New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HBO's The Newsroom - Page 3

post #31 of 49

Tell me that whole rant about the American Taliban wasn't good stuff.

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat28037 View Post

Tell me that whole rant about the American Taliban wasn't good stuff.

An example of The Newsroom being terrible to some 40% of the voting population , perhaps ?

 

In it's entirety , I find the series refreshingly enlightening with the subject of "The Newsroom" deserving of the common mans attention - vs the M. Media's status quoe of abdication of duty over these past 15 years - revealing some of the reasons why .

post #33 of 49
It's very interesting looking at this show from a non-US perspective.

Most of the real-life situations on the show I followed as well, like the oil spill, the revolution in Egypt, the killing of Osama and the rise of the Tea Party.

Some however, I had to google/wikipedia, because they were very America-specific, such as the Anthony Weiner scandal and the Casey Anthony trial.

Overall, I think the show is alright but not very good. It's too melodramatic, too preachy (despite raising valid points, it's all so 20/20 hindsighty material), and some story tangents are just not very interesting (jeez, just ask her out already...). And the trolling/death threat storyline? Laughable...
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzjudz View Post

It's very interesting looking at this show from a non-US perspective.
Most of the real-life situations on the show I followed as well, like the oil spill, the revolution in Egypt, the killing of Osama and the rise of the Tea Party.
Some however, I had to google/wikipedia, because they were very America-specific, such as the Anthony Weiner scandal and the Casey Anthony trial.
Overall, I think the show is alright but not very good. It's too melodramatic, too preachy (despite raising valid points, it's all so 20/20 hindsighty material), and some story tangents are just not very interesting (jeez, just ask her out already...). And the trolling/death threat storyline? Laughable...

Scott T :

 

 

I think this show is terrible. I watched the first 4 episodes... I gave it a chance, but I'm sorry the message it sends out and the structure of the show are at complete odds. They say that this is how the news should be presented, yet it isn't so; it's how the news SHOULD HAVE BEEN presented. I knew I was going to have trouble with the show when they figured out the BP oil spill in 15 minutes, a task probably more complicated than some of the apollo missions.  Sam Witherspoon's acting is just terrible, which is surprising because hes generally one of the great actors of his generation. Oliva Munn... who I admit gets me all bothered and hot every time I see her has the most ridiculous character of them all; an economist named Sloan Sabbath (LOL) who holds TWO PhDs. I dont know what world people get TWO PhDs in, but two things to know. First once you get your first PhD admissions for your second PhD is almost impossible. Thats just the way it is, even though your a well over qualified candidate the mission of graduate school isn't to award two phds but to train scholars. if you already have one PhD you have training enough. Sure you can take classes to become more acquainted with a field and cross over (Note I switched from Physics to Computational Geodynamics). These people don't exist. Jeff Daniels obviously is loosely based of Keith Olbermann, not that I have a huge problem with that its just MSNBC is pretty much fox for democrats. Which gets me to the final thing that irks me. The show is feeding into the lies that they are rebelling against; giving us an idealistic view of news instead of giving us one that is realistic. The politicians today are all about ideas but in reality they are nothing what they say. Thats what causes the discontentment with people, that they aren't telling us the truth. Why do we want to see more fantasies ? 

 

 

 

Definately the show is worthy of these valid critasims , on that score I appreciate their being pointed out .

 

Perhaps it serves my own bias with detestment of contemporary U.S. News programming along with the low bar of what else is offered even on primetime premium programming pkgs. which stokes my interest with the Newsroom.

 

 

 

I could go on further, but what's really the difference between this show and every other soap opera?

 

 

-A soap opera even I would sit through and even enjoy , for the most part ;')

post #35 of 49

I think that overall the show is great, but I do find it annoying when, as mentioned, it acts like a complicated issue could have been "figured out" by news team of that type at the time.

post #36 of 49

I watched it as a pure old school soap opera so have no complaints... Why should everything be feel bad or realistic nowadays? 

As dzjudz I completely missed the casey anthony and weiner incidence. 

 

I don´t know about a season 2. It´s a bit like over eating chocolate.

post #37 of 49
Thread Starter 

Since the second season of "The Newsroom" on HBO begins tonight, I thought that I would resurrect this thread that I began early in the first season. What do you think about the show? What did you think about the first episode in the new season...I'm sure the discussion will be interesting...

post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeWebb View Post

Since the second season of "The Newsroom" on HBO begins tonight, I thought that I would resurrect this thread that I began early in the first season. What do you think about the show? What did you think about the first episode in the new season...I'm sure the discussion will be interesting...

I totally missed it... Oh well, now I know why HBO was re-running the whole first season these past few weeks! LOL
Guess I'll catch it later.
post #39 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
I totally missed it... Oh well, now I know why HBO was re-running the whole first season these past few weeks! LOL
Guess I'll catch it later.

I recently purchased the first season of "The Newsroom" on blu-ray, so I plan to compile the new season on DVR until I get a chance to watch the first season again. Just finished the first season of Netflix's "House Of Cards." and it was fantastic. "Breaking Bad" is right around the corner!

post #40 of 49

Right now I'm fully into Dexter's final season, but adding The Newsroom is fine with me. I missed the whole season 5 of Breaking Bad! Still hate all the characters! LOL

post #41 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
Right now I'm fully into Dexter's final season, but adding The Newsroom is fine with me. I missed the whole season 5 of Breaking Bad! Still hate all the characters! LOL

Just finished re-watching the first season of "Breaking Bad." I want to be up-to-date when the new season starts. It sounds like it's going to be quite a ride!

 

post #42 of 49

So...thoughts on Season 2 so far?

post #43 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
So...thoughts on Season 2 so far?

I have been accumulating second season episodes on my DVR with the intention of reviewing season one, which I bought on blu-ray. In the meantime, I have almost completed re-watching four and a-half seasons of "Breaking Bad" in anticipation of this Sunday's beginning of the end for this incredible television series. I will be starting "The Newsroom" next week. I'll contribute my 2 cents then, but I'm wondering what fans of season one think about season two in comparison....


Edited by DLeeWebb - 8/9/13 at 4:27am
post #44 of 49

I've liked how this season has branched out into the different stories of the more minor charaters more than simply focusing on Will, and I also enjoy that they've considered and felt the repercussions of the openly political rhetoric of the first season.

post #45 of 49

Enjoyed season 1 for the look inside of the news business ; Season 2 so far, is to much of a soap opera for my liking

as I really don't care for the characters other than Will and whats her face , the Director ... Meh ... 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home