or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread - Page 92

post #1366 of 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry501501 View Post
 

Thanks for this link. I only just saw your reply to one of my posts above. I personally find the 100 a much better headphone than 150. It's treble isn't as hot and sounds just right. Bass wise its hard to call from memory now, but the 100's bass is deep but tighter. I'm very interested in the 200

 

Considering SoundMAGIC products are THAT GOOD to me, I'm considering buying extra pairs of each, just to have them lying around in case of a discontinuation/dying. HP100 is supposedly discontinuing.

 

So my match would be:

 

HP100 (will buy next month)

HP150 (already have it)

HP200 x2 (one pair arriving)

 

E80C - these will be selling for long I'm sure of it, no need for a backup just yet

 

I really do like the way you described HP100... HP150 just seems to bassy for me at times.


Edited by GloriousLettuce - 7/15/16 at 10:08am
post #1367 of 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousLettuce View Post
 

 

Considering SoundMAGIC products are THAT GOOD to me, I'm considering buying extra pairs of each, just to have them lying around in case of a discontinuation/dying. HP100 is supposedly discontinuing.

 

So my match would be:

 

HP100 (will buy next month)

HP150 (already have it)

HP200 x2 (one pair arriving)

 

E80C - these will be selling for long I'm sure of it, no need for a backup just yet

 

I really do like the way you described HP100... HP150 just seems to bassy for me at times.

Yeah, I actually got a set of hp100s from HiFiHeadphones as ex display for £50!!! Nothing wrong with them, came with all accessories too. Best deal I've had yet. It actually made me more willing to go second hand or ex-display for a lot of other sets. I used to be a snob lol.

 

I returned the Hp150s mainly cos of the piercing treble. I'm surprised when people say the 100 and 150 sound the same by just reading the specs... without even trying them both to compare.

 

My first IEMs were SMe10s... how do the new e80c compare?

post #1368 of 1376

The only thing stopping me from buying the HP200s is my previous experience with open back design. I hated Grado sr80es and I found the HD650s to be overrated. My HP100s blow them both out of the water.

 

Btw GLettuce, if you like the Soundmagic 100/150s you might like Dunu DN1000 IEMs. They are the closest I've managed to get to the sound signature of the SM headphones.

post #1369 of 1376
Wow, that's nothin... costing about 180 euros.

SoundMAGIC E80 (regardless of the s, c types all sounding the same) is actually a subtle upgrade in my opinion but I only compared them when I got the iPod, while now I use X5 + E12.

I don't find the treble piercing on HP150. Maybe not worth it getting HP100 then?

HP200 and Sennheiser HD380 arriving this friday, will post impressions against HD600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry501501 View Post

Yeah, I actually got a set of hp100s from HiFiHeadphones as ex display for £50!!! Nothing wrong with them, came with all accessories too. Best deal I've had yet. It actually made me more willing to go second hand or ex-display for a lot of other sets. I used to be a snob lol.

I returned the Hp150s mainly cos of the piercing treble. I'm surprised when people say the 100 and 150 sound the same by just reading the specs... without even trying them both to compare.

My first IEMs were SMe10s... how do the new e80c compare?
post #1370 of 1376

Now for the first time, I can A/B between the HP100 & HP150.

 

HP150:

Better vocals

More natural sounding

Mids more natural and forward

Bass has more control and detail.

Less sibilant and harsh

 

HP100:

Hyped up treble

bigger soundstage (I was suprised by this)

 

Now the HP150 i just received new in box (My old pair was send in for repair, but got a new one instead).

The only difference I can be absolutely sure about is that the HP150 just sounds a tad bit more controlled, natural and less sibilant. The soundstage on my HP100 is somehow bigger than the HP150. This might be due to burn-in but I doubt it. In fact the HP100 has such a big soundstage it is slightly artificial sounding on some tracks. It is even bigger then the HD598 I use quite often.


Edited by The Third - 7/21/16 at 12:09pm
post #1371 of 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third View Post

Now for the first time, I can A/B between the HP100 & HP150.

HP150:
Better vocals
More natural sounding
Mids more natural and forward
Bass has more control and detail.
Less sibilant and harsh

HP100:
Hyped up treble
bigger soundstage (I was suprised by this)

Now the HP150 i just received new in box (My old pair was send in for repair, but got a new one instead).
The only difference I can be absolutely sure about is that the HP150 just sounds a tad bit more controlled, natural and less sibilant. The soundstage on my HP100 is somehow bigger than the HP150. This might be due to burn-in but I doubt it. In fact the HP100 has such a big soundstage it is slightly artificial sounding on some tracks. It is even bigger then the HD598 I use quite often.

That's interesting... I have gotten HP200 and it doesn't sound much wider than HP150, as if the perks of them being open is just to make them sound more natural, bit that's killled because these are BASSHEAD level, there's just too much bass for me.

It did take time for mids to open up on H150, so that might be due to burn in. The same might apply to your HP100?
post #1372 of 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousLettuce View Post


That's interesting... I have gotten HP200 and it doesn't sound much wider than HP150, as if the perks of them being open is just to make them sound more natural, bit that's killled because these are BASSHEAD level, there's just too much bass for me.

It did take time for mids to open up on H150, so that might be due to burn in. The same might apply to your HP100?

The HP100 just sound a tad bit more hyped up, which results in a sometimes harsh treble and is more prone to sibilance. The HP150 doesn't have this sibilance, and is better for extended listening. At the moment I prefer the HP100 for exercising or for feeling energetic. I did exercise quite a bit with the HP100, so the pads are now puffier (usual pleather texture loss over time). I'll try switching the pads around with both cans to see if the difference in sound is indeed pad based. Maybe it is the burn-in as well yes, the HP150's are now around the 20 hour mark whilest the HP100's have over 200hrs.


Edited by The Third - 7/25/16 at 11:10am
post #1373 of 1376

Ok, I can definitely confirm that the HP100's are more V shaped than the HP150's. The HP100's do sound more exciting at times, where as the HP150's have better mids. Worth owning both in my opinion.

post #1374 of 1376

I've been searching for an IEM that gets close to the HP100 sound for AGES. I wanted them to have the HP100s fantastic bass with the same resolution, control and depth and with similar mids and highs that are detailed and have no bass bleed. I tried RHA M750, Aurisonic Rockets, HiSound Wooduo 2s... some got close but ultimately none of them had that near perfect sound signature I was after.

 

Then along came the Yamaha EPH 100s. BINGO! It is rather uncanny how a set of IEMS can come close to the headphone sound of my HP 100s. They are so similar. The sub bass is ever present, but similarly controlled and behaved. It is punchy and quick and just so damn fun. Mids and highs have great clarity and they are never over shadowed by the bass. Both have similar soundstage, not too wide but very deep. The HP 100 does have more detailed mids and highs, micro details are great on them I think but you'd expect that of an over ear, but it doesn't mean the EPH100s don't come close. The placement of instruments is great and vocals are slightly more up front.

 

If anything, the bass on the EPH 100s goes deeper, and sometimes when i compare them I can hear the HP100s having more emphasis on mid bass than sub. This actually surprised me and it was a nice change hearing more sub bass emphasis on the Yamahas. They go REALLY low and never sound bloated.

 

So if you enjoy the sound of the Soundmagic HP100s, but want a similar sound to walk around with... go ahead and get them. they are only £70

 

EDIT : Spelling


Edited by harry501501 - 8/13/16 at 12:04pm
post #1375 of 1376

Yeah, I agree with you there. I kept the HP100s though and sold the HP150s. The 100s are more fun, possibly down to the more V shaped sound. I'd say where they really differ is the highs. i found the highs on the 150s a little too aggressive and sibilance a major problem. I'd say mids are very similar on both and I'd probably disagree the 150s are better, well to my ears that is.

 

I'm going to get the HP200s in a week's time when I get paid. Really looking forward to hearing them. My last open ear set was the Grado sr80es which made my ears bleed... a horrible sound IMO.

post #1376 of 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry501501 View Post

I've been searching for an IEM that gets close to the HP100 sound for AGES. I wanted them to have the HP100s fantastic bass with the same resolution, control and depth and with similar mids and highs that are detailed and have no bass bleed. I tried RHA M750, Aurisonic Rockets, HiSound Wooduo 2s... some got close but ultimately none of them had that near perfect sound signature I was after.

Then along came the Yamaha EPH 100s. BINGO! It is rather uncanny how a set of IEMS can come close to the headphone sound of my HP 100s. They are so similar. The sub bass is ever present, but similarly controlled and behaved. It is punchy and quick and just so damn fun. Mids and highs have great clarity and they are never over shadowed by the bass. Both have similar soundstage, not too wide but very deep. The HP 100 does have more detailed mids and highs, micro details are great on them I think but you'd expect that of an over ear, but it doesn't mean the EPH100s don't come close. The placement of instruments is great and vocals are slightly more up front.

If anything, the bass on the EPH 100s goes deeper, and sometimes when i compare them I can hear the HP100s having more emphasis on mid bass than sub. This actually surprised me and it was a nice change hearing more sub bass emphasis on the Yamahas. They go REALLY low and never sound bloated.

So if you enjoy the sound of the Soundmagic HP100s, but want a similar sound to walk around with... go ahead and get them. they are only £70

EDIT : Spelling

I find SoundMAGIC E80 to be very similar.

I've been trying to get myself something like an opened back version of HP150 but disappointed with everything until now, inckuding the HP200 which turned out hell too bassy and the drivers were all messed up.

Any ideas on the open back alternative to HP150?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread