I need sound quality, comfort, flattest equalizer and best sound stage, and easy to drive, but improve-able by an amp. I will be using it for home and portable listening and gaming, but portability is no object.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- productBRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 6/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/27/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/27/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 6/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for new headphones. Last post on 10/16/12 at 6:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature???? Last post on 12/18/13 at 11:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones. I'm new, please don't hurt me. Last post on 9/14/12 at 1:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help to choose headphones for ouside purpose. Last post on 9/13/12 at 6:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for balance with slight bass. Last post on 8/5/12 at 12:07am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003
Poll Results: Best SQ, flattest eq, largest Soundstage, and most comfortable
12 Total Votespost #1 of 46/27/12 at 12:39pmThread Starter
25% (3)Shure SRH840
50% (6)Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
25% (3)Fischer Audio FA-003
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 46/27/12 at 2:04pmThread Starterpost #3 of 46/27/12 at 2:27pm
I own the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and Brainwarz HM5 (FA-003)
The DT770 are bassy headphones, my old ears can not take then for more then 20 minutes (but it's still a nice full bass).
My HM5 are not as bassy as the DT770, which means I can wear them for much longer periods of time.
I would push the HM5 over the DT770s
Kind wished I had gotten the FA-003, so I would have the Velour ear pads,
but there is nothing really wrong with the HM5 pads.post #4 of 46/27/12 at 3:00pm
Owned both the SRH840 and the HM5 (FA-003 equivalent). Haven't had the pleasure of hearing the DT770 80 ohm - but briefly heard the DT770 250 ohm. The 80's are supposed to be the bassier version of the DT770's based on what I've heard. Purple can give you a confirm on that.
Anyway - my thoughts based on your criteria:
Best SQ - very subjective. Depends what you like. I personally preferred the SRH840 - it's the one closed phone I've actually been thinking about repurchasing. It does have a mid-bass boost, but that adds to the overall tonality for me. What I liked best is the mid-range on the Shures. Has an overall feeling of balance - but not what I'd call 'flat'. They were very 'alive' and 'dynamic'. FA-003/HM5 very balanced, at times 'polite'. DT770 (I'm talking about the 250 more than 80) fun cans - more of a U shaped EQ.
Flattest EQ - FA-003 > SRH840 > DT770
Largest S-stage - really difficult one - all closed phones, so none really have a large stage. If anything, the FA-003 marginally over the SRH840
Most comfort - DT770 >= FA-003 > SRH840 (but I personally found all 3 quite comfortable for long use).
All 3 cans have their strengths - depends on your personal preference as far as music genre, and preferred tone go. I'm a mid-range junkie - so the SRH840 would be my personal preference.
- Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 3 minutes ago
- › Weird Sennheiser Urbanite Ad 4 minutes ago
- › Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 8 minutes ago
- › suitable car amp to work with x3 + 2 8's 8 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 10 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 10 minutes ago
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)