Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukEM22 View Post


I'm looking for something that is a little more neutral really. Right now I have me eye on the e07k and e17. I like the Mont Blanc but I figure I may want a good DAC down the road. I'm open to any suggestions though.

 

Mont Blanc + HRT Music Streamer II + HP100 = L3000.gif

post #272 of 930

Got tired of waiting for a better price so I pulled the trigger on Amazon. Can't wait to test these out. Do these improve much with a lot of burn-in time?

post #273 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingBuckets View Post

Got tired of waiting for a better price so I pulled the trigger on Amazon. Can't wait to test these out. Do these improve much with a lot of burn-in time?
I haven't noticed anything at all. They sound great from the start
post #274 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Mont Blanc + HRT Music Streamer II + HP100 = L3000.gif
How is it without the HRT? I could buy it later but don't want to drop $350 right now.
post #275 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post

So I did some more A/Bing between the stock pads and the Beyer velours.  I do detect some subtle differences.  Of course, the following is coming from my ears.  Compared to the velours, the stock pads make the sound a bit darker, a touch warmer, and slightly more liquid.  Compared to the stock pads, the Beyer velours make the sound a bit clearer/airier, a touch drier, and slightly more sibilant.  I think differences in bass impact are negligible.  I could do without the sibilance of the velour pads, but not without the comfort.  The stock pads are a bit too claustrophobic.  Despite the differences, I think I'll stick with the Beyer pads. Understand, though, that these truly are minor differences.  They do exist, but will probably not be noticed without some critical listening.  At this point, I think there's one more route I can take:  Beyer softskin pads:).  I might order a pair with my next paycheck.  Regardless, I still love these headphones, and I think they're about as close to my ideal closed headphone as I'll get for quite some time.

Which pads are you talking about, the Beyerdynamic EDT770VB (should I order the softskins you talk about instead, what are they called)?  How easy is it to remove the stock pads without tearing?

 

Do the velour pads stop contact to the fabric covering the driver, or at least greatly reduce it?  With the stock pads, my ears do not touch the pads at all, and they are basically pressed into the inner fabric.  The bottom half of the pads barely contact my head in the area behind my ears (not at all further down), and they are do not compress at all in these areas.

 

I like the headphones a lot, but my ears are extremely close to the drivers and that is my greatest complaint.


Edited by Sekka - 6/15/13 at 3:41am
post #276 of 930

Yes, those are the velour pads I'm talking about.  I think I'm going to hold off on buying the softskin pads for now.  I'm moving across the country in a couple weeks and am trying to save money.  I don't have them, so I can't necessarily recommend buying them.  The pads are quite easy to remove.  Just some light tugging around the lip.  I found that the new velours I got were a little more difficult to install on the HP100s than the silver velours from my DT 770s, but then when I was doing the A/Bing later, I found that the new black velours had stretched a bit and were easier to reinstall.

I don't think the velours stop contact.  I've found that even after two hours with the new velours, they still get a bit warm and slightly fatiguing.  Again, this is me, and comfort is a huge factor, so it's not that big of a deal, probably.  And I rarely listen to music for more than two hours, anyway.  The opening in the pads themselves is not the issue; it's the driver contact.  The velours increase the distance from the driver and the comfort, but the issue is not completely solved.

post #277 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post

Yes, those are the velour pads I'm talking about.  I think I'm going to hold off on buying the softskin pads for now.  I'm moving across the country in a couple weeks and am trying to save money.  I don't have them, so I can't necessarily recommend buying them.  The pads are quite easy to remove.  Just some light tugging around the lip.  I found that the new velours I got were a little more difficult to install on the HP100s than the silver velours from my DT 770s, but then when I was doing the A/Bing later, I found that the new black velours had stretched a bit and were easier to reinstall.
I don't think the velours stop contact.  I've found that even after two hours with the new velours, they still get a bit warm and slightly fatiguing.  Again, this is me, and comfort is a huge factor, so it's not that big of a deal, probably.  And I rarely listen to music for more than two hours, anyway.  The opening in the pads themselves is not the issue; it's the driver contact.  The velours increase the distance from the driver and the comfort, but the issue is not completely solved.

I'm just curious, but since its a comfort issue you're having even with velours, have you tried a length of rope under the pads to get a bit more depth? I realize it may affect the sound but may be worth a try. I do that on a couple of phones including the V-Moda M-100 and it surely helps.
post #278 of 930

I haven't tried rope...for some reason, that solution doesn't appeal to me.  I guess I'd prefer to have something I feel will be more long term.

post #279 of 930

Can anyone tell me how the HP100 fits on a small head. I got a 6-7/8 hat size and have trouble getting cans to go small enough without putting foam or something between my head and the headband.

post #280 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post

Yes, those are the velour pads I'm talking about.  I think I'm going to hold off on buying the softskin pads for now.  I'm moving across the country in a couple weeks and am trying to save money.  I don't have them, so I can't necessarily recommend buying them.  The pads are quite easy to remove.  Just some light tugging around the lip.  I found that the new velours I got were a little more difficult to install on the HP100s than the silver velours from my DT 770s, but then when I was doing the A/Bing later, I found that the new black velours had stretched a bit and were easier to reinstall.

I don't think the velours stop contact.  I've found that even after two hours with the new velours, they still get a bit warm and slightly fatiguing.  Again, this is me, and comfort is a huge factor, so it's not that big of a deal, probably.  And I rarely listen to music for more than two hours, anyway.  The opening in the pads themselves is not the issue; it's the driver contact.  The velours increase the distance from the driver and the comfort, but the issue is not completely solved.


Ok thanks, my upper ear begins to ache pretty quickly and I feel a bit claustrophobic at times because my ears are basically hugging the drivers.

 

I don't see how no one seems to notice how shallow the cups are, I have small ears and I was annoyed from the beginning.  I guess my ears are just sensitive.


Edited by Sekka - 6/16/13 at 10:23am
post #281 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post

I haven't tried rope...for some reason, that solution doesn't appeal to me.  I guess I'd prefer to have something I feel will be more long term.

I understand the trepidation, but this IS a long term solution that has no negative other than it may change some sound - may. I have a pic of it on the Q-40 thread to illustrate it and use it on them, my V-Moda M-100 and it made the M-100 go from unusable to comfortable for a couple hours. It's not some raggy rope jammed in there, it is a high quality synthetic climbing rope cut to fit end to end.

Anyway, just trying to help solve your issue.

And by the way, as I noticed from your signature you serve in the military, thanks for your service to this country. It is appreciated.
post #282 of 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


I understand the trepidation, but this IS a long term solution that has no negative other than it may change some sound - may. I have a pic of it on the Q-40 thread to illustrate it and use it on them, my V-Moda M-100 and it made the M-100 go from unusable to comfortable for a couple hours. It's not some raggy rope jammed in there, it is a high quality synthetic climbing rope cut to fit end to end.

Anyway, just trying to help solve your issue.

And by the way, as I noticed from your signature you serve in the military, thanks for your service to this country. It is appreciated.

Roger that.  I'll keep it in mind.

I'm glad to serve.  I'm getting to do what I wanted with my BA, and I'm getting paid to learn something valuable at one of the top schools in the world for its respective subject matter.  Not a bad deal.


Edited by Marximus - 6/16/13 at 12:32pm
post #283 of 930
About to pull the trigger on the Schiit Magni or Asgard (1) for these. Found a good deal on a used Asgard. Does anyone have comparisons for me?
Before I buy, are there any cables I need to plug my iPhone 4 into it? or will it come with the ones I need.
I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable on hand
Edited by lukEM22 - 6/16/13 at 10:40pm
post #284 of 930

Bump!

post #285 of 930

Can anyone tell me how the HP100 fits on a small head. I got a 6-7/8 hat size and have trouble getting cans to go small enough without putting foam or something between my head and the headband.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread