Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › questions before considering beyerdynamic T1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

questions before considering beyerdynamic T1

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hello

 

 

I find, now that I have the buget, that it’s time to take my music experience to another level. I like to enjoy music as well as to “analyze” it. So I want a headphone that is good at both, but that is also very good with all types of music, scales well and is comfortable to wear. For this I had in mind the Beyerdynamic T1.

 

After some research on the internet and starting a thread about the HD800 vs T1 I learned a few important things about headphones and hi-fi in general.

 

Instead of going for a world-class headphone I started in mid-fi world and went with the akg k702. Although this is a more than satisfactory headphone I feel that for some music I’m missing the extra punch in the bass, and I think that there is still some detail to be found, wich could be achieved by getting a better headphone + dac/amp.

 

This is how I think the T1 performs

-Great imaging

-Great bass quality and good punch but not overpowering

-Great mids and highs

-Good soundstage, about equal to the k702

 

But, lately my music taste “evolved” a bit. I now tend to listen more to jazz and music where vocals are very prominent, where I think the k702 really shines, but I still listen to rock, alternative, electronic, dance , trance…

I know that I will definitely see a big improvement in the latter genres, but will it best the k702 with the former genres?

 

So now I have two questions to ask:

 

I) Would the T1 with a decent setup (total of 1500€) triumph over 4 headphones who “specialize” in different categories and have different uses. This is what I had in mind:

 

T1 vs akg k550 : closed/on the road ; sony mdr ma 900 : light/comfortable,bass music ; sennheiser hd 600 : neutral,classical + akg k702 ( wich I already own) : jazz, vocals

So a 800€ headphone vs 3 headphones and akg k702 = 689€ (187€+249€+261€)

 

 

II) Even If the answer to question I is a no,I would still need a good dac and amp. I will mainly be using the usb autput (computer), so I would like a dac that will accept input up to at least 24 bit/96 khz. The dac and amp should be as neutral as possible. Budget range preferably below 700€ (1000$). Options above 700€ will also be considered but nothing insane please.

Preferably I want to order from amazon.fr/de/co.uk and or thomann (I’m situated in europe, Belgium)

 

 

Please let me know what you think, and make a suggestion about the dac and or amp. Any suggestions are welcome.

 

 

Thanks

post #2 of 11

yes

yes

yes

yes

yes

yes

 

and 

 

YES!!!!!!!

 

 

 

get a WA2 btw.

 

 

cheers. beerchug.gif

post #3 of 11
DsG, The WA2 seems like an obvious choice to pair with t1's but how would you summarise the lcd's with the WA2 for music choices similar to blackNwhite, the emphasis being on jazz, instrumental and vocal genres. Im considering the rega dac to pair with this combo.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rated1975 View Post

DsG, The WA2 seems like an obvious choice to pair with t1's but how would you summarise the lcd's with the WA2 for music choices similar to blackNwhite, the emphasis being on jazz, instrumental and vocal genres. Im considering the rega dac to pair with this combo.

 

 

 

WA2 (warm tubey amp) + LCD-2 (warm + not enough power from WA2 depending on source) + rega dac (warm slightly bassy dac) = doesn't sound like a very good combo, probably slow and underpowered and thick

post #5 of 11

Just to give you a head's up since you're in the market for an amp, as well....Jan Meier has both the T1s and the HD800s available in package deals with his gear (he has amps and a DAC). I went this route and could not be happier. I felt Jan dealt with me very honestly and candidly, and every time he's advised me his feedback has been spot on. 

post #6 of 11

Hi,

 

The T1 is far better than the K702 could ever hope to be. The only advantage is the K702's soundstage is a tiny bit bigger, in terms of width that is. The T1's soundstage is deeper and the imaging is far better.

 

For your musical preferences I'd have to say the T1 will be a much better all rounder. It does everything quite well and the added midrange warmth adds some magic to Jazz wink_face.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post

Hello

 

I find, now that I have the buget, that it’s time to take my music experience to another level. I like to enjoy music as well as to “analyze” it. So I want a headphone that is good at both, but that is also very good with all types of music, scales well and is comfortable to wear. For this I had in mind the Beyerdynamic T1.

 

After some research on the internet and starting a thread about the HD800 vs T1 I learned a few important things about headphones and hi-fi in general.

 

Instead of going for a world-class headphone I started in mid-fi world and went with the akg k702. Although this is a more than satisfactory headphone I feel that for some music I’m missing the extra punch in the bass, and I think that there is still some detail to be found, wich could be achieved by getting a better headphone + dac/amp.

 

This is how I think the T1 performs

-Great imaging

-Great bass quality and good punch but not overpowering

-Great mids and highs

-Good soundstage, about equal to the k702

 

But, lately my music taste “evolved” a bit. I now tend to listen more to jazz and music where vocals are very prominent, where I think the k702 really shines, but I still listen to rock, alternative, electronic, dance , trance…

I know that I will definitely see a big improvement in the latter genres, but will it best the k702 with the former genres?

 

So now I have two questions to ask:

 

I) Would the T1 with a decent setup (total of 1500€) triumph over 4 headphones who “specialize” in different categories and have different uses. This is what I had in mind:

 

T1 vs akg k550 : closed/on the road ; sony mdr ma 900 : light/comfortable,bass music ; sennheiser hd 600 : neutral,classical + akg k702 ( wich I already own) : jazz, vocals

So a 800€ headphone vs 3 headphones and akg k702 = 689€ (187€+249€+261€)

 

 

II) Even If the answer to question I is a no,I would still need a good dac and amp. I will mainly be using the usb autput (computer), so I would like a dac that will accept input up to at least 24 bit/96 khz. The dac and amp should be as neutral as possible. Budget range preferably below 700€ (1000$). Options above 700€ will also be considered but nothing insane please.

Preferably I want to order from amazon.fr/de/co.uk and or thomann (I’m situated in europe, Belgium)

 

 

Please let me know what you think, and make a suggestion about the dac and or amp. Any suggestions are welcome.

 

 

Thanks

post #7 of 11
Not trying to hijack the thread bu he mentions multiple headphones or just the t1. So is it really that good that you wouldn't need another headphone for things like bass heavy music and for watching movies?
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastion View Post

Not trying to hijack the thread bu he mentions multiple headphones or just the t1. So is it really that good that you wouldn't need another headphone for things like bass heavy music and for watching movies?

 

yes its that good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Hi,

 

The T1 is far better than the K702 could ever hope to be. The only advantage is the K702's soundstage is a tiny bit bigger, in terms of width that is. The T1's soundstage is deeper and the imaging is far better.

 

For your musical preferences I'd have to say the T1 will be a much better all rounder. It does everything quite well and the added midrange warmth adds some magic to Jazz wink_face.gif

 

 

+1

 

the k701 is good, but nowhere near the T1's level. the K702 does have a bigger soundstage, but not by much, and it isn't as natural sounding either.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

yes its that good.

 

 

 

 

I agree, as well. They are fantastic for movies and personally I find the bass very well rounded and articulate. Then again, I don't really like a bloated, over-emphasized low end, so YMMV. 

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

 

 

WA2 (warm tubey amp) + LCD-2 (warm + not enough power from WA2 depending on source) + rega dac (warm slightly bassy dac) = doesn't sound like a very good combo, probably slow and underpowered and thick


I suppose the T1's would therefore be a better match for the WA2?

Would you say the T1's top end characteristics are closer to the K701's (as opposed to the LCD2's)

post #11 of 11

oh definitely. 

 

the highs on the LCD-2 are pretty much the opposite of those of the T1. and yes the T1/WA2 pairing is just pure awesomeness. wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › questions before considering beyerdynamic T1