Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

O2 AMP + ODAC - Page 117

post #1741 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler

 

I sold the O2 to fund an Asgard 2 purchase (which I hated). No clue why I did that..in the end I just ended up with a new DAC :confused_face(1):. Should have just kept the O2 since it was for my bedroom setup.

I was stupid and wanted slightly smoother treble. We're talking like a 3-5% improvement for long listening sessions! Can you say nit-picking?

 

 

Well, the JDS Labs O2 is only $130 now, a little cheaper than when I first bought it.

post #1742 of 3480

Gosh...for $130, to me this is the buy of the century for GREAT perfomance.

 

Alex

post #1743 of 3480

^^^^^ What you said. Even though I paid something like $320 for an O2 and an ODAC, I would do it again in a heartbeat. That you can get both right now for $280 is just awesome. Though, honestly, I am not 100% sure the ODAC was a must :wink_face:

post #1744 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post
 

^^^^^ What you said. Even though I paid something like $320 for an O2 and an ODAC, I would do it again in a heartbeat. That you can get both right now for $280 is just awesome. Though, honestly, I am not 100% sure the ODAC was a must :wink_face:

 

I'm going to end up getting the ODAC because I'm about at the end of my rope with my current DAC (an eMu 0202, which requires drivers and doesn't play too nicely with the computer anymore).

post #1745 of 3480

Does anyone know how the ODAC compares to the built in DAC of the asus xonar essence STX? I'm considering getting the ODAC stand alone to hook up to my emotiva x a100 because my STX is producing too much hiss from my computer.

post #1746 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 

Does anyone know how the ODAC compares to the built in DAC of the asus xonar essence STX? I'm considering getting the ODAC stand alone to hook up to my emotiva x a100 because my STX is producing too much hiss from my computer.


The ODAC will give you 0 Hiss. It is totally black. That is the best feature, and at first, the strangest thing in the world (I guess I was used to SOME level of noise from all my devices).

 

That said, the STX is a very good DAC. Near all the computer sound cards I have heard in recent years are very, very good. Overall sound quality I doubt there is much difference between ODAC and STX. BUT the noise levels are certainly a change.

 

In terms of features, however, you are giving up a lot. The ODAC only reproduces up to 24-bit 92khz, so it will downsample Blu-Rays. There are no DSP features and only a single 3.5mm output. I do use mine as a soundcard, essentially, and in that role I have found no faults. It is plug n play via USB, but you will need a permanent USB connection for it which may not be as 'clean' an install as an internal card.

post #1747 of 3480

The STX DAC has about the same SNR on the line output as the ODAC at 44.1 kHz, and is better than the ODAC at 48 and 96 kHz.

 

Audible noise with speakers or anything driven by an external amplifier is most likely caused by a ground loop. So, if you do get the ODAC, you may want to invest in a USB isolator as well.

post #1748 of 3480

Interesting....sigh, why must finding a DAC prove to be so difficult! :confused_face: 

Is the ODAC comparable to the Audioengine D1?

post #1749 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 

Interesting....sigh, why must finding a DAC prove to be so difficult! :confused_face: 

Is the ODAC comparable to the Audioengine D1?


D1 is more versatile - it has an optical input, RCA outputs, volume control and supports up to 192Khz.

ODAC has (IMHO) a better DAC chip.

 

If you have an optical out, go with D1 - optical usually results in better SQ than USB.

Anyway, you will be happy with either one - no wrong choice here really.

post #1750 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 


D1 is more versatile - it has an optical input, RCA outputs, volume control and supports up to 192Khz.

ODAC has (IMHO) a better DAC chip.

 

If you have an optical out, go with D1 - optical usually results in better SQ than USB.

Anyway, you will be happy with either one - no wrong choice here really.

Can you substantiate that claim with anything other than assumption? Not to pick on you, but I am not sure what difference there is between optical and USB other than different connectors.

 

What are the specifications of each? USB is known to handle 24-bit, 92 khz. I don't think optical is actually THAT good in comparison. A quick Google search shows that toslink is lower voltage, and 20-bit 48khz max. It doesn't do multi-channel HD audio unless it is compressed.

post #1751 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post

Can you substantiate that claim with anything other than assumption? Not to pick on you, but I am not sure what difference there is between optical and USB other than different connectors.

What are the specifications of each? USB is known to handle 24-bit, 92 khz. I don't think optical is actually THAT good in comparison. A quick Google search shows that toslink is lower voltage, and 20-bit 48khz max. It doesn't do multi-channel HD audio unless it is compressed.

Vinyl is better than cd.
2 channel is better than 5.1
Tubes are better than solid state.

See where I'm going with this?
post #1752 of 3480

disagree totally....

 

sorry

Alex

post #1753 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


Vinyl is better than cd.
2 channel is better than 5.1
Tubes are better than solid state.

See where I'm going with this?

I am laughing out loud. I guess this is yet another time to be quiet.

post #1754 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post
 

Can you substantiate that claim with anything other than assumption? Not to pick on you, but I am not sure what difference there is between optical and USB other than different connectors.

 

What are the specifications of each? USB is known to handle 24-bit, 92 khz. I don't think optical is actually THAT good in comparison. A quick Google search shows that toslink is lower voltage, and 20-bit 48khz max. It doesn't do multi-channel HD audio unless it is compressed.


Just my personal experience, especially with NFB-11.32.

Using a good USB to Optical/Coax converter improved the sound compared to USB.

There are others in the NFB-11.32 thread that reported similar experience.

post #1755 of 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

Vinyl is better than cd.
2 channel is better than 5.1
Tubes are better than solid state.

See where I'm going with this?

I suppose he's being ironic... maybe not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › O2 AMP + ODAC