Besides the O2, and all Meier Corda amps, what other amps have low output impedances?
- productBenchmark - DAC-1 PRE - Preamplifier / DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 6/20/12
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by System, 6/20/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/20/12
- productHeadRoom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMeier Audio Corda Arrietatagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMusical Fidelity V-CAN Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMusical Fidelity V-DAC II Upsampling Digital-to-Analog Converter with Asynchronous USB Inputtagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- It's the same Last post on 7/27/12 at 5:38am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD-3 single-ended vs balanced Last post on 6/20/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me make my disision! Please help a wallet hungry hifier out! Last post on 6/20/12 at 1:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 3/5/14 at 9:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
Full sized amps with low output impedancepost #1 of 426/20/12 at 7:19amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 426/20/12 at 1:40pm
Musical Fidelity has two headphone amps. The budget one is called the V-CAN II ($200) and it has an output impedence of 5 ohms. Musical Fidelity makes a point of highlighting this. The higher-end one is called the M1 HPA (something like $800), it lists 1 ohm as the "source impedence", not sure what this means, but I imagine it's also very low output impedence.
I have the V-CAN II along with Musical Fidelity's V-DAC II ($350), which I'm using to drive the LCD-3. It sounds awesome. However, I have no reference point because I don't have any other desktop amps. So, I'm not at all an authority when it comes to amps.post #3 of 426/20/12 at 1:44pm
Grace Design m903: Headphone output impedance = 1.2 Ohms
Headroom's Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp: Headphone output impedance = .5 - .6 Ohms
Benchmark DAC1 Pre: Headphone output impedance = < .11 Ohmspost #4 of 426/20/12 at 9:05pmpost #5 of 426/21/12 at 4:14amQuote:
Yes, source impedance is another way of saying "output impedance".
here's a fairly low output impedance unit:
Matrix M Stage: 5 ohmspost #6 of 426/21/12 at 5:59amThread StarterI know the fiio portable line has a near zeto output impedance too. I hatr starting yo adk for suggestions so early but for around 250 what would be a good amp for grados and denon headphones?
haha zo2+e9+ Arietta into cash into another solid state, any say?post #7 of 426/21/12 at 9:56am
I think you probably won't do much better than your Arietta for the price. I guess if you wanted better volume control and a worse looking design (and almost the exact same sound) then you could get an O2. It is really difficult to find amps in this price range with a low enough output impedance for Grados, and especially Denons.post #8 of 426/21/12 at 5:51pm
Damn near every solid state amp has a low output impedance. Centrance and the original Burson being the exceptions. Most transformer based tube amps also have a low output impedance in relation to headphone impedance. These aren't 4 ohm speakers after all ;)post #9 of 426/21/12 at 6:37pmThread Starterpost #10 of 426/21/12 at 9:04pmThread Starter
Wow and a tube amp! XD Definitely want to hear one but I don't want to sell any more body organs as of now.Quote:Originally Posted by haejuk
I think you probably won't do much better than your Arietta for the price. I guess if you wanted better volume control and a worse looking design (and almost the exact same sound) then you could get an O2. It is really difficult to find amps in this price range with a low enough output impedance for Grados, and especially Denons.
Have you heard both? I did shortly and I agree with you that they sound about the same. I'm just wondering if I sell it, and sell the E9, and sell the ZO, would I be able to get some improvement. Thanks for the input!
Let's get back to the topic, keep listing guys!
And another question, how do you measure the output impedance?post #11 of 426/21/12 at 9:21pm
You know, plenty of people report Grados and Denons running just fine on high-Z output sources. Damping factor is probably not such a big deal for these headphones which have a pretty flat impedance across frequency (pretty much resistive).
Output a constant tone and take a couple of voltage readings. Cheap multimeters are under $10. You just need two different resistors, or for a little coarser estimate, just a couple different headphones with known impedances at the frequency of the test tone you're using.
V_L = V_s * Z_L / (Z_s + Z_L)
V_L is voltage you measure across the load (resistor or headphones).
V_s is voltage output from the source, unknown.
Z_L is load impedance, which should be known.
Z_s is source output impedance, unknown.
So with two different readings using different loads, you have two different (independent) equations and two unknowns. Solve for Z_s.post #12 of 426/21/12 at 10:02pmThread Starter
I'll give that a try with my DV336 after my exams. Interesting note on the Denon and Grado's FR vs impedance graph. Sounds to me the Arietta is a keeper for my solid state amp.
Is it particular harder to achieve near zero output impedance for a tube design? How about hybrids?post #13 of 426/22/12 at 3:56amQuote:
The Beyer A1 has an output impedance of 100 ohms......rather high.post #14 of 426/22/12 at 4:41ampost #15 of 426/22/12 at 7:12amQuote:
I own both the O2 and the Arietta right now and used to own the E9. I think after the Arietta, you would have to spend much more than $250 to get a decent upgrade that will really make you feel like you got an upgrade. I think Audio-GD makes some decent amps with low output impedance, you might look into that. I haven't ever heard one, but I have considered buying from them.
As for tube amps with low output impedance, they have to be transformer-coupled tube amps. These can get really expensive because the transformers used in the output stage are pretty hard to find and often hand wound. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Tube-hybrid amps with low output impedance, but from my research I found most of them too noisy for the sensitive Denons. Once again, didn't actually hear any of them myself. I also happen to own a Little Dot I+ hybrid amp and it performs quite well with my Denons. It sounds warmer than my SS amps, but other than that I don't really feel it performs as well as O2 and Arietta. I also saw that the maker of the LDI+ claimed it to have 32 ohm output impedance, so not exactly low.
- Full sized amps with low output impedance
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back 43 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 3 minutes ago
- › PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 3 minutes ago
- › K5, FiiO's new docking desktop amp. How do you like it? Update... 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear