buy the P3 for looks and build quality. The sound is just OK.
Related Forum Threads
- On Ear Headphones with iPhone Remote - recommendations? Last post on 10/2/12 at 7:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for Headphones with Style and Substance Last post on 9/9/12 at 8:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I have $50 credit at Crutchfield, looking for portable cans under $200, but Crutch is limited Last post on 9/7/12 at 3:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- B&W P3 - can the sound be "fixed"? Last post on 11/29/14 at 10:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphones straight out of an iPod? Last post on 8/7/12 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are simply the best sounding headphones I have ever owned (and I've owned and sold a lot of them). They are sublimely smooth, yet detailed without the least bit of harshness at all in the...
These were my first pair of cans that I consider my baptism of audiophile stuff. I used them with Fiio E10 as dac and Schiit Asgard as amp. Yes, they sounded good, but not as good as my...
NEW! Bowers & Wilkins P3 in White Unboxing Video & Impressions to come. - Page 2post #16 of 416/24/12 at 12:13pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 416/24/12 at 12:24pmpost #18 of 416/24/12 at 2:54pm
well with the p5s there are headphones like the beyerdynamic dt1350 or hd25 (with cloth pads) that sound better, but I find that I like the p5s better for everyday use because I don't feel I need too carry a portable amp with me too use them. So if I am not out too bring a whole portable reference rig with me the p5s are nice because they are small, practical, and comfy headphones that I can get good sound straight out of my iphone.post #19 of 416/24/12 at 2:57pmpost #20 of 416/28/12 at 3:30pmQuote:
Yeah, that's what I got too. I'm passing on these.post #21 of 416/28/12 at 4:01pmThread Starterpost #22 of 416/28/12 at 4:10pmpost #23 of 417/2/12 at 9:19am
Any changes to your impressions now that they've had a week or so to burn in? It looks like these are readily available most places today, contemplating getting a pair for compare to my V-Moda M80spost #24 of 417/3/12 at 7:47am
So I stopped by Best Buy yesterday and picked up a pair of these, and I'm not impressed. I did some initial listening and then let these burn in for 18 hours. Let me start by saying that I really wanted to like these, they're beautiful and are compact and I really like the design overall, all they needed to do was sound good enough and I'd be sold.
Here are my impressions.
First, the build quality, aesthetics, and comfort on these are all very good. Let's go ahead and get that out of the way now, if all you want is something that looks and feels good then these may be for you. Now on to the sound:
In a word, muffled. After 18 hours or so on continuous playback to break them in the sound really hasn't changed much at all, so I doubt it'll change much going forward either.
First of all, out of the box and un-equalized these are borderline unlistenable. There is NO top end, and I don't mean that like "they're missing that last little bit of sparkle", no I mean no top end. There's lots of upper bass, midrange that is there but overshadowed by the bass and a top end that is virtually non-existant. I don't have the tools to measure them, but if I did I suspect the FR curve would be a line that goes from upper left to lower right with a few weird spikes. If you have music that is excessively bright to the point of unlistenable on other headphones it may work well on these - I do not have any and cannot think of any though and just see how any human with normal hearing could enjoy these unequalized.
No problem, that's why we have equalizers right? Well first off I'm generally opposed to equalization on principle alone, but even moreso on portable devices because of the battery hit. However, to really give these a fair shake and be able to form any coherent opinion other than 'suck' I played around with the EQ settings on the iPhone.
I tried all the options, and the two that sounded the best were bass reducer and treble booster. Treble booster just bumps up the treble while mostly leaving everything else alone, bass reducer drops the bass down a bit which results in the high end popping out a little. Treble booster worked best 90% of the time but for music that was real bassy I went the other way. Even with the EQ engaged though, these still have a very dark sound to them. So with the treble engaged the highs were a bit better, they were at least there but were very thin sounding, but the overall sound of the headphone was still very colored and dark. That upper bass just overshadows the entire midrange and just throws the whole sound way out of balance. I suppose some forms of Rock and maybe electronic music sound ok, but overall the sound is just not good even when equalized.
I also dug out the Zune to get a comparison on another device even though these are engineered to iDevices. The results on the Zune are exactly the same. In fact when playing back the same file the Zune and iPhone sound remarkably similar (I still hate the lack of physical volume buttons on my Zune though).
So in review, not impressedpost #25 of 417/4/12 at 7:34amThread Starterpost #26 of 417/25/12 at 12:00pmpost #27 of 417/25/12 at 12:18pmThread Starterpost #28 of 417/26/12 at 10:26pmQuote:
I am going to pick a pair up within a week and will be trying to come up with homebrew earpads for them.post #29 of 417/26/12 at 10:33pmThread Starter
- NEW! Bowers & Wilkins P3 in White Unboxing Video & Impressions to come.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 seconds ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 9 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 28 seconds ago
- › Social friction is normal 1 minute ago
- › Budget mid centric IEM 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › The ultimate DAP! 512GB storage, 10,000mAh battery, features of... 2 minutes ago
- › Amarra 3.0 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › Audeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphone by Mediahound
- › beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones by Meirelles
- › RHA T20 by ShreyasMax
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3