- 834 Posts. Joined 8/2009
- Location: Las Vegas, NV
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need help reaching the next level with my set up. Last post on 10/26/12 at 5:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Nuforce Dac-100 News - Page 7post #91 of 29212/4/12 at 6:39pmProject86, have you heard the DA-100 yet? I used to have an HDP. My most recent DAC is the Yulong D18 you reviewed, which I really love. I'm amazed by its performance for the price. It was clearly in a higher league than the Audio-gd NFB10 I had before it.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 29212/5/12 at 8:35amQuote:
So far I have had the DDA100 for a while, and really enjoy it. The other two are on the way. Do I can't really comment on how the DAC100 will compare to the D18. I have a hard time believing anything will dethrone the D18 in terms of value - that thing is a monster. Then again, the new Resonessence Concero MIT do just that, though with a different sound signature.
So many good DACs, so little time.post #93 of 29212/5/12 at 8:35ampost #94 of 29212/6/12 at 12:24am
I haven't used the remote since the first week, since I use it right next to my chair in the bedroom for headphone listening. It's nice to have around if your listening chair is not as close to the gear.post #95 of 29212/6/12 at 4:04pmQuote:
Oh definitely, a remote is very much appreciated. It's just a bit tricky that they all use and respond to the same remote... So if you used them together it could get confusing. I'm still glad they used a remote for each of them though, just in case.post #96 of 29212/6/12 at 5:07pm
I got an email from Nuforce that there will be alternative code remotes available upon request. I've got some other notes too but I'm heading out the door and will write something out later.post #97 of 29212/7/12 at 9:03pmpost #98 of 29212/7/12 at 9:32pmpost #99 of 29212/7/12 at 9:57pm
With the Icon2, the LPS lowered the noise floor and felt like it improved the impact of highly dynamic sections. The LPS is not compatible with the DAC-100.post #100 of 29212/8/12 at 6:04amI've been wondering what i would lose going from the dac-100 to the LPS - HDP - HAP.
but i feel like I may get the HAP in a month or so (i go back to work monday) because half the time I am turning the volume up all the way and when playing 24bit it's not loud enough.post #101 of 29212/8/12 at 12:24pm
Well the HDP->HAP would offer more gain than the DAC-100 alone. If you're really looking to maximize everything though, maybe go LPS->HDP->Icon amp and run your headphones off the speaker outputs. This would make full use of the upgraded LPS as it would power both the HDP and IconAmp as well as feed digital into the HDP.
Edited by Armaegis - 12/8/12 at 12:25pmpost #102 of 29212/8/12 at 1:49pmQuote:
I have the DAC-100 and the DA11, and specifically with the Sennheiser HD800 I prefer the DAC-100--it's fuller sounding with the HD 800 than the DA11.post #103 of 29212/8/12 at 2:00pm
Interesting to know. Headphoneaddict has mentioned before that the HD800 was in mind when they were designing the amp. I imagine the impedance curve of the HD800 will account for a slightly warm bloom in the midbass region.post #104 of 29212/8/12 at 2:19pmQuote:
Thanks for replying, Jude! Is the DAC-100 as transparent sounding as the DA10 or is it coloured in any way?
Best wishes, Windsorpost #105 of 29212/20/12 at 5:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by Armaegis
I wasn't aware the dac in the DAC-100 runs in class A... I don't see anything about it in the literature. But even then, the psu on the right side is hotter in the DAC. Maybe that's because it has to power more components in the DAC-100 compared to the HAP-100? Just curious about it, that's all.
Later this week I plan to borrow a Schiit Bifrost and Lyr (and if my friend is feeling generous maybe his LCD2) to do some comparison.
I have the Nuforce power supply with the 192k usb converter as well, which can feed the DAC-100 and Bifrost simultaneously, and feed those both into the HAP-100 (and possibly into the Icon2 into HE-6 later on). for a good head to head of the dacs. I might throw the iBasso D10 and some others into the mix if I'm not worn out of listening by then. Heck I could do a FiiO e10 coax out into one of the dacs as well...
Hold on so the Nuforce power supply 192k is compatible w/ the dac-100?
- Nuforce Dac-100 News
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 21 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 mods 30 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 1 minute ago
- › SPDIF to DAC/Amp combof 5.1 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear