Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SoundMAGIC HP100 Review - Page 30

post #436 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by michnix View Post

would a Matrix M-Stage qualify ?

thanks.

I would go for something like the iCan instead. The M-Stage's 5ohm output impedence is too high for the HP100. I have both amps, snd when I had the HP100 it did not mesh well with the M-Stage.
post #437 of 833

I've got a Headroom Micro Amp inbound.  I can compare it to my Purity Audio KICAS (although the KICAS has been giving me trouble lately).  It's supposed to have a good amount of power.  I like the different gain stages and the potential of crossfeed, as well.

post #438 of 833

the hanger of my HP100 broke at the joint. Anyone has this issue before and would Soundmagic willing to do the repair ?

 

post #439 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post

I've got a Headroom Micro Amp inbound.  I can compare it to my Purity Audio KICAS (although the KICAS has been giving me trouble lately).  It's supposed to have a good amount of power.  I like the different gain stages and the potential of crossfeed, as well.

 

Good choice! Just a suggestion..plug it straight into the wall for the best sound. I won't go there...

I actually found it to sound good with every headphone unlike the E9, Magni and Asgard 1. I'm using mine with the Modi.

It's not a warm sounding amp and it's not "cold and analytical" like the Magni was.

 

I still need to try out the HP100. I just now have been reading about it. Even the measurements look good..

post #440 of 833
Thread Starter 
How did that break like that?!

They should repair it for you, they have very good customer service but take a while to respond to emails sometimes.
post #441 of 833

That looks nasty, I'll be careful with mine.

post #442 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

I still need to try out the HP100. I just now have been reading about it. Even the measurements look good..

 

I think you should go back and look at the scale on the provided measurements. ;) About a 25dB dip at ~1.7KHz, and the lumpiness in the upper mids and treble is +/- 5dB using the 110dB mark as the baseline.

 

TBH, that's what I heard on my pair and verified with SineGen, but with additional bass (more likely due to harmonic distortion than actual frequency response).

post #443 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

How did that break like that?!

They should repair it for you, they have very good customer service but take a while to respond to emails sometimes.

 

It just came off my head broken in the joint, no dropping whatsover.

 

The photo didn't show, but the frame is not solid plastic. It is hollow on the other side.

 

I send them email already, both to the company and the seller (audiothinker in ebay) who claimed these are "under full warranty" when I made the purchase.

post #444 of 833
Neither the HP100 or the HP200 that I have feel remotely delicate in that area or any other so I am shocked that it broke like that for no reason. I wonder what SoundMAGIC will say about the eBay seller, if the seller is legit and if this means the unit is genuine. The prospect of the Chinese copy of a Chinese item is annoying and perhaps unlikely given how un-famous they are, let's see.
post #445 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post


I guess so since it's a pretty powerful SS amp, bonus point of it being warm to complement HP100's relative brightness.

That's always good to hear, still how would the HP do with let's say something like a Fiio X3 and a bright jds labs C5? 

post #446 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

That's always good to hear, still how would the HP do with let's say something like a Fiio X3 and a bright jds labs C5? 


Dunno about those two but from three portable amp I've tried (Matrix Mini portable, Rhapsodio, and Vorzuge Duo), none of them deliver satisfactory bass.

post #447 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post


Dunno about those two but from three portable amp I've tried (Matrix Mini portable, Rhapsodio, and Vorzuge Duo), none of them deliver satisfactory bass.

That's GREAT to hear to be honest, I have a feeling I like MUCH less bass than u do. To be honest the mad dogs had plenty of bass for me! It was just those damn mids... too thick and too poor a source for them

 

Compared to the Mad Dogs how much bass does the Sound Magic HP 100 have, more, less about the same? 

post #448 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

 

I think you should go back and look at the scale on the provided measurements. ;) About a 25dB dip at ~1.7KHz, and the lumpiness in the upper mids and treble is +/- 5dB using the 110dB mark as the baseline.

 

TBH, that's what I heard on my pair and verified with SineGen, but with additional bass (more likely due to harmonic distortion than actual frequency response).

 

Yeah it was just a quick Google images view. Looked pretty flat at the time but didn't pay much attention. I probably won't be buying a pair within the next few months, but I never do trust measurements.

Quite a few of my favorite headphones have poor measurements (like the DJ100).

 

LOL 25db dip at 1.7khz is quite huge. No thanks.

 

I saw something like that on my DJ100s measurements in the upper mids, but to me they're quite forward.

post #449 of 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

That's GREAT to hear to be honest, I have a feeling I like MUCH less bass than u do. To be honest the mad dogs had plenty of bass for me! It was just those damn mids... too thick and too poor a source for them

 

Compared to the Mad Dogs how much bass does the Sound Magic HP 100 have, more, less about the same? 


I was pretty sure I'm not much of a basshead (DJ100 was bassy enough for me) but yeah I'm not so sure anymore after HP100 tongue.gif. Can't comment on comparison with mad dog and it has been a bit too long since my last a/b with other headphones but IIRC I never hear cans with cleaner bass than HP100 at the price point and below, it's mostly sub bass though, mid and upper bass are relatively lean which I like.

post #450 of 833

I"ve had the HP100 for just over a month, it sounded good right out of my creative titanium HD sound card.I have read that a amp can make these sound better,so i picked up vintage pioneer SX828 receiver. It added unlimited volume,slightly better sound stage,more impact to the bass and more smiles to my face.bigsmile_face.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100 Review