC kit in blue. The X3 can wait. :cool:


Edited by locksbury - 1/30/14 at 10:28am
post #1950 of 5263

I just bought the new O2 (the one with no battery and with RCA/ power/ input on the back) from headnhifi.com in Switzerland, because I live here.

i can make some photos if you want, but you can find them here http://www.headnhifi.com/O2-desktop-amplifier


I'm quite happy, this is my first headphone amp and I was skeptical: turns out the difference is quite noticeable. But onestly, I'm more surprised by how good it looks than its sound :D. Anyway, now my chain is complete and I'm happy of its sound.
I use it with the HE400 from hifiman.

I'm just curious of 2 things, I'm sure you can answer me.

1) Should i leave the jack in when I turn on the amp ? And when I turn it off? Should the volume be down to zero?

2) The Odac light is always on, even when my pc is off, will this ruin it? How do you turn it off?



And, just as a curiosity, for those of you that have the he400 with this amp, is 9'o clock a safe listening volume (with low gain). At what volume do you listen? I already have tinnitus on cold months (every year), I don't want to damage my earing :D 

 

 

thank you


Edited by realityhas - 1/30/14 at 11:51am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC