Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added) Last post on 3/16/16 at 5:43am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portaphile amp reborn!! Last post on 6/11/12 at 3:29am in Portable Headphone Amps
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable Amp For AKG K240 MKIi Last post on 8/12/12 at 8:24am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Portaphile 627 Review - Page 3post #31 of 879/20/12 at 1:50am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 879/21/12 at 12:53pm
Turns out Cesar is about 10 miles from me; he offered to meet me for an audition!
I've never had the opportunity to sit down with a manufacturer before; looking forward to it - hopefully next week:D
Thanks, colinharding, for all the info
Richpost #33 of 879/21/12 at 1:22pmThread Starterpost #34 of 8710/17/12 at 2:50am
Would like to provide an update: I actually got to meet Cesar Aguilera (owner of Portaphile) last week.
He brought his own personal amp to my house and loaned it to me for several days; even offering to let me take it on the road for a few. Before picking it up yesterday; we chatted.
Having never written a review before; here goez (sic).
Gotta tell you; this is one heck of a good amp and Cesar is one heck of a great guy!
I tested it using an iPhone 4s, EASE LOD, Westone 4R's (stock cables - haven't gotten around to swapping them out for my Chris_Himself's recable mod) as well as the cans found in my sig.
A-B'ed the 627 against Amped Up's cmoy, FiiO E11 & Gary Ali's PA2V2.
What I noticed was the 627 was appreciably louder with a much broader soundstage (especially on live recordings) and tighter bass than the other amps.
I heard things in the music I had either never heard before or became more expansive as well as defined; eg., the opening of the (live) Eagles "Hotel California".
Please see the attached playlist for the songs I listened to; also the new Paul Simon "Live In New York" album.
I would like to personally thank Cesar for providing the opportunity to audition such a quality product.post #35 of 8710/17/12 at 2:56ampost #36 of 8711/22/12 at 9:51pmpost #37 of 8711/23/12 at 9:43ampost #38 of 8711/25/12 at 5:01ampost #39 of 8711/26/12 at 2:08ampost #40 of 871/2/13 at 7:52am
This sounded perfect for my setup, so after reading the over the top review on Headfonia (http://www.headfonia.com/possibly-the-best-the-627/) that compared it very favorably to the SR-71a and the ALO Rx Mk3, I ordered one from Cesar. It should ship out next week, and I will post my impressions when it arrives.post #41 of 871/2/13 at 3:26pmQuote:Did you just order it or did you contact Cesar? I sent him an email last week and haven't heard back from him yet. I was really leaning towards the 627 after average joes and mikes review however the battery life kind of changed my mind. Plus in Mikes review he stated:Originally Posted by Nirmalanow
This sounded perfect for my setup, so after reading the over the top review on Headfonia (http://www.headfonia.com/possibly-the-best-the-627/) that compared it very favorably to the SR-71a and the ALO Rx Mk3, I ordered one from Cesar. It should ship out next week, and I will post my impressions when it arrives.
"627 vs Apex Glacier
I just received the ultra slim Glacier and decides to throw it in this comparison.
The sound quality of the Glacier is very solid and definitely among the best sounding portable amps out there. Single ended, and talking purely on sound quality and ignoring power output (though the Glacier is actually quite powerful), I would immediately rank it as better than the Rx Mk3B’s sound quality (ignoring the balanced features on the Mk3B). The Glacier is very spacious and the detail retrieval is amazing, and the closest to the 627 among all the other amps I compared here. The sound is forward and lively, similar to how the Continental and RX Mk3B are which is quite a contrast from the mellower 627. However when I listen to the sound as a whole, the 627 is far more natural sounding and closer to a big desktop amp. Coherence from top to bottom is top notch with the 627, soundstage is very natural (I’ve said it for a few times now, this is among the best aspects of the 627)."
So he is basically stating that it is closest to the 627 than te other amps that he tested but also with the qualities of the alo amps with a better sq than the RX Mk3B. Although there are not many reviews on it yet that steered me towards the glacier. Plus it has a built in dac.
Let me know how it works out for you. It should be a great amp based on the stellar reviews.post #42 of 871/2/13 at 4:40pm
I would try sending another email to Cesar. He did not respond to my first email, but when I resent my message this morning, he responded immediately. So maybe he was having a problem with email. Then once I had some questions answered, I just ordered it on his website. For me the short battery life is not an issue as I have more of a transportable system, and so am often near an outlet to plug in. And my system is already pretty detailed and lively, so maybe a little more mellow will be a good thing :)
post #43 of 871/2/13 at 4:47pmpost #44 of 871/2/13 at 4:49pmpost #45 of 871/2/13 at 5:57pmCesar just responded to my email and I must say he seems like a great guy. He also stated that he should be releasing a 627 with a longer runtime later on this year. I am certainly looking forward to that as that is one of the main reasons I decided to go with the Glacier.
- Portaphile 627 Review
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 30 seconds ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 1 minute ago
- › Denon AH-7200 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › [New & Rare?!] Sennheiser PXC 480 （will trade for th-x00 or variants） 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › *NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT* Jerry Harvey Audio - Performance Series... 5 minutes ago
- › The Reference 6SN7 Thread 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › Cayin i5 by Voxata
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear