Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- On Ear Headphones with iPhone Remote - recommendations? Last post on 10/2/12 at 7:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- When will B&W P3 be released?? Last post on 7/13/12 at 2:10pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- NEW! B&W p3 headphones in white or black Last post on 8/13/12 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Last post on 6/28/14 at 10:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Queen fan looking for portable on ears UPDATED: looking for IEMs instead Last post on 4/1/13 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
NEW! Pioneer SE-MJ591 "Audiophile" headphones unboxing & impressions to come. - Page 4post #46 of 1887/4/12 at 8:42amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 1887/4/12 at 12:22pm
Whoa there Mr. Fancy Amp Pants, the best amp isn't going to make up for that $20 Monster Cab-- LOL, just kidding. I do take it that the Monster Cable works then? Probably sticks out a little bit, but the cans do accept the shank?
I inadvertently discovered a way to make the 591 sound INCREDIBLY GOOD last night. I was given a pair of truly craptastic headphones to see if I could salvage them through some simple modding (foam removal, damping, etc.). And while I could easily alter the profile, the crap cans never sounded anything close to acceptable. No matter what, it was going to remain some shade of thin and sibilant.
However, I threw on the 591 afterwards for some recovery. It was like sliding into a warm bath of sound. It was great! Matter of fact, the 591 never sounded so good. Never know what you've got until its gone I guess.
Maybe that was that a factor all along... we didn't cleanse our palate before sliding into these? It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I was listening to a pair of Yogas (not a Fischer rebrand, another completely different model) and it had exceptional clarity for a simple pair of closed cans. Then I moved into the 591 without skipping a beat really. Might not have been sufficiently objective in my subjectivity? What were you listening to RIGHT before these? The P3 I think...quite a bit of difference there in clarity and detail I'd wager.
Or maybe I'm just really reaching and grasping at straws now?post #48 of 1887/6/12 at 12:01pm
I believe these headphones are engineered to carry the same sound signature whether they are amped or not. Check their specs, but I believe this is purposeful. I could be completely wrong though but the reason I say so is this was my understanding of new Sony MDR V55's. Both of these headphones have similar specs in regards to resistance.post #49 of 1887/6/12 at 12:13pm
I just got the SE-MJ591 headphones in my quest for the most perfect pair of headphones for all around use.
- Seal fairly well
- Don't leak noise
- Built well to take abuse (throw it in the bag)
- Sound balanced with an emphasis on detail and positioning. I want to hear the small details that I don't hear with most headphones.
- Can be used for more than 3 hours without discomfort or fatigue
Comparison headphones that I own: TMA-1 Studios, SC Aviators, Bose OE2's, Bose AE2's, Sony MDR V55, Koss DJ1000
So far I'm in love with these headphones and will be looking to sell the TMA-1 Studio's. These have replaced my entire collection because they present themselves to be the best overall portables and they do not fall short in any one category (yet).post #50 of 1887/6/12 at 12:14pmpost #51 of 1887/6/12 at 12:59pmThread StarterI ordered the Monster Cable i800 cable so it should arrive next week. I'll report back if it fits or not.
You didn't like the TMA-1 Studio? I was gonna get that one with Mic.
I do agree that these may be the best portable headphones in terms of sound and comfort. However, I do have the Klipsch Image One coming next week so we'll see of the 591 is still king.post #52 of 1887/6/12 at 5:18pm
The TMA-1 Studio's are indeed very comfortable and they have a pleasing sound signature that does not fatigue. They are not as revealing as the SE-MJ591 though and in comparison have a slight amount of sub bass roll off.
They can be worn for extremely long periods of time. I do like them.
The cons? Well... I dunno... I have to buy new ear pads to make them more like supra-aural portables (the earpads that came with mine were defective from the factory and I don't want giant-princess-leia-cinnabons on my head), and I have to buy a new cable for it because the coiled cable is not portable at all. And when that is done... they fall short of the SE-MJ591's build quality, perceived quality and portability.
I find that I'm a 1 headphone kinda guy - I like 1 can that does all things well. I may keep my Studio's... but I think will use the Pioneers exclusively. They are more revealing.. that is what seals the deal for me.post #53 of 1887/7/12 at 4:45am
Man, I go away for a couple days and this thread explodes...Quote:Originally Posted by localredhead
I believe these headphones are engineered to carry the same sound signature whether they are amped or not. Check their specs, but I believe this is purposeful. I could be completely wrong though but the reason I say so is this was my understanding of new Sony MDR V55's. Both of these headphones have similar specs in regards to resistance.
I should mention that the amp I've been using also has a bass boost capable of up to +12 dBs from 5Hz to 350Hz. This really helps in terms of Electronica. Might explain some of the "improvement" (i.e. coloration) I heard when amped.Quote:
I haven't tried yet - just been way too busy. But I'll report back when I do, though HiFiGuy will probably have a verdict on that by then.post #54 of 1887/9/12 at 8:28ampost #55 of 1887/9/12 at 9:50amQuote:
Not very much at all. For a pair of supraaurals, they seem to do quite well in the leakage/isolation department. I routinely use these on my commute (via rail) and at work - no one around me seems to notice a thing.post #56 of 1887/10/12 at 3:18amQuote:
Thanks warrenpchi!My pair should come today,i'm looking forward to test them and make a comparison with all my other cans :-) i'm thinking to buy a spare cable,i hope Hifiguy will tell us if the monster one would fit these!post #57 of 1887/10/12 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #58 of 1887/10/12 at 9:09amQuote:
I've actually had the Beats Mixr for quite a while now..i would have never said but i like them!Not Audiophile at all but a fun sound signature that really please me and good isolation.A bit bassy and warm but not as much as the other beats or the bose (worst kind of sound,extremely muddy). At the beginning they were quite tight and uncomfortable but they got much better in time.At the moment I prefer them to my beyerdynamics DT1350 that sounds very analytic (someone is going to blame me for this..i know :-))post #59 of 1887/10/12 at 9:49am
Aww man, I thought we were bros... Don't you go tell Momma bout this, that done break her heart if she finds out... It's that, that, that Guetta boy isn't it? Been hanging out with them dee jays all hours of the night listening to Lord knows what kind of dirty, filthy cans! Its all my fault - I shoulda been looking out for ya.
BTW, let me know when the unboxing vid is up, YouTube's subscription notification thing is broken.post #60 of 1887/10/12 at 10:13amThread StarterLOL.... I needed to find out for myself if the Beats are really as bad as people say. From my short auditions at Best Buy, the MIXR is the best sounding of the Beats line. I will post the unboxing here. I've done a lot of research so I will let my viewers know how to ID a fake Beats MIXR.
- NEW! Pioneer SE-MJ591 "Audiophile" headphones unboxing & impressions to come.
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 17 seconds ago
- › Need Help Choosing a DAC + Headphone Amp 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Is anyone building the KGSSHV? 2 minutes ago
- › pupDAC Step-by-Step Build Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Decware Select Zen CSP2 Tube Headphone Amp 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-29 (Single Ended Master Race lol) 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)