Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music - Page 2

post #16 of 92

PEOPLE SHOULD STOP LIKING THINGS I DON"T LIKE.

 

That's basically the jist of it.

post #17 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by converge View Post

heT1P.jpg

LOL!

 

True. I shouldn't have said "modern" but rather most pop music.

 

I listen to Florence and the Machine. Let's not forget Grizzly Bear or Fleet Foxes or Feist or Adele. There is a lot of good music around today...you just have to find it.

post #18 of 92

I think people need to re-read the thread name. POPULAR MUSIC.

post #19 of 92

I was hoping to see some real facts about mastering or other audio stuff....not biased people thinking of the good ole days.

post #20 of 92

It's weird the way pop music is. Like, I was listening to the Nicki Minaj song in Head Injury's post, Stupid Hoe. And I was sitting there thinking to myself, where can this go from here? You know? Stripped to the bone, almost no melody, and lyrics that seriously made me cringe. And it's not just her stuff, there's plenty of it.

 

I do agree that there is great music to be had today. Absolutely. But when it comes to 'mainstream', I guess you call it, I just don't know what's next. Like, if I think back to the past few decades, I can see the evolution. But I just don't know where it's headed next. I can't envision what people will eat up next.

 

And I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. In fact, I have two Nicki Minaj albums in my library (don't judge lol). But it baffles me sometimes. It's not that I'm a 'hater'. I don't think I am. I can appreciate many things, but sometimes I can't help but to shake my head in amazement at some of the 'mainstream music'.

 

And that's the other thing, like there is a lot of music to be had that I think is good today. And that confuses me even more, that artists with (all in my opinion) more talent than more than a few of the mainstream artists can go their whole lives undiscovered, yet some of what's popular is borderline laughable.

 

Sorry for the rant guys, I'm no hater, I hope this post wasn't taken like that. It's all just my opinion.


Edited by BrownBear - 7/4/12 at 11:13pm
post #21 of 92

Luckily it's very easy to remove oneself from Pop Music.
I never hear the stuff because I just listen to what I want to.
I don't watch or listen to music channels or the radio, the only music I hear is what I put in my cd player :]

post #22 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post

I think people need to re-read the thread name. POPULAR MUSIC.

 

Hmmmmm - OK then - let's look at some of the most popular music consistently on the iTunes (albums) in the last 12 months (includes some very recent ones as well) ........ and I'm talking about recent modern "pop / popular" music

 

Adele

Florence & The Machine

Mumford & Sons

Fleet Foxes

The Lumineers

Fiona Apple

Norah Jones

 

(skewed towards my taste - there will be a lot of other great releases out there for different genres)

 

OK - yes in those same charts there is a lot of the new repetitive BS music - but as Converge said - it''s just a matter of picking your way through the myriad of releases.  Thankfully there has been, and continues to be, a lot of great "POPULAR" music being released.

post #23 of 92

Pop music = 'Average music for the average music listener'

Its music for people who listen to whatever is put in front of them.

 

At least that's the way I see it.

 

BTW Posts 4 & 7 made me laugth so much I spilled tea all over my bloody keyboard eek.gif


Edited by nigeljames - 7/5/12 at 4:49am
post #24 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

Pop music = 'Average music for the average music listener'

 

 

OK - but then if all 'pop' music is crap (original premise of the article) - what would you say about Adele (consistently ranked very high in any charts since release of "21") - ie lyrical content, talent, and music ......

 

Too many generalisations.

post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

OK - but then if all 'pop' music is crap (original premise of the article) - what would you say about Adele (consistently ranked very high in any charts since release of "21") - ie lyrical content, talent, and music ......

 

Too many generalisations.

 

Did I state that 'ALL' pop music is crap?  I don't think so.

 

There will always be some exceptions to every rule so there will always be some quality pop music. I actually really like Florence & the Machine and some of Adele's music as well. At least these artists can actually sing, play real instruments and write real son's rather all the processed carp that calls itself pop music nowadays.

 

I stand by my opinion that most 'pop music is avarage music for the average music listener. For the average music listener thats all they want & need I have no problem with that.

Pop music used to be far more creative and have far higher levels of talent than it does now and the reason is because the music is important. The priorities now are money, image, dancing and popularity.

Thats also why the vast majority (but not all) of pop artists either can't sing, because they don't need to and its not important, or concentrate on the dancing so only bother to mine unless in the studio where magic can be made to happen to their voices. wink_face.gif

post #26 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

Pop music = 'Average music for the average music listener'

Its music for people who listen to whatever is put in front of them.

 

At least that's the way I see it.

 

BTW Posts 4 & 7 made me laugth so much I spilled tea all over my bloody keyboard eek.gif

I dont think so, the general rule is the newer the pop music the worst it gets. pop music in the 90s were actually good.

post #27 of 92

"Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun"

dt880smile.png

post #28 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDobermanxX View Post

I dont think so, the general rule is the newer the pop music the worst it gets. pop music in the 90s were actually good.

 

I totally agree with that although I feel the decline started in the 80's. My statement was referring to modern pop music anyway.

post #29 of 92

Some of the top of the billboard charts from one of my favorite years, 1968:

 

Notice this is the charts, it doesn't even include amazing albums like Village Green Preservation Society, Odessey and Oracle, We're Only in it for the Money, Astral Weeks, and Soft Machine.

 

Hello Goodbye - The Beatles

I heard it through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight and the Pips

Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin

I second that emotion - Smokey Robinson

Boogaloo Down Broadway - The Fantastic Johnni C

If I Could Build My Whole World Around You - Marvin Gaye

Wear Your Love Like Heaven - Donovan

Tell Mama - Etta James

Love Me Two Times - The Doors

I can't stand myself - James Brown

Darlin' - The Beach Boys

Itchycoo Park - Small Faces

I wish it would Rain - the Temptations

You - Marvin Gaye

Everything that Touches You - The Association

Walk Away Renee - The Four Tops

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

Since You've Been Gone - Aretha Franklin

Dance to the Music - Sly and the Family Stone

Sunshine of your Love - Cream

Scarborough Fair- Simon and Garfunkel

I Got the Feelin' - James Brown

Love is All Around - the Troggs

Lady Madonna - The Beatles

Jennifer Juniper - Donovan

Security - Etta James

Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye

Shoo-Be-Do-Be-Doo-Da-Day - Stevie Wonder

The Unkown Soldier - The Doors

Mrs. Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel

Call Me Lightning - The Who

Jumpin' Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones

Hurdy Gurdy Man - Donovan

Never Give You Up - Jerry Butler

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash

Dream A little dream of Me - Mammas and the Pappas

Amen - Otis Redding

Do it Again - Beach Boys

Hush - Deep Purple

Magic Bus - The Who

Hey Jude- The Beatles

Revolution - The Beatles

Suzie Q - CCR

All Along the Watchtower-  Jimi Hendrix

White Room - Cream

Both Sides Now - Judy Collins

Poppa's Got a Brand New Bag - Otis Redding

 

There was a point when great music on the radio (ie popluar music) was the rule rather than the exception.

 

If the average person demanded more - more substance, melody, harmonics, variety, talent, originality, variation - then that would be the stuff on the radio (there's still some good music coming out but you have to look for it.)  Pop music's decline merely mirrors the general populace's real interest in music as something other than background in the car, at work, or in the club.

 

 

post #30 of 92

I think we should clarify a bit. There is Pop music, and then there are conveyor belt "pop music" products. This article was clearly about the latter one. There are honest to God good singers, real artists in pop music and then there is garbage created by record companies to create money. Shooting stars that shine bright for few hits and then die down when the next one shows up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music