It is certainly a great dac. It has me reconsidering the need to purchase an ODAC at least for now. I still wish it had a normal enclosure...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCEntrance DACmini CXtagged by System, 6/28/12
- productCEntrance DACport LX Ultra Low-noise, portable USB DACtagged by System, 6/28/12
- productCEntrance DACport USB Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/28/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/28/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/28/12
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/28/12
- productJDS Labs ODACtagged by System, 6/28/12
- productLeckerton Audio UHA-6S portable amp/DACtagged by System, 6/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- ODAC+O2 or Dacport LX+E11/cMoy for HE-400? Last post on 9/25/13 at 9:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Amp and DAC for HE-400s Last post on 8/10/12 at 10:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I have $300 to spend. Should I upgrade? Last post on 6/18/12 at 2:08am in Dedicated Source Components
- good dac in the max $350 range? Last post on 9/3/12 at 10:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Do the DACport and the DACport LX really sound different? - Page 2post #16 of 501/30/13 at 7:43pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 501/31/13 at 11:53ampost #18 of 501/31/13 at 2:17pm
I personally prefer both the sound signature and the build quality of the CEntrance DACport LX to all three of the ESS9018 ESS9023 DACs with which I've spent a lot of time listening:
JDS Labs ODAC
Stoner Acoustics UD100
All of these "affordable" USB DACs use the exact same ESS9018 ESS9023 chip as the $7,000 Weiss DAC202, which I've not heard. The thing to remember is that there is more to the sound of a DAC than the converter chip that's at the heart of it.
The three DACs I've listed above all have different USB receiver chips. The UD100 can only go up to 16-bit/48kHz, where the ODAC and Dragonfly can go to 24-bit/96 kHz.
But to my ears, the UD100 and the ODAC sound very similar - almost impossible to distinguish - where the Dragonfly sounds a little warmer, but keep in mind that the Dragonfly has a headphone amp built in.
I should add, however, that when I say the UD100 and the ODAC sound very similar, that's only true when the ODAC isn't throwing little "fits" as I call them, where I could hear extremely short duration "splashes" in the treble, whenever I played a particularly complex track, with lots of instruments or voices. These "splashes" heard with the ODAC happened very infrequently, maybe once or twice in a three-minute song, but they were very annoying - like two blocks of styrofoam being rubbed together.
Before I returned the ODAC to JDS Labs, they told me that other people were reporting similar problems and suggested a workaround of plugging the ODAC into an AC-powered USB hub, instead of powering it from my laptop. I was unwilling to do that, because... A) I wasn't hearing this problem when powering my DACport LX from the same USB port on the same laptop, and B) I didn't like the idea of being tethered to an AC outlet with a DAC that should get its power from the USB port.
The UD100 suffered no such problems, but sounds nearly identical to the ODAC, otherwise. Overall, I like the sound of the UD100 (and the ODAC when it's behaving.) But the UD100 and ODAC are kind of thin and bright, relative to the DACport LX - "thin" meaning that it lacks dynamics, swing, punch, slam, aggressiveness, etc. and "bright" meaning that it's just got a little too much treble energy for my tastes, but at least they are smooth, without glare, or harshness - non-fatiguing.
The CEntrance DACport LX, on the other hand, is pretty much perfect to my ears, my gear, my tastes. In Headfonia's review of the the DACport LX, Mike wrote that (to his ears) the DACport LX can hold its own with $2000 desktop DACs. I've never heard a $2000 desktop DAC, but I know the LX is a lot more appealing to my ears than the three ESS9018 ESS9023 DACs I've tried.
Updates in red: Corrections, thanks to Poimandres.
Edited by zilch0md - 1/31/13 at 10:39pmpost #19 of 501/31/13 at 2:24pm
I've been eyeing on the LX for some time. I've also been reading your reviews and I think my taste is similar to yours. I guess I'll be getting it soon.
I'm using UD100 atm. I think it's great for the price but I'm looking for something more. Thanks.post #20 of 501/31/13 at 2:26pmpost #21 of 501/31/13 at 3:18pm
What "are the 9023's not the 9018?"
Are you talking about the chips used in the ODAC, the UD100, and the Dragonfly?
By the way, I don't know what chip is used in the DACport LX - I think it's their own proprietary design.
Mikepost #22 of 501/31/13 at 3:21pmQuote:
That's the trick - figuring out if a reviewer's tastes are the same as yours. Then there's the synergy with the rest of your gear.
It kills me how hard it is to know what you're buying in advance of spending the money with Head-Fi gear, but I think CEntrance has a no-restocking-fee trial period refund policy, at least. Check with them before you take my word on that.
Mikepost #23 of 501/31/13 at 5:10pmYes I was talking about the sabre dac, it is the 9023 the 9018 is the 32 bit reference chip in the DX100 I believe.
The chip in the DACport is the same as what's in the mini. The AKM 4396 is the chip used I believe.post #24 of 501/31/13 at 10:34pm
I asked, "Are you talking about the chips used in the ODAC, the UD100, and the Dragonfly?
And you answered, "Yes, I was talking about the sabre dac, it is the 9023... ...the 9018 is the 32-bit reference chip in the DX100 I believe.
So... Are you saying that the ODAC, the UD100, and the Dragonfly all use the 9023?
ODAC: I've just spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out which DAC chip is used in the ODAC, but cannot find it. Arrrgh! I could very easily have been incorrect in my understanding that all three of those DACs use the ESS9018, but I can't find any specification saying exactly what the ODAC uses.
UD100: It took me less than a minute to find evidence that the UD100 uses the ESS9023. I don't know where I heard it was the ESS9018. I will update my original post. Thanks!
Dragonfly: OK, it took me a little bit longer for this one, but now I'm also convinced that the Dragonfly is using the ESS9023.
I think you must be right about the ODAC, too, so that's it - strike 3, I'm out!
And the DX100 uses the 9018! And the DACmini and DACport use the AKM 4396. Right you are!
My original post has been updated.
Mikepost #25 of 502/1/13 at 3:17amYeah sorry. When I post from my iphone it has a way of changing what I would like to type. I should start retreading before I post. Yes all three utilize the same chip, the odac, dragonfly and UD100. again my apologies.
One thing I agree with you on is the sound the DACport LX I prefer over the dragonfly and if the other two sound similar to the dragonfly the LX is the way to go. I will not be purchasing an ODAC.
I still would like to change the case of the odac so I can stack it. Anyone know of a case that would work?post #26 of 502/1/13 at 9:33am
Right - those other DACS we've discussed here aren't in the same league as the DACport LX, for sound quality or engineering. The DACport and DACport LX have five different power supplies built into them, and manage to run on just about any laptop or PC USB port without suffering power-related glitches.
I don't know of any way to encase the LX, as you are suggesting.
Heat could be a problem, though, if you tried to enclose it.
It's truly remarkable how much cooler the my DACport LX runs while resting on this inexpensive heat sink - with no fans or anything else to move the air around it.
Mikepost #27 of 502/1/13 at 5:30pmpost #28 of 502/1/13 at 6:05pmpost #29 of 502/1/13 at 6:13pmpost #30 of 502/16/13 at 9:13am
Just got my LX today. It's quite an improvement over the UD100, but the UD100 itself is a great DAC for the price.
I no longer have to use the equalizer to get the sound I want and live recording is much more real now. :D
- Do the DACport and the DACport LX really sound different?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 59 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 1 minute ago
- › Android: Neutron Music Player 1 minute ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › 100 Ohm Adaptor for low impedance headphones 6 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 7 minutes ago
- › Explain your avatar 8 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude