I need sound quality, comfort, flattest equalizer and best sound stage, and easy to drive, but improve-able by an amp. I will be using it for home and portable listening and gaming, but portability is no object.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- productBRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 6/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/27/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 6/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for new headphones. Last post on 10/16/12 at 6:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature???? Last post on 12/18/13 at 11:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones. I'm new, please don't hurt me. Last post on 9/14/12 at 1:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help to choose headphones for ouside purpose. Last post on 9/13/12 at 6:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for balance with slight bass. Last post on 8/5/12 at 12:07am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003
Poll Results: Best SQ, flattest eq, largest Soundstage, and most comfortable
12 Total Votespost #1 of 46/27/12 at 12:39pmThread Starter
25% (3)Shure SRH840
50% (6)Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
25% (3)Fischer Audio FA-003
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 46/27/12 at 2:04pmThread Starterpost #3 of 46/27/12 at 2:27pm
I own the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and Brainwarz HM5 (FA-003)
The DT770 are bassy headphones, my old ears can not take then for more then 20 minutes (but it's still a nice full bass).
My HM5 are not as bassy as the DT770, which means I can wear them for much longer periods of time.
I would push the HM5 over the DT770s
Kind wished I had gotten the FA-003, so I would have the Velour ear pads,
but there is nothing really wrong with the HM5 pads.post #4 of 46/27/12 at 3:00pm
Owned both the SRH840 and the HM5 (FA-003 equivalent). Haven't had the pleasure of hearing the DT770 80 ohm - but briefly heard the DT770 250 ohm. The 80's are supposed to be the bassier version of the DT770's based on what I've heard. Purple can give you a confirm on that.
Anyway - my thoughts based on your criteria:
Best SQ - very subjective. Depends what you like. I personally preferred the SRH840 - it's the one closed phone I've actually been thinking about repurchasing. It does have a mid-bass boost, but that adds to the overall tonality for me. What I liked best is the mid-range on the Shures. Has an overall feeling of balance - but not what I'd call 'flat'. They were very 'alive' and 'dynamic'. FA-003/HM5 very balanced, at times 'polite'. DT770 (I'm talking about the 250 more than 80) fun cans - more of a U shaped EQ.
Flattest EQ - FA-003 > SRH840 > DT770
Largest S-stage - really difficult one - all closed phones, so none really have a large stage. If anything, the FA-003 marginally over the SRH840
Most comfort - DT770 >= FA-003 > SRH840 (but I personally found all 3 quite comfortable for long use).
All 3 cans have their strengths - depends on your personal preference as far as music genre, and preferred tone go. I'm a mid-range junkie - so the SRH840 would be my personal preference.
- Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Looking for some good closed back headphones ~$130 (more details... 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.085 . . . . 7 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 7 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 10 minutes ago
- › FS: OPPO HA-1 10 minutes ago
- › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP!... 11 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 11 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)