buy the P3 for looks and build quality. The sound is just OK.
Related Forum Threads
- On Ear Headphones with iPhone Remote - recommendations? Last post on 10/2/12 at 7:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for Headphones with Style and Substance Last post on 9/9/12 at 8:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I have $50 credit at Crutchfield, looking for portable cans under $200, but Crutch is limited Last post on 9/7/12 at 3:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- B&W P3 - can the sound be "fixed"? Last post on 11/29/14 at 10:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphones straight out of an iPod? Last post on 8/7/12 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost...
Review Of The Remax RM-S1 IEM 06/28/16 So like many I'm not exactly into a super flat sound signature. I like some bass at times, actually pretty much all the time. I own flat...
Introduction – Westone separate their universal range of iems into two categories, the consumer W series and the more professionally orientated UM Pro series that were designed for use during live...
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
NEW! Bowers & Wilkins P3 in White Unboxing Video & Impressions to come. - Page 2post #16 of 416/24/12 at 12:13pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 416/24/12 at 12:24pmpost #18 of 416/24/12 at 2:54pm
well with the p5s there are headphones like the beyerdynamic dt1350 or hd25 (with cloth pads) that sound better, but I find that I like the p5s better for everyday use because I don't feel I need too carry a portable amp with me too use them. So if I am not out too bring a whole portable reference rig with me the p5s are nice because they are small, practical, and comfy headphones that I can get good sound straight out of my iphone.post #19 of 416/24/12 at 2:57pmpost #20 of 416/28/12 at 3:30pmQuote:
Yeah, that's what I got too. I'm passing on these.post #21 of 416/28/12 at 4:01pmThread Starterpost #22 of 416/28/12 at 4:10pm
It's about the bling, not the other way around.post #23 of 417/2/12 at 9:19am
Any changes to your impressions now that they've had a week or so to burn in? It looks like these are readily available most places today, contemplating getting a pair for compare to my V-Moda M80spost #24 of 417/3/12 at 7:47am
So I stopped by Best Buy yesterday and picked up a pair of these, and I'm not impressed. I did some initial listening and then let these burn in for 18 hours. Let me start by saying that I really wanted to like these, they're beautiful and are compact and I really like the design overall, all they needed to do was sound good enough and I'd be sold.
Here are my impressions.
First, the build quality, aesthetics, and comfort on these are all very good. Let's go ahead and get that out of the way now, if all you want is something that looks and feels good then these may be for you. Now on to the sound:
In a word, muffled. After 18 hours or so on continuous playback to break them in the sound really hasn't changed much at all, so I doubt it'll change much going forward either.
First of all, out of the box and un-equalized these are borderline unlistenable. There is NO top end, and I don't mean that like "they're missing that last little bit of sparkle", no I mean no top end. There's lots of upper bass, midrange that is there but overshadowed by the bass and a top end that is virtually non-existant. I don't have the tools to measure them, but if I did I suspect the FR curve would be a line that goes from upper left to lower right with a few weird spikes. If you have music that is excessively bright to the point of unlistenable on other headphones it may work well on these - I do not have any and cannot think of any though and just see how any human with normal hearing could enjoy these unequalized.
No problem, that's why we have equalizers right? Well first off I'm generally opposed to equalization on principle alone, but even moreso on portable devices because of the battery hit. However, to really give these a fair shake and be able to form any coherent opinion other than 'suck' I played around with the EQ settings on the iPhone.
I tried all the options, and the two that sounded the best were bass reducer and treble booster. Treble booster just bumps up the treble while mostly leaving everything else alone, bass reducer drops the bass down a bit which results in the high end popping out a little. Treble booster worked best 90% of the time but for music that was real bassy I went the other way. Even with the EQ engaged though, these still have a very dark sound to them. So with the treble engaged the highs were a bit better, they were at least there but were very thin sounding, but the overall sound of the headphone was still very colored and dark. That upper bass just overshadows the entire midrange and just throws the whole sound way out of balance. I suppose some forms of Rock and maybe electronic music sound ok, but overall the sound is just not good even when equalized.
I also dug out the Zune to get a comparison on another device even though these are engineered to iDevices. The results on the Zune are exactly the same. In fact when playing back the same file the Zune and iPhone sound remarkably similar (I still hate the lack of physical volume buttons on my Zune though).
So in review, not impressedpost #25 of 417/4/12 at 7:34amThread Starterpost #26 of 417/25/12 at 12:00pmpost #27 of 417/25/12 at 12:18pmThread Starterpost #28 of 417/26/12 at 10:26pmQuote:
I am going to pick a pair up within a week and will be trying to come up with homebrew earpads for them.post #29 of 417/26/12 at 10:33pmThread Starter
- NEW! Bowers & Wilkins P3 in White Unboxing Video & Impressions to come.
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 5 seconds ago
- › First time posting, be gentle... SBZ help 1 minute ago
- › Like New - CTM CT-400 Pro Custom CIEM's 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Koss ESP950 6 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...