Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Anyone here has the Koss Pro DJ-200?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone here has the Koss Pro DJ-200? - Page 2

post #16 of 160

Hi,

 

They had all three out on Display in their tiny little shop. I used my Zune to compare them as they were using some kinda switchbox for audio. From my Zune they all sounded the same. I like the DJ200 as it's more flexible but then again it's a lot more expensive and to me is not worth the difference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post


So you personally compared the three?
post #17 of 160
Thread Starter 

I just ordered the TB version.  Thank you guys for the advice. :)  Is the TB CD download a compressed version or full uncompressed CD quality?

Reply
post #18 of 160

I picked up the TB on a whim, it was 1/2 price at Staples.

 

Two problems...big upper midrange suckout that makes for a hollow, honky, dry sound. And it has a huge coiled cable that weighs like three time as much as the actual headphone, and with the slightest movement, it keeps trying to pull the right earcup away from my ear. And the headband assembly is a piece of crap that keep shifting and wobbling.

 

TB is OK but if you have any other decent headphones, you don't need these.

post #19 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

I picked up the TB on a whim, it was 1/2 price at Staples.

 

Two problems...big upper midrange suckout that makes for a hollow, honky, dry sound. And it has a huge coiled cable that weighs like three time as much as the actual headphone, and with the slightest movement, it keeps trying to pull the right earcup away from my ear. And the headband assembly is a piece of crap that keep shifting and wobbling.

 

TB is OK but if you have any other decent headphones, you don't need these.

 

That's weird, because I think it has forward (sounding) upper mids (and so did ljokerl). Graphs seem to not show this at all, so this is a bit bizarre. Maybe there are really small differences between the DJ100 and TB after all. The headroom graphs are a bit different.

 

You probably will return it, but if you haven't yet, you should give it a few days of use to see if any of your impressions change. If it's not very clear sounding, I'd definitely give it a few days. Mine always sounds crystal clear. Especially with my E5+Ipod Touch. Airhead+Sansa Clip I like too.

 

I've used this headphone for years and never anything in their signature (to me) was "honky". When it is, it's usually when it's not amped. Lots of people have called it's sound Dry, so maybe that's what I like normal_smile%20.gif Some people may dislike it's forward mids. I wonder if any seal issues majorly change it's signature. This may be why some claim it lacks bass.

 

It would be interesting if these measure different with M50 pads.

 

Never had any issues with it's coiled cable and I guess i'm lucky. Target has $6 straight cables from GE/RCA that should work. I bought the GE "Signature" one that's silver. Was only $9. Seems built a bit better.


Edited by tdockweiler - 7/4/12 at 11:07am
post #20 of 160
Thread Starter 
Can you post a pic with that GE cable? Love to see how it looks with the silver cable.
Reply
post #21 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

I just ordered the TB version.  Thank you guys for the advice. :)  Is the TB CD download a compressed version or full uncompressed CD quality?

 

I bought the TB months and months ago and haven't even downloaded it yet. I'll try to do this today and will let you know.

 

Watch it be like 64kbps mp3 or something...

post #22 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

Can you post a pic with that GE cable? Love to see how it looks with the silver cable.


Wish I could, but my camera is dead at the moment.

 

I also like the Cardas 2M cable (called the HPI). It's normally $50, but I got it as an open box for $35. The build quality alone makes it worth a little extra IMO.

 

Favorite cable for the TB though is ALO SXC (silver plated copper). I converted the one Zombie_X made me for my Q701 for use on my TB biggrin.gif

Most people would have to be nuts to use ALO SXC on such a cheap headphone, but I like it that much.

 

Also, the TB still has the internal wiring, but still offers a little benefit from a decent cable. Less so when just used as a portable though.

post #23 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Watch it be like 64kbps mp3 or something...

LOL!

I would guess it's probably 256 or 320 like most digital downloads these days. redface.gif
post #24 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

That's weird, because I think it has forward (sounding) upper mids (and so did ljokerl). Graphs seem to not show this at all, so this is a bit bizarre. Maybe there are really small differences between the DJ100 and TB after all. The headroom graphs are a bit different.

 

OK, the "mid" mids are definitely prominent, but the upper mids (6-8kHz) are sucked out, leaving the mids exposed. Of course, this is in absolute terms, after listening to my good headphones. 

 

Has anyone compared these to the Philips Citiscape Downtown?

post #25 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

OK, the "mid" mids are definitely prominent, but the upper mids (6-8kHz) are sucked out, leaving the mids exposed. Of course, this is in absolute terms, after listening to my good headphones. 

 

Has anyone compared these to the Philips Citiscape Downtown?

 

I don't think anyone has had both yet. There's someone who made a DJ100 review on Youtube (who's a member here too) that also reviewed the $150 Uptown model. That think looks nice, but might be too warm for me. I really dislike most headphones that are very warm.

 

Yeah I guess the graphs of the DJ100 have a little dip in the upper mids. I don't really notice it much. I just know that my ears have no complaints about it's sound, but I use the M50 pads. I just find the DJ100 too hard to over-analyze. It's one of my "fun" headphones, but one that's still balanced enough for me.

 

For some reason they sound even better with the M50 and it sounds even more clear. The pads of the DJ100 seem to change the sound more than most headphones. You can install SRH-840 pads and the treble is made to be unbearably harsh and fatiguing.

 

I wish there was more headphones under $100 that had forward mids. Nothing too forward. I like the mids of the 225is, but that's $200.

post #26 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

TB is OK but if you have any other decent headphones, you don't need these.

 

biggrin.gif  LOL, need is never a deciding factor for HiFiGuy in picking up cans.  If they exist, and they don't suck, he'll need 'em sooner or later.  If for no other reason than to make sure we all get our unboxing fixes met, lest we develop withdrawal symptoms.

post #27 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

biggrin.gif   LOL, need is never a deciding factor for HiFiGuy in picking up cans.

That should be a Head-Fi maxim...
post #28 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

That should be a Head-Fi maxim...

 

I'll grant you that.  But whereas most of us could only aspire to that, HiFiGuy actually does it.  He has this dude or shaman or universal spiritual force called "my headphone guy" that sends him stuff at will, its sheer awesomeness on a scale I have yet to fully fathom.

 

Everytime I see a thread with the name of a pair of cans and the OP is HiFiGuy, I know exactly how it's gonna go:

  • 1st post:  Anyone heard these?
  • 3rd/4th post:  I'm thinking about getting them...
  • 6th post:  I got 'em, be here next week.

 

At this point, people catch their breath and ponder the whirlwind that just happened...

  • 7th post:  They're here, unboxing vid is up, impressions coming soon

 

Then there's a new thread with the unboxing vid

  • 1st post:  Embedded unboxing vid
  • 1st post edit:  Impressions added...
  • 4th/5th post:  Freeform discussion of impressions commences.

 

If you're ever short on time, just read the title and place your order for those cans right away.  Gotta act fast because like HiFiGuy, his "headphone guy" doesn't mess around or waste any time.  Get your impressions together a few days later while he preps the unboxing vid.  Then dive into the discussion of how good/bad the cans are.  If you take time to blink, you're gonna be late to this party.

 

All joking aside, we're all better off for it.  smile.gif  Thanks Mike!

post #29 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

biggrin.gif  LOL, need is never a deciding factor for HiFiGuy in picking up cans.  If they exist, and they don't suck, he'll need 'em sooner or later.  

 

Ahh, the Charlie Sheen of headphones...

post #30 of 160
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Ahh, the Charlie Sheen of headphones...

WINNING!!!! biggrin.gif
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Anyone here has the Koss Pro DJ-200?