or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Full Grado Labs History!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Full Grado Labs History! - Page 5

post #61 of 89

If you could upgrade from the SR80i and money was not an issue and Rock was the music of choice what would be the 3 top Grado headphones to purchase.  I need to know.

post #62 of 89

Zanth's interview with John Grado is a good read.

post #63 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post

If you could upgrade from the SR80i and money was not an issue and Rock was the music of choice what would be the 3 top Grado headphones to purchase.  I need to know.

 

Suggestion #1: Money not an issue? Grado HP 1000 :D

 

Suggestion #2: Turbulent X drivers housed in MartinCustomAudio wooden inner chambers, inside your SR80i cups. I would also suggest that you pick either Limba/Korina, Tiger Maple or Honduran Mahogany as type of wood, because these have been extensively compared by thelostMIDrange which he deemed better sounding than a bunch of other woods (http://www.head-fi.org/t/592921/cup-tuning-basics decide for youself whether you trust this guy or not, I personally do). Also his limba wooden cups Magnum v4 built is probably the best measuring Grado on innerfidelity.com. Finally make sure the inner wooden chambers are a perfect fit to the drivers (without the need to add any filling between the driver and the cups' hole); Martin has experience working with these drivers, he should be able to pull that out.

 

Suggestion #3: Alessandro MS2i, Alessandros are a tad more neutral than Grados but still excellent for rock. My favorite current-production “Grado” headphone.

post #64 of 89
Thread Starter 
Continuing my mini-series of paper/documentation/information hunting on Joseph Grado products; most of it comes from eBay. Usually it's something I purchase and scan...
 
 
...but sometimes I glean stuff directly from an eBay listing's description, like this really good piece I just found and am ultra excited about:
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post
 

There you go!

 

Stereophile, May 1991:

– GRADO HP 1 PROFESSIONAL RECORDING MONITOR HEADPHONES (Gary A. Galo) [the review begins at the very bottom of the first page]

Discussed : the HP 1 and HPA-1, their design, their sound, with details provided of a discussion the reviewer had with Joe. The difficulty of attaining adequate amplification for headphones in a time the only headamps that existed were the DIY ones. Extensive comparison with Stax Lambda Pro and quite a bit of talk about the Stax ED-1 diffuse field equalizer (a Stax module that compensate frequency response of the headphone for the natural amplification of the concha/pinna/ear canal to flatten perceived frequency response). An impedance and phase curve of the HP 1000 is provided

 

– AKG, Grado, Stax (& Sennheiser) headphones (John Atkinson) [the review and measurements begin at the second half of the second page]
Objective comparative review provided with measured frequency response, cumulative spectral decay, impulse response plots (along with three other miscellaneous graphs) of the Sennheiser HD420SL, AKG K-1000, Grado HP 1 and Stax Lambda Pro.
 
– Editor's note: Joe Grado's commentary [the section of interest begins at the bottom of the first column of text]
Joe Grado's comment about the review for his headphone and headphone amplifier!
 
 
I have put a link to this post in the description of my "Grado papers and official documentation" photo album

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post
 

Oh and I received my Stereophile, June 1994, Grado SR60 review. It's by Corey Greenberg and it's not what I expected, hum, no Joseph Grado interview in it :/.

 

I'm not going to upload the scanned paper as I realized it's already fully on Stereophile's website there: http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/532


Edited by devouringone3 - 9/21/13 at 1:01pm
post #65 of 89
Joe Grado passed away today. After I saw the news by Grado Labs themselves I thought it was time to read some Grado history. Found this, sorry to revive a 3yo thread, but many thanks to the author
post #66 of 89
R.I.P. JOSEPH FREDERICK GRADO
post #67 of 89

@devouringone3  Resurrecting this thread....recently received a pair of vintage SR80 (thank you @narrow bights). They have the old Grado headband (like the ones for the HP series...round bar, not flat spring-steel under the leather (?) headband), metal mesh and a 1/4 inch plug. Goes without saying, he drivers are pink.

 

Pictures can be found here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/789308/ic-unique-vintage-grado-sr-80-headphones-w-pink-drivers

 

I emailed Grado and they stated these were "probably" made in 1993.

post #68 of 89
Thread Starter 

The HP 1000 era headband and gimbals make it unique... but not strictly superior comfort-wise, requiring a much more precise adjustment to attain the best sound/comfort pressure ratio. Metal grid over punched plastic is slightly superior airflow-wise.

 

It is either a repaired, late SR100 with a partial SR80 assembly (drivers+chambers, cable and buttons) or (much less likely so) a Franken-SR80 made from leftover parts and box. The condition is praise-worthy given it's at least 20 years old.

 

 

The pink cheese clothe is the sign of the very first batches of John-type, Joseph-tuned drivers, which are considered to have the most “balanced” Grado sound signature.

 

I own one and I agree, no stridency nor bass hump and much more neutral than the whole decade of aggressive almost-harsh Grados that followed... though I must specify and dissent with the seller's opinion on the fact that its resolution doesn't hold a remote candle to that of the HP 1000 driver, the contemporary “i”, modern “e” and Magnums. I personally don't use my pair, only collect.


Edited by devouringone3 - 1/5/16 at 7:48pm
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post
 

The HP 1000 era headband and gimbals make it unique... but not strictly superior comfort-wise, requiring a much more precise adjustment to attain the best sound/comfort pressure ratio. Metal grid over punched plastic is slightly superior airflow-wise.

 

It is either a repaired, late SR100 with a partial SR80 assembly (drivers+chambers, cable and buttons) or (much less likely so) a Franken-SR80 made from leftover parts and box. The condition is praise-worthy given it's at least 20 years old.

 

 

The pink cheese clothe is the sign of the very first batches of John-type, Joseph-tuned drivers, which are considered to have the most “balanced” Grado sound signature.

 

I own one and I agree, no stridency nor bass hump and much more neutral than the whole decade of aggressive almost-harsh Grados that followed... though I must specify and dissent with the seller's opinion on the fact that its resolution doesn't hold a remote candle to that of the HP 1000 driver, the contemporary “i”, modern “e” and Magnums. I personally don't use my pair, only collect.

 

Sonically they are more linear than my pair of later SR80 pinks (vinyl headband, flat spring steel headband, 1/8th inch plug, plastic grill). Oddly enough, the later pair's drivers are more distinctly pink than these as well. Not sure if that indicates driver age or is completely irrelevant. I suspect the latter.

 

I prefer these to the later pair. I agree with @devouringone3. Sound is clean and goes deep on either side. To my ears, none of the mid-bass hump, and they retrieve better detail. They are also less fatiguing.

 

Sadly I have not been able to hear a pair of HP series Grados. Their cost and rarity are prohibitive to say the least. If I have lucked out and managed to find myself in possession of a pair of SR100 parts badged as a pair of SR80 (Grado's habit of letting parts from future or past versions of headphones bleed into each other is widely noted), I'd be a happy camper. I am not sure this is the case though. @devouringone3 have you been able to compare your pair to a pair of SR100/SR200, etc...?

 

A side note, I am listening to these using some TTVJ flats, which changes signature as well.

post #70 of 89
Thread Starter 

Flat pads are my favorite pads from Grado, but I personally use sunflower modded HD414's everywhere now.

 

 

Absolutely as I own all those you named (save for SR300).

 

I will always pick the HP 1000 driver over one associated with John Grado, for all the reasons you named: neutrality, low listening-fatigue / clean decay, details resolution. .. oh and the untouchable and hard to describe life-like, analog sounding magic (or “velocity”). And I will reiterate that, for me, resolution clearly is HP 1000 > SR325i > Pink RS1

 

I have spent the last 2 years with only my SR325-0. The HP 1000 driven Prestige models do not sound inferior or anything. I call them 98% HP 1000 at 25-50% the price.

post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post
 

Flat pads are my favorite pads from Grado, but I personally use sunflower modded HD414's everywhere now.

 

 

Absolutely as I own all those you named (save for SR300).

 

I will always pick the HP 1000 driver over one associated with John Grado, for all the reasons you named: neutrality, low listening-fatigue / clean decay, details resolution. .. oh and the untouchable and hard to describe life-like, analog sounding magic (or “velocity”). And I will reiterate that, for me, resolution clearly is HP 1000 > SR325i > Pink RS1

 

I have spent the last 2 years with only my SR325-0. The HP 1000 driven Prestige models do not sound inferior or anything. I call them 98% HP 1000 at 25-50% the price.


I had the heart-breaking experience of purchasing a pair of black SR325 with pink drivers, only to have the right side fail on me very quickly. The seller very kindly re-imbursed me my payment, minus his shipping fees. I tried to resurrect them, to no avail. They have gone off to Grado for repairs. I very much doubt they will come back with their pink drivers now functioning, but who knows, maybe I'll luck out.

 

The brief time I spent with them was good. They sounded bassier than the super-vintage SR80 though...not as clean and clear.

post #72 of 89

Did anyone knew this???

Check the phones carefully...!!!

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

Did anyone knew this???
Check the phones carefully...!!!

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2
nope, NEVER heard of sr60 with black stars before. Where's the picture from?
I don't know man, you think by now something like this would've been seen around these parts
post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post
 

Did anyone knew this???

Check the phones carefully...!!!

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

 

That's some crazy $h1t...

post #75 of 89
Thread Starter 

A good SR60 mod: these are fully white HP 1000 drivers, the SR 1000's all have a black complexion.

 

I wonder where he got fitting chambers other than by scavenging them from a SR 1000.

 

 

For its utmost lightness, I would totally live with only this guy: fortunately for me, comfort is all that's left to tweak.

 

In my experience different Grado cups (and even custom wooden ones) have little to no effect on the sound of the HP 1000 driver.


Edited by devouringone3 - 1/10/16 at 7:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Full Grado Labs History!