Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread - Page 21

post #301 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukEM22 View Post

 

I have the 580s. If your interested I can do a little A/Bing and tell you what I think.
 

I guess that would be useful. I've never listened to the 580s but they are just 780s with more bass emphasis and recessed mids right?

post #302 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post


It's been a while since I've owned the 780s, but IIRC, the HP100s are dramatically more comfortable.  They're not as bright as the 780s, and they're less punchy, but to me that just means that they're very well balanced.  And these have a midrange, which is nice (although it's close to thin for some people).  Can't really comment on soundstage, but  I was never too keen on S-Logic.

Oh, the 580s are some of the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn. Legitimate pain on the top of my head within half an hour. The hp100s are pretty comfy, but not perfect. I think only thing that seperates them from perfection is the weight and a little too much clamp.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post


Maybe you like warmish sound?

Thats probably it. I also don't like laid back sounding headphones. Either way, Down the road I am looking at selling these along with my Magni for a pair of QC15s, or possibly just keeping them and buy the AE2i. I'll probably keep these HP100s so I don't lose all respect here biggrin.gif


Edited by lukEM22 - 6/24/13 at 7:06pm
post #303 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegazda View Post

I guess that would be useful. I've never listened to the 580s but they are just 780s with more bass emphasis and recessed mids right?

 

Quick comparison: If you want me to go more in depth, I can. But I am going to be away from home for until mid-July. Also before I start I would like to say I would never buy the 580s. They improve a lot with HM5 pads and a sennheiser headband, and in my opinion are unusable without them.

Also, my Hp100s have dt770 pads on.

  • They are both about as easy to drive.
  • 580s have a much more engaging sound to me. Probably due to them being not as laid back as the Hp100s (if at all)
  • Vocals sound more textured on hp100, just about everything sounds more textured and full actually.
  • Soundstage depth seems about the same, maybe slight advantage to HP100s
  • Micro details show more on the Hp100s. Some of the things I am hearing now I had to search for on the 580s
  • Vocals sound thicker on HP100, although still somewhat thin to my ears.
  • Bass impact seems similair (I didn't listen to a particularly bass heavy song- "Don't Lie" by Black Eyed Peas [320kpbs]) Hp100 trounces the 580 in sub bass, however.
  • HP100s are laid back sounding, and more natural sounding
  • Hp100 with velour pads is comfier than 580 with aforementioned upgrades. Mostly due to less clamping force.

 

Comparisons done with 320 kpbs songs playing from an iPhone 4>iphone dock>Schiit Magni>headphone

 

Also, I would suggest trying out a Bose AE2 before purchasing either of these. More natural sounding, more comfortable, and wider soundstage than either of these (Yes, even with the Hp100s amped, and AE2s coming straight out of an iPhone.

If you are looking to use these as porables, I would say look elsewhere. Both can easily be driven by an iPhone, but are very large. If I was being forced to use one portably, it would be the 580. (only with a 1m cable, mine has the 3m cable and it drives me insane)


Edited by lukEM22 - 6/24/13 at 7:01pm
post #304 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukEM22 View Post

 

Quick comparison: If you want me to go more in depth, I can. But I am going to be away from home for until mid-July. Also before I start I would like to say I would never buy the 580s. They improve a lot with HM5 pads and a sennheiser headband, and in my opinion are unusable without them.

Also, my Hp100s have dt770 pads on.

  • They are both about as easy to drive.
  • 580s have a much more engaging sound to me. Probably due to them being not as laid back as the Hp100s (if at all)
  • Vocals sound more textured on hp100, just about everything sounds more textured and full actually.
  • Soundstage depth seems about the same, maybe slight advantage to HP100s
  • Micro details show more on the Hp100s. Some of the things I am hearing now I had to search for on the 580s
  • Vocals sound thicker on HP100, although still somewhat thin to my ears.
  • Bass impact seems similair (I didn't listen to a particularly bass heavy song- "Don't Lie" by Black Eyed Peas [320kpbs]) Hp100 trounces the 580 in sub bass, however.
  • HP100s are laid back sounding, and more natural sounding
  • Hp100 with velour pads is comfier than 580 with aforementioned upgrades. Mostly due to less clamping force.

 

Comparisons done with 320 kpbs songs playing from an iPhone 4>iphone dock>Schiit Magni>headphone

 

Also, I would suggest trying out a Bose AE2 before purchasing either of these. More natural sounding, more comfortable, and wider soundstage than either of these (Yes, even with the Hp100s amped, and AE2s coming straight out of an iPhone.

If you are looking to use these as porables, I would say look elsewhere. Both can easily be driven by an iPhone, but are very large. If I was being forced to use one portably, it would be the 580. (only with a 1m cable, mine has the 3m cable and it drives me insane)

 

If the 580 sounds anything like the Pro 550 then this is spot on...

post #305 of 930

I demoed the Triports once, and I will concede that they were about the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.  I had a long test involving headphones today and the testing station had the QC15s or whatever they are.  Pretty cheap feeling for $300, but super comfortable, and their NC really does the trick.  Do you have experience with the Triports?  If so, do you think the AE2s are superior?  I guess the pseudo-cheap feel of them, plus the excessive smoothing over of things, was an issue for me.

post #306 of 930

I tried padding the HP100 pad with foam from some cut cheap headphone pad, even getting it slightly elevated on the back side of the ear reduce bass response quite noticeably and make mid more distant and overall brighter than the stock. Didn't like it, I imagine velour pad will make it worse.

post #307 of 930

I think the sonic differences between the stock pads and the velours are really quite minor.  I think it's worth giving them a shot.  And it's definitely worth it for me in terms of the increased comfort.

post #308 of 930

Well I have no problem with stock pad comfort so I'm gonna stick with it. smile.gif

post #309 of 930

In that case, carry on smartly:).

post #310 of 930

Someone really needs to try the Alpha pads with these... popcorn.gif

post #311 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Someone really needs to try the Alpha pads with these... popcorn.gif

I doubt they would fit, as they are a long oval shape while the HP100 cups are completely circular.

post #312 of 930

I would like to read more "VS." impressions. I'm always curious as to how the HP100s stack up against the competition, especially the more expensive ones. So, if anyone has other headphones that they could compare, please do. It makes for a very interesting read as I'm relatively new to the hobby and am thrilled with the sound coming out of these, and for just $200.

post #313 of 930

If you've ever heard K550, they're very similar to HP100, but HP100 has cleaner and more realistic midrange, maybe teeny bit less mid bass (with proper fit) but stronger lower bass. Yes it's a much better phone than K550 but since it's made by a relatively unknown chinese brand, people won't/refuse to think so.

post #314 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post

If you've ever heard K550, they're very similar to HP100, but HP100 has cleaner and more realistic midrange, maybe teeny bit less mid bass (with proper fit) but stronger lower bass. Yes it's a much better phone than K550 but since it's made by a relatively unknown chinese brand, people won't/refuse to think so.

How is the soundstage and imaging of the K550 in comparison to the HP100?

post #315 of 930

Very similar, HP100 sounds just as airy with better mid.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread