how would i go about doing this? would i simply replace the pads or would it be too hard/too much work? thanks everyone :D
Related Forum Threads
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over/on-ear headphones for iPhone? Last post on 11/4/12 at 11:27am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Headphones, On-ear vs over-ear and how much should one spend? etc... Last post on 9/20/12 at 8:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best over-ear/on-ear portable headphones for around $100US Last post on 9/13/12 at 8:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable over the ear's for daily travel use (Budget ~ $50) Last post on 7/8/13 at 6:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
anyway to make supraaural headphones into cirumaural?
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 56/24/12 at 8:18pm
With Grados in particular, circumaural solution called C-pads are available. Not sure how some of the other supraaurals would take to being modded in such way, though.
Also remember that the supraaurals were designed so that they sound like how they are in their stock pad configuration... changing them to supraaurals will always change the sound (Headphile C-pads mentioned above are no exception).
Edited by K_19 - 6/24/12 at 8:20pmpost #3 of 56/24/12 at 8:35pmThread Starterpost #4 of 56/24/12 at 8:58pm
it depends on the pads you use. pleather increases bass, for example. other pads, such as velour, foam, etc decrease lower frequencies, create an acoustic chamber which emphasizes HF, etc.
increasing the distance of the driver to your ear aids in instrument separation, imaging, and head stage.
IMO the best compromise is a combination of foam, and another material. With my grados I cut out foam "adapters." That is, I made a foam pad that is about the same size as the cum diaphragm, then superglued them to my circumaural pads. The way the soundwaves interacts with the combination pleather/foam cups makes it sounds almost identical to quarter/flipped comfys, with the comfort of oval cups.
Those are just cheap pleather cups I took off a scrapped pair of highsmith 'phones. masking tape i used in my "ghettomod" tore off some of the stitching. I assume comfort and sound would be much better with better pads.post #5 of 56/25/12 at 8:25pmThread Starter
- anyway to make supraaural headphones into cirumaural?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Rock and Classical Headphones 9 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 28 seconds ago
- › Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread 55 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 59 seconds ago
- › Speakers recommendation - $500 budget 1 minute ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING 4 minutes ago
- › Audigy 2 zs SB0290 5 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 5 minutes ago
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)