Besides the O2, and all Meier Corda amps, what other amps have low output impedances?
- productBenchmark - DAC-1 PRE - Preamplifier / DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 6/20/12
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by System, 6/20/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/20/12
- productHeadRoom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amptagged by System, 6/20/12
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMeier Audio Corda Arrietatagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMusical Fidelity V-CAN Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMusical Fidelity V-DAC II Upsampling Digital-to-Analog Converter with Asynchronous USB Inputtagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- It's the same Last post on 7/27/12 at 5:38am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD-3 single-ended vs balanced Last post on 6/20/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me make my disision! Please help a wallet hungry hifier out! Last post on 6/20/12 at 1:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 3/5/14 at 9:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Equipment to compare. iFi iDSD Black Label AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen Headphones (returned) Meridian Explorer 2 AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic A20 Amp (returned) HiFiMan X...
RHA CL1 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in Apple...
Full sized amps with low output impedancepost #1 of 426/20/12 at 7:19amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 426/20/12 at 1:40pm
Musical Fidelity has two headphone amps. The budget one is called the V-CAN II ($200) and it has an output impedence of 5 ohms. Musical Fidelity makes a point of highlighting this. The higher-end one is called the M1 HPA (something like $800), it lists 1 ohm as the "source impedence", not sure what this means, but I imagine it's also very low output impedence.
I have the V-CAN II along with Musical Fidelity's V-DAC II ($350), which I'm using to drive the LCD-3. It sounds awesome. However, I have no reference point because I don't have any other desktop amps. So, I'm not at all an authority when it comes to amps.post #3 of 426/20/12 at 1:44pm
Grace Design m903: Headphone output impedance = 1.2 Ohms
Headroom's Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp: Headphone output impedance = .5 - .6 Ohms
Benchmark DAC1 Pre: Headphone output impedance = < .11 Ohmspost #4 of 426/20/12 at 9:05pmpost #5 of 426/21/12 at 4:14amQuote:
Yes, source impedance is another way of saying "output impedance".
here's a fairly low output impedance unit:
Matrix M Stage: 5 ohmspost #6 of 426/21/12 at 5:59amThread StarterI know the fiio portable line has a near zeto output impedance too. I hatr starting yo adk for suggestions so early but for around 250 what would be a good amp for grados and denon headphones?
haha zo2+e9+ Arietta into cash into another solid state, any say?post #7 of 426/21/12 at 9:56am
I think you probably won't do much better than your Arietta for the price. I guess if you wanted better volume control and a worse looking design (and almost the exact same sound) then you could get an O2. It is really difficult to find amps in this price range with a low enough output impedance for Grados, and especially Denons.post #8 of 426/21/12 at 5:51pm
Damn near every solid state amp has a low output impedance. Centrance and the original Burson being the exceptions. Most transformer based tube amps also have a low output impedance in relation to headphone impedance. These aren't 4 ohm speakers after all ;)post #9 of 426/21/12 at 6:37pmThread Starterpost #10 of 426/21/12 at 9:04pmThread Starter
Wow and a tube amp! XD Definitely want to hear one but I don't want to sell any more body organs as of now.Quote:Originally Posted by haejuk
I think you probably won't do much better than your Arietta for the price. I guess if you wanted better volume control and a worse looking design (and almost the exact same sound) then you could get an O2. It is really difficult to find amps in this price range with a low enough output impedance for Grados, and especially Denons.
Have you heard both? I did shortly and I agree with you that they sound about the same. I'm just wondering if I sell it, and sell the E9, and sell the ZO, would I be able to get some improvement. Thanks for the input!
Let's get back to the topic, keep listing guys!
And another question, how do you measure the output impedance?post #11 of 426/21/12 at 9:21pm
You know, plenty of people report Grados and Denons running just fine on high-Z output sources. Damping factor is probably not such a big deal for these headphones which have a pretty flat impedance across frequency (pretty much resistive).
Output a constant tone and take a couple of voltage readings. Cheap multimeters are under $10. You just need two different resistors, or for a little coarser estimate, just a couple different headphones with known impedances at the frequency of the test tone you're using.
V_L = V_s * Z_L / (Z_s + Z_L)
V_L is voltage you measure across the load (resistor or headphones).
V_s is voltage output from the source, unknown.
Z_L is load impedance, which should be known.
Z_s is source output impedance, unknown.
So with two different readings using different loads, you have two different (independent) equations and two unknowns. Solve for Z_s.post #12 of 426/21/12 at 10:02pmThread Starter
I'll give that a try with my DV336 after my exams. Interesting note on the Denon and Grado's FR vs impedance graph. Sounds to me the Arietta is a keeper for my solid state amp.
Is it particular harder to achieve near zero output impedance for a tube design? How about hybrids?post #13 of 426/22/12 at 3:56amQuote:
The Beyer A1 has an output impedance of 100 ohms......rather high.post #14 of 426/22/12 at 4:41ampost #15 of 426/22/12 at 7:12amQuote:
I own both the O2 and the Arietta right now and used to own the E9. I think after the Arietta, you would have to spend much more than $250 to get a decent upgrade that will really make you feel like you got an upgrade. I think Audio-GD makes some decent amps with low output impedance, you might look into that. I haven't ever heard one, but I have considered buying from them.
As for tube amps with low output impedance, they have to be transformer-coupled tube amps. These can get really expensive because the transformers used in the output stage are pretty hard to find and often hand wound. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Tube-hybrid amps with low output impedance, but from my research I found most of them too noisy for the sensitive Denons. Once again, didn't actually hear any of them myself. I also happen to own a Little Dot I+ hybrid amp and it performs quite well with my Denons. It sounds warmer than my SS amps, but other than that I don't really feel it performs as well as O2 and Arietta. I also saw that the maker of the LDI+ claimed it to have 32 ohm output impedance, so not exactly low.
- Full sized amps with low output impedance
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 46 seconds ago
- › Starting Point Systems portable NOS DAC 48 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › What is the state of MQA and would it influence your decision to... 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Yu-Gi-Oh Fi 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear