Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Is it okay to like the portapro driver more than ksc75 driver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it okay to like the portapro driver more than ksc75 driver?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 

This is essentially driving me nuts. I have both. I plan on keeping only one set. For reasons of personal preference, I am getting the cheapo part-express headband for whichever pair of drivers I keep. I am holding both sets of drivers to my ear with the same amount of pressure (the amount of pressure that I expect will be applied when using the cheapo headband), and playing them on my Samsung Galaxy SII using Poweramp. The problem is that I can't decide which drivers I like better.

 

For a while, I thought it was a given that I would be keeping the ksc75's. They sound great. They are half the price of the portapro. They seem to handle the treble better. Not as much bass, but possibly also less muddier (although now I am not so sure).

 

But I keep finding myself gravitating to the portapro's. I don't know if it is a better "soundstage" or spatial-ness or whatever, but they just seem to sound fuller, and I find myself getting lost in the music more, and enjoying the music more, with the portapros than with the ksc75's. I'm sure that this is at least partially due to the brighter treble of the ksc75's and the possibility that I am a basshead.

 

Please tell me that it is okay to like the sound of the portapro drivers more!


Edited by waynes world - 6/25/12 at 10:42pm
post #2 of 47

No, it's not ok.

post #3 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

No, it's not ok.

 

Lol!

post #4 of 47

Heh. In all seriousness, I don't know if there's something stopping you from keeping both sets of drivers. You sound like you really have to choose one--so go ahead and choose, and please, make it a choice you own. You don't have to listen to what other people say something sounds like, when you have it right in your hands!

post #5 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

Heh. In all seriousness, I don't know if there's something stopping you from keeping both sets of drivers. You sound like you really have to choose one--so go ahead and choose, and please, make it a choice you own. You don't have to listen to what other people say something sounds like, when you have it right in your hands!

 

Nothing really stopping me from keeping both, except that you would think that I should be able to decide on one of them! But at this rate, I might just have to keep both of them - they really both do sound great (but in different ways).

post #6 of 47

Well, you like what you like. I can almost unequivocally say that the 75 offer a better representation of what the music is "supposed" to sound like than the PP. But, hey, maybe your music or your tastes are more suited to that warm, bassy feeling.

 

Whatever makes you happy, it's your money and your music :)
 

post #7 of 47

Have you listened to the Sennheiser PX100II? Perhaps you just prefer a warmer sound. The PX100II has the warmth of the Portapro but without its murkiness and boominess. Another very good warm sounding compact headphone is the JVC HA-S650. I prefer the HA-S650 to the PX100. The HA-S650 is closed though, although it doesn't isolate that well.

post #8 of 47

Its not ok and as punishment for this serious transgression you will have to surrender all of your audio equipment.  Check your PM for the address to ship it all too.

post #9 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstige View Post

Well, you like what you like. I can almost unequivocally say that the 75 offer a better representation of what the music is "supposed" to sound like than the PP. But, hey, maybe your music or your tastes are more suited to that warm, bassy feeling.

 

Whatever makes you happy, it's your money and your music :)
 

 

All wise words! I am finding that my preference almost changes on a song by song basis (depending on the song's characteristics). If a song has a lot of bass though, I have noticed that the portapro can get a bit muddier. I have until Sunday to return either set, so I will simply continue listening (and enjoying) :)

 

Ps your sig says to take a 10 minute listening break every hour. That's probably wise words also.

post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Please tell me that it is okay to like the sound of the portapro drivers more!

Of course it is not okay. They have the same drivers as the Ksc75. biggrin.gif

post #11 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

Have you listened to the Sennheiser PX100II? Perhaps you just prefer a warmer sound. The PX100II has the warmth of the Portapro but without its murkiness and boominess. Another very good warm sounding compact headphone is the JVC HA-S650. I prefer the HA-S650 to the PX100. The HA-S650 is closed though, although it doesn't isolate that well.

 

Thanks JK1. I appreciate the input.

 

One of the reasons I was hoping to keep the cheaper ksc75's (especially if they sound as good, albeit different, than the portapro's) was that I could then look into getting another pair of something else, without feeling too guilty about it. And I have run across the PX100II in my readings. so they were being considered as "that something else".

 

I got the ksc75 and portapro that I am testing out at a local Canadian store, and the prices are quite high. But for reference, these are the prices that I can find online (including shipping):

 

KSC75 approx $20CN on ebay.ca (I paid $30 at store)

Portapro approx $40CN on ebay.ca (I paid $60 at store)

Yuin G2A approx $55CN on ebay.ca (another set that I was considering, again to be used with a different headband though)

PX100 approx $82CN on amazon.ca (can't find in local stores).

 

I suppose that $82 is fine, assuming that they are actually somewhat better than the others. I can't seem to find them at any local stores (ie futureshop, bestbuy, london drugs). But I will consider them more.

 

As for the JVC's you mentioned, I haven't looked at them yet, but I for sure will do so. Thanks!


Edited by waynes world - 6/26/12 at 9:33am
post #12 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefox View Post

Its not ok and as punishment for this serious transgression you will have to surrender all of your audio equipment.  Check your PM for the address to ship it all too.

 

My amp is really old, and as you can tell, I am just getting going with headphones. So I'll surrender it all to you in a year or so when I have some decent stuff!

post #13 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post

Of course it is not okay. They have the same drivers as the Ksc75. biggrin.gif

 

I suppose that the titanium coating on the ksc75' drivers is what makes them perform differently though?

post #14 of 47

$20 for the KSC75 isn't so bad, but $30 is imo too much. The Portapro at $40 is not bad, although the Sportapro sounds the same and is much less. $60 for the Portapro is too much!

 

$82 is  high for the PX100II. It is $50 at J&R. They are sold out now, but pehaps may get it back in stock? . Some Canadian who live near the US border have a US post office box, and a US issued credit card.

 

I think J&R which is located in NYC has cheap shipping to Canada. I don't know about whether you would need to pay customs duties though. B&H, also in NYC ships to Canada, however I think their shipping to Canada is expensive.

 

http://www.jr.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

post #15 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

$20 for the KSC75 isn't so bad, but $30 is imo too much. The Portapro at $40 is not bad, although the Sportapro sounds the same and is much less. $60 for the Portapro is too much!

 

$82 is  high for the PX100II. It is $50 at J&R. They are sold out now, but pehaps may get it back in stock? . Some Canadian who live near the US border have a US post office box, and a US issued credit card.

 

I think J&R which is located in NYC has cheap shipping to Canada. I don't know about whether you would need to pay customs duties though. B&H, also in NYC ships to Canada, however I think their shipping to Canada is expensive.

 

http://www.jr.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

 

I wish I could figure out how to embed my comments in your quote!

 

Re Portapro @ $60 being too expensive: Yes, that's why I would like to take it back (and now that you mention it, potentially get the sportapro if I want the same drivers).

 

Re Sportapro: Right! I see that I could get them for approx $30CN on ebay.ca. I probably won't like the headband because I understand that it applies even more pressure on the ears then the portapro, but who knows. If I am going to put the drivers on a cheapo headband anyway (which really isn't so cheapo when you add shipping!), then getting the sportapro drivers (same as portapro drivers) for $30CN would for sure be the way to go.

 

Re $82 is high for the PX100II: Good to know - thanks. I will look around more then.

 

Re J&R and B&H: I will check out J&R. And I deal with B&H - just hadn't thought of them for headphones.

 

One factor is that I need one pair now (ie within the next few days), and then I can take my time for looking into something else. So I think what I will probably do is keep the ksc75's (with the not-so-cheapo headband that is on it's way) because (a) they are great and will keep me happy for now and (b) I can then take a bit more time looking into all of other alternatives should I decide that I need to become a headphone addict!

 

Thanks again :)

 

Edit#1: B&H photo won't ship the PX100II's to my Canadian address. But J&R will! I could get them here for approx $56 including freight. And the pricing for their other headphones looks to be quite good also. Awesome!

 

Edit#2: I found the HA-S650 on ebay.ca for $55CN including shipping. Tiem to do some comparing between them and the PX100's :)


Edited by waynes world - 6/26/12 at 2:39pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Is it okay to like the portapro driver more than ksc75 driver?