Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LCD-3 single-ended vs balanced
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LCD-3 single-ended vs balanced

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hi, I just got the LCD-3 last week and I've been using it single-ended, with a pretty cheap DAC and AMP [Musical Fidelity's V-DAC II and V-CAN II].  I'm looking to upgrade my amp first, and don't want to spend over $2,000.  I'm finding more single-ended options than balanced in this price range, so I was wondering if anybody has driven the LCD-3 both single-ended and balanced, and if so, if anybody has noticed differences between the two (also, if you could share which amps you've used and liked, that'd be great).

Thanks!

post #2 of 11

Congrats on the LCD-3s.

 

I wouldn't worry balanced vs. single-ended. Here's how I would rank the amps that I've owned and used with the LCD-3s:

 

(Best)

Liquid Fire (single ended)

WA22 (balanced)

GS-1 w/DACT (single ended)

Lyr (Single-ended)

(Least Best)

 

All were actually pretty darn good. For under $500, its hard to recommend a better amp than the Lyr. The new balanced Schiit amp though looks intriguing come to think of it.

 

I'd concentrate on finding a good amp in your price range that can supply them with around 1-2 W (at least) of good clean power (and overly warm amps need not apply IMO).

 

Enjoy!

post #3 of 11

I was going to get WA22 but lot of people preferred Liquid Fire Single ended, I think Macedonian suggested me as well.

I am saving up some money and waiting to Cavalli to make the next batch.

 

And congratulation on your LCD3, envy you :)

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

I was going to get WA22 but lot of people preferred Liquid Fire Single ended, I think Macedonian suggested me as well.

I am saving up some money and waiting to Cavalli to make the next batch.

 

And congratulation on your LCD3, envy you :)


The WA22/LCD-3 is a fantastic combination, but the Liquid Fire (especially with the quad of platinum Siemens tubes) is a cleaner amp and the better way to go IMO.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks, MH!

The Liquid Fire might be outside of my budget, depending on how fiscally irresponsible I wanna be. confused_face.gif

I wonder if Hifiman's EF-6 could drive the LCD-3 well, since it's supposed to be paired with the HE-6... any thoughts?

btw, do you find that warm amps tend to muddy up the sound?

 

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Congrats on the LCD-3s.

 

I wouldn't worry balanced vs. single-ended. Here's how I would rank the amps that I've owned and used with the LCD-3s:

 

(Best)

Liquid Fire (single ended)

WA22 (balanced)

GS-1 w/DACT (single ended)

Lyr (Single-ended)

(Least Best)

 

All were actually pretty darn good. For under $500, its hard to recommend a better amp than the Lyr. The new balanced Schiit amp though looks intriguing come to think of it.

 

I'd concentrate on finding a good amp in your price range that can supply them with around 1-2 W (at least) of good clean power (and overly warm amps need not apply IMO).

 

Enjoy!

 

 
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

I was going to get WA22 but lot of people preferred Liquid Fire Single ended, I think Macedonian suggested me as well.

I am saving up some money and waiting to Cavalli to make the next batch.

 

And congratulation on your LCD3, envy you :)

Thanks!  I had a long-standing envy of everyone who had one, so I eventually got one.  To me, it's worth $2,000.

 
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionramjet View Post

Thanks, MH!

The Liquid Fire might be outside of my budget, depending on how fiscally irresponsible I wanna be. confused_face.gif

I wonder if Hifiman's EF-6 could drive the LCD-3 well, since it's supposed to be paired with the HE-6... any thoughts?

btw, do you find that warm amps tend to muddy up the sound?

 

Thanks again!

 

 


I haven't heard the EF-6s, sorry. With the LCD-3s, I'd strongly recommend a neutral amp.

post #8 of 11

Have you considered the Audio-gd Master 8.

 

The Master-6, the Master 8 is the new version with a gain switch, is stunning with the LCD2.2's.

It also has the advantages of being balanced if thats what you want and more than enough power for ANY headphone including the HE6 if its a possible future purchase!

Its also well within budget and neutral sounding.

The only downside is its a whopper.


Edited by nigeljames - 6/20/12 at 2:11am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


The WA22/LCD-3 is a fantastic combination, but the Liquid Fire (especially with the quad of platinum Siemens tubes) is a cleaner amp and the better way to go IMO.

 

I am jealous :)
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


... Liquid Fire (especially with the quad of platinum Siemens tubes) ....

 

Hey MacedonianHero, just a quick question.

Where do you get the siemen tubes ? ebay ? and which model or tube code do you buy ? EL series ?

Thanks in advance... !
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

 

I am jealous :)

 

Thanks. I'm pretty happy (finally) with my setup and I haven't got the itch in a long time.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

 

Hey MacedonianHero, just a quick question.

Where do you get the siemen tubes ? ebay ? and which model or tube code do you buy ? EL series ?

Thanks in advance... !

 

Right here...great customer service and top quality tubes:

 

http://www.tubemuseum.org/default.asp

 

You're welcome in advance. smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LCD-3 single-ended vs balanced