how would i go about doing this? would i simply replace the pads or would it be too hard/too much work? thanks everyone :D
Related Forum Threads
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over/on-ear headphones for iPhone? Last post on 11/4/12 at 11:27am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Headphones, On-ear vs over-ear and how much should one spend? etc... Last post on 9/20/12 at 8:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best over-ear/on-ear portable headphones for around $100US Last post on 9/13/12 at 8:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable over the ear's for daily travel use (Budget ~ $50) Last post on 7/8/13 at 6:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
anyway to make supraaural headphones into cirumaural?
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 56/24/12 at 8:18pm
With Grados in particular, circumaural solution called C-pads are available. Not sure how some of the other supraaurals would take to being modded in such way, though.
Also remember that the supraaurals were designed so that they sound like how they are in their stock pad configuration... changing them to supraaurals will always change the sound (Headphile C-pads mentioned above are no exception).
Edited by K_19 - 6/24/12 at 8:20pmpost #3 of 56/24/12 at 8:35pmThread Starterpost #4 of 56/24/12 at 8:58pm
it depends on the pads you use. pleather increases bass, for example. other pads, such as velour, foam, etc decrease lower frequencies, create an acoustic chamber which emphasizes HF, etc.
increasing the distance of the driver to your ear aids in instrument separation, imaging, and head stage.
IMO the best compromise is a combination of foam, and another material. With my grados I cut out foam "adapters." That is, I made a foam pad that is about the same size as the cum diaphragm, then superglued them to my circumaural pads. The way the soundwaves interacts with the combination pleather/foam cups makes it sounds almost identical to quarter/flipped comfys, with the comfort of oval cups.
Those are just cheap pleather cups I took off a scrapped pair of highsmith 'phones. masking tape i used in my "ghettomod" tore off some of the stitching. I assume comfort and sound would be much better with better pads.post #5 of 56/25/12 at 8:25pmThread Starter
- anyway to make supraaural headphones into cirumaural?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 37 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio universals isolation? 3 minutes ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 3 minutes ago
- › Office headphone (dac+amp) recommendation? 3 minutes ago
- › Help me chose closed over the ear headphones in between 100-200$ 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Custom IEM choice Harmony 8 / Harmony 8 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Armaegis
- › Logitech Z-560 THX-Certified 4.1 Speaker System by spronkey
- › MDR-XD 150 W weiß by whitemass
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2