I need sound quality, comfort, flattest equalizer and best sound stage, and easy to drive, but improve-able by an amp. I will be using it for home and portable listening and gaming, but portability is no object.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- productBRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 6/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/27/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 6/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for new headphones. Last post on 10/16/12 at 6:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature???? Last post on 12/18/13 at 11:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones. I'm new, please don't hurt me. Last post on 9/14/12 at 1:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help to choose headphones for ouside purpose. Last post on 9/13/12 at 6:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for balance with slight bass. Last post on 8/5/12 at 12:07am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in MEdia Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAS -> Project Ember...
Here are my impressions of the Fiio X1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEj0wLE-ojU
Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003
Poll Results: Best SQ, flattest eq, largest Soundstage, and most comfortable
12 Total Votespost #1 of 46/27/12 at 12:39pmThread Starter
25% (3)Shure SRH840
50% (6)Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
25% (3)Fischer Audio FA-003
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 46/27/12 at 2:04pmThread Starterpost #3 of 46/27/12 at 2:27pm
I own the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and Brainwarz HM5 (FA-003)
The DT770 are bassy headphones, my old ears can not take then for more then 20 minutes (but it's still a nice full bass).
My HM5 are not as bassy as the DT770, which means I can wear them for much longer periods of time.
I would push the HM5 over the DT770s
Kind wished I had gotten the FA-003, so I would have the Velour ear pads,
but there is nothing really wrong with the HM5 pads.post #4 of 46/27/12 at 3:00pm
Owned both the SRH840 and the HM5 (FA-003 equivalent). Haven't had the pleasure of hearing the DT770 80 ohm - but briefly heard the DT770 250 ohm. The 80's are supposed to be the bassier version of the DT770's based on what I've heard. Purple can give you a confirm on that.
Anyway - my thoughts based on your criteria:
Best SQ - very subjective. Depends what you like. I personally preferred the SRH840 - it's the one closed phone I've actually been thinking about repurchasing. It does have a mid-bass boost, but that adds to the overall tonality for me. What I liked best is the mid-range on the Shures. Has an overall feeling of balance - but not what I'd call 'flat'. They were very 'alive' and 'dynamic'. FA-003/HM5 very balanced, at times 'polite'. DT770 (I'm talking about the 250 more than 80) fun cans - more of a U shaped EQ.
Flattest EQ - FA-003 > SRH840 > DT770
Largest S-stage - really difficult one - all closed phones, so none really have a large stage. If anything, the FA-003 marginally over the SRH840
Most comfort - DT770 >= FA-003 > SRH840 (but I personally found all 3 quite comfortable for long use).
All 3 cans have their strengths - depends on your personal preference as far as music genre, and preferred tone go. I'm a mid-range junkie - so the SRH840 would be my personal preference.
- Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › IEM FR vs Full size 1 minute ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Keyboard-Fi 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › Which SR-009 amp sounds the most realistic to you? 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › Shure SE215 by SawItComing
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)