Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › M-80 / DT1350 - polar opposites?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M-80 / DT1350 - polar opposites?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Does anyone have (or had) both of these headphones?  It seems like the M-80 camp is VERY strongly opinionated about their 'boy', as is the DT1350 about theirs.  I'd like to find someone on neutral ground if they exist?  I just purchased the M-80's, and while I do like them very much, they're a little soft for me.  And from what I read about the DT1350's, they sound like they might be a little too thin for me (lacking bass).  I'd like to get some thoughts on this.  My preferred sig is the Denon Dxxxx series, but for portable use, I don't think so.  Any thoughts or suggestions about these two headphones or maybe even something else that may fit the bill?

post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post

Does anyone have (or had) both of these headphones?  It seems like the M-80 camp is VERY strongly opinionated about their 'boy', as is the DT1350 about theirs.  I'd like to find someone on neutral ground if they exist?  I just purchased the M-80's, and while I do like them very much, they're a little soft for me.  And from what I read about the DT1350's, they sound like they might be a little too thin for me (lacking bass).  I'd like to get some thoughts on this.  My preferred sig is the Denon Dxxxx series, but for portable use, I don't think so.  Any thoughts or suggestions about these two headphones or maybe even something else that may fit the bill?

 

I'm looking to get the 1350s as well, so I've been researching them pretty extensively for a while now.  I've been very tempted by the M80s, but was afraid of exactly what you mentioned...the soft sound.

 

From what I understand that will definitely NOT be an issue with the 1350s.  The issue with the 1350s is that some people believe there are wild fluctuations between different pairs (bad quality control).  If you get a good set, then the bass should be solid and clear, the mids very present (but realistic), and the treble clear but not exaggerated.  On the other hand, if you get a bad set, then the drivers can be badly mismatched and the sound can be just not quite right.  I've certainly never heard them called soft, though.  

 

I don't know if the quality control issues are real or not, but I'm thinking about ordering straight from beyerdynamic to make sure I get a unit from the latest run as opposed to something old from a retail store that might have been returned, etc.  I talked to beyer-usa yesterday and they apparently just got a new batch in from Germany.  It'll cost a few extra dollars this way, but it seems like it's worth a shot.

 

I also considered the Amperiors from Sennheiser, but I find it hard to justify $350 for what appears to be mostly cosmetic upgrades to the hd25-1 ii.  According to Tyll the sound is completely different, but I'm skeptical unless someone confirms that the drivers have been updated, which it doesn't appear that they have been.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks much for your feedback.  I also read those crazy posts about different pairs of 1350's sounding different from pair to pair.  Really?  As much as I respect and appreciate a lot of the 'long-term' head-fi'rs and their knowledge and experience, it's hard for me to believe that quality control can be THAT lacking.  I've worked in manufacturing for many years, I won't get into the average PPM specs for typical products (across the board), but it just seems virtually impossible that that level would actually make it to market - especially for a long period of time.

 

Up until about a year ago, I've always been a "speaker" guy, only in certain circumstances and for short periods of time I would occasionally use headphones, And I was quite happy with my SR60's and PX100's.  Over the past year I've become enamored with headphones and have tried many.  Quickly I learned that I 'primarily' prefer warm over bright, but not to the point of "softness".  I'm a musician, so I need to hear the sharp and crisp distinction of and between instruments.  If the notes don't "ring out" and the drums "snap, crackle and pop", it leaves me wanting.  The M-80's don't have those characteristics. 

 

After all was said and done, I settled on the D7000's as my "staionary" pair.  If money was no object, I'm sure I would have climbed the ladder even further.  Nontheless, other than lacking in mid's, the Denon's have enough sparkle to be very enjoyable.  Now my quest is to find an acceptable portable pair - hence the DT1350 investigation.

 

Please post your thoughts after you get your DT1350's - I'm very curious what you think.  I'm afraid of them being a bit too harsh and thin - lacking in bass for me.  I'm sure the detail and clarity is something I will like very much...the million dollar question is...do they go too far towards irritating...and do they lack a full-bodied (slightly thicker) sound?  Let me know what you think. 

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post

Thanks much for your feedback.  I also read those crazy posts about different pairs of 1350's sounding different from pair to pair.  Really?  As much as I respect and appreciate a lot of the 'long-term' head-fi'rs and their knowledge and experience, it's hard for me to believe that quality control can be THAT lacking.  I've worked in manufacturing for many years, I won't get into the average PPM specs for typical products (across the board), but it just seems virtually impossible that that level would actually make it to market - especially for a long period of time.

 

Up until about a year ago, I've always been a "speaker" guy, only in certain circumstances and for short periods of time I would occasionally use headphones, And I was quite happy with my SR60's and PX100's.  Over the past year I've become enamored with headphones and have tried many.  Quickly I learned that I 'primarily' prefer warm over bright, but not to the point of "softness".  I'm a musician, so I need to hear the sharp and crisp distinction of and between instruments.  If the notes don't "ring out" and the drums "snap, crackle and pop", it leaves me wanting.  The M-80's don't have those characteristics. 

 

After all was said and done, I settled on the D7000's as my "staionary" pair.  If money was no object, I'm sure I would have climbed the ladder even further.  Nontheless, other than lacking in mid's, the Denon's have enough sparkle to be very enjoyable.  Now my quest is to find an acceptable portable pair - hence the DT1350 investigation.

 

Please post your thoughts after you get your DT1350's - I'm very curious what you think.  I'm afraid of them being a bit too harsh and thin - lacking in bass for me.  I'm sure the detail and clarity is something I will like very much...the million dollar question is...do they go too far towards irritating...and do they lack a full-bodied (slightly thicker) sound?  Let me know what you think. 

It sounds like the 1350s will be right up your alley, and I'll definitely post back when I have something more concrete.  It'll be a couple of weeks, though.

 

I have the DT880s for my home use and they are considered to be detailed and bright.  I'm  very curious to try the 1350s which are said to lean towards a warmer sound.  All of my previous headphones have been VERY bright and treble-happy (SR80i, SRH940).  

post #5 of 11

I think you'd prefer the DT1350, too. But they are definitely not a "thick" sound. Yet between the M80 and DT1350, I'd say the DT1350 is closer to a Denon sound. But honestly, you may like the HD25-1ii more. Have you had a chance to listen to them? 

post #6 of 11

What imackler said.  I had the m-80s and ended up with the HD25-1-IIs.  More sparkle on the top end, and really great with rock (and since the OP mentioned it, drums.)  As to the DT1350s, just looking at the frequency charts and from reviews it sounds like they have the same bass extension that the m80s have.  (Seek out Jude's youtube comparing the Senns to the Beyers for another perspective.)

 

The Senns don't have that sub-bass extension (compared to the m80s) but it still comes off beautifully.  Impactful and full where you'd expect it, and not as exaggerated.  A much more natural experience to me.

 

Jeff

post #7 of 11

Own 1350 and briefly tried M80, I feel 1350 is much better.

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

I think you'd prefer the DT1350, too. But they are definitely not a "thick" sound. Yet between the M80 and DT1350, I'd say the DT1350 is closer to a Denon sound. But honestly, you may like the HD25-1ii more. Have you had a chance to listen to them? 

 

Thanks.  I would have tried the HD-25's long ago, except for the fact they are said to be horribly uncomfortable.  Even the glowing reviews I've read about the 'sound' of the HD-25's also talks about their discomfort.  Can you tell me if and how exaggerated those claims are?  I don't want to get hooked on the sound if I can't stand wearing them for more than an hour. 

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post

 

Thanks.  I would have tried the HD-25's long ago, except for the fact they are said to be horribly uncomfortable.  Even the glowing reviews I've read about the 'sound' of the HD-25's also talks about their discomfort.  Can you tell me if and how exaggerated those claims are?  I don't want to get hooked on the sound if I can't stand wearing them for more than an hour. 

 

I find them every bit as uncomfortable as the DT1350 and the M80, but not more so. They really have a lot in common, all being on ears and all being really tight at first, though all are said to be more comfortable as time goes. I think both the HD25 and DT1350 beat the M80 in isolation. Personally, I don't like on ears, but the options for portable over ears are really limited. I think of three, you'd enjoy the HD25 the most. The HD25 is a v-shaped frequency, the M80 rainbow shaped and the DT1350 most neutral. But from what you describe about the Denons, if an on ear is for you, I thinks its the HD25-1ii. 

 

IMO, none of them are really uncomfortable until you get into the second hour of wearing. 

post #10 of 11

You probably read about the discomfort of the HD25 being the very strong clamp, but that is only initially and just like imackler said, it isn't specific to the HD25. They will feel a bit head crushing at first if you decide to get them, but over time they loosen up a lot and even now I'm not finding mine to clamp as much as I would like it to. Also, you do get velour pads with them which feel more comfortable to a lot of people, but if you wash the pleather pads they become pretty comfortable too. 

post #11 of 11
I don't think the m80's fit tight. They are snug though. If i turn my head fast enough, they would shift.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › M-80 / DT1350 - polar opposites?