- 19 Posts. Joined 6/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/19/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/19/12
- productJVC HAFX34B Marshmallow Headphonestagged by System, 6/19/12
- productMonoprice 8320 IEMtagged by System, 6/19/12
- productPhilips SHE3580/28 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/19/12
- productSoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red)tagged by System, 6/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best IEM under $20? Last post on 6/17/13 at 9:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for earphones $20 or lower... Last post on 8/17/12 at 7:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Good IEMs under $30? Last post on 8/17/12 at 8:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Budget IEM Battle (under $40) Last post on 7/20/12 at 10:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE!... Last post on 6/30/13 at 3:44pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
JVC marshmallow vs Monoprice 8320 vs Philips 3580 vs Soundmagic ES18 vs Panasonic RP-JJE120E-Kpost #1 of 306/19/12 at 12:36amThread StarterI am quite confused over which phone to buy after reading so many reviews; thats why I am posting a thread here. Joker had stated that Monoprice 8320 was the bang for the buck but currently my local store is short of supply for the model. So should I wait for the monoprice? Also, when compared to the monoprice do the other headphones espically the jvc marshmallow and the soundmagic es18 stand anywhere? I am in search for a phone that sounds clear in the mids as well as has good lows and highs. Not much of a bass fan though but neither do I want to neglect it. Please share your views?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 306/19/12 at 1:45ampost #3 of 306/19/12 at 3:56amThread Starterpost #4 of 306/19/12 at 4:01amQuote:
They are excellent, a diamond in the rough, it may be hype, but its true hype. If you need something to get you by until you can get some, get the SHE3580s.post #5 of 306/19/12 at 4:22amThread StarterActually all these headphones are very cheap...I won't mind buying one pair for now. Have you tried the marshmallow or soundmagic es18 'coz I think that Marshmallows are more famous than the Philips. Whats your opinion some1?post #6 of 306/19/12 at 5:27amQuote:
Well i only know the 8320's, but the SHE3580 has good rep, but i think they are also cheaper than the others, but i could be wrong, to be honest though at these prices, why not buy whichever pair you fancy, its not like a huge expense or loss if you do not like them.post #7 of 306/19/12 at 8:00pmThread StarterQuote:Thanks for the help.....post #8 of 306/20/12 at 8:59amQuote:
Is there any difference between SHE3580s and SHE3580?
Just want to buy two from ebay.de for €13.98.
thankspost #9 of 306/20/12 at 11:42ampost #10 of 306/20/12 at 12:53pm
Skip the Marshmallows. If you want a good cheap JVC IEM, then get the Riptidz. In the US it is around $7. If you are willing to spend a bit more, the Panasonic RP-HJE355 and JVC HA-FX40 are both very nice. They are around $20 each in the US. The Panasonic HJE120 is very lacking in bass and has a bit of audible distortion. It is also very low in sensitivity(96 db/mw) The JVC Riptidz is so much better than the HJE120.post #11 of 306/20/12 at 8:23pmThread StarterI bought Philips SHE3580. Not bad for the price but not great either. I already have Brainwavz Beta and M1 in my collection so was trying to explore these more cheaper phones. Quality of Philips is nice but not much when compared to the above 2 phones.post #12 of 307/21/12 at 2:40pmIn advance I apologize for this rant. Still I think it's impressive to type this much on an iPhone. Imho the She3570/80/90 (supposedly the same driver and design) needs some getting used to. Haven't reached 100+ hours on mine but they're detailed and crisp. To start from the bottom the bass is incredibly extended only rolling off below 30Hz and without midbass boost. Not bloated at all. Decent in speed and with just riddiculous sense of impact. They sound like a lower quality GR07 on steroids just lacking in texture and that lovely organic feel that makes drums sound... like drums. The bass is not like most bass enhanced phones because it appears to be linear rather than midbass boosted.
The midrange can feel hollow but that's also a matter of taste, the emphasis is on higher midrange rather than lower, making them sound a bit hollow and cold but still detailed and enjoyable. To my ears they carry some energy in the upper range but distorted guitars sound somewhat edgy and they lack in body compared to something like GR07. Still with good details (keep in mind they're basically worth what you munch on an evening with two movies).
What makes these phones unique imo is the extended treble. They too carry a good deal of details and have sparkle enough for most people except treble heads. There is some sibilance in the upper mid/lower treble range that's revealed by running a few frequency sweeps or listening to sibilant records, still a lot less than my Akg K271 mkII (might be resonance in my ears due to the circumaural design). That should be the cause of some details getting lost to some harshness.
Soundstage and separation are two things I'm not very good at describing but the soundstage is well on par with average iems and separation is good for budget iems.
That's me just reporting what I hear. Comparing to what I know. Comparing them to Beats by Dre Tours (bought cheap used), Heartbeats by Lady Gaga (bought on sale), Bose IE (sale), Meelec M9, Metro fi170, iBuds or other generic iems/earbuds they simply sound a lot more refined. I can appreciate a lot of different signatures so no immediate bias here. But coming from these other phones none of them offer detail threatening that of the Philips'. The bass is deep and refined at the price point and beyond. Like a miniature GR07 that tries a bit too hard. The only harshness, after some listening, is the upper mid/lower treble where some spikes are present.
The overall presentation is bright with a great bass response at the bottom. Sorry for the rant, I just like these phones. Might be of some value that I haven't heard of the others, I can only vouch for the Philips. And oh how I vouch. They're awesome after realising what they are.post #13 of 307/21/12 at 2:44pmBtw, if anything I wrote feels way out of line or completely rubbish, please do tell me. I'm pretty new to this and haven't gotten my thumbs out to do any proper review. Just formulating a few in my mind. I'm by no means an audiophile, just an enthusiast with some kind addiction to put things in my ears.post #14 of 307/21/12 at 4:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoonYeol
Btw, if anything I wrote feels way out of line or completely rubbish, please do tell me. I'm pretty new to this and haven't gotten my thumbs out to do any proper review. Just formulating a few in my mind. I'm by no means an audiophile, just an enthusiast with some kind addiction to put things in my ears.
Welcome to the Club...
Take 2 IEMs before going to bed, and you should feel well enough in the morning to go shopping for more.
Just Joking, Jimpost #15 of 307/21/12 at 10:58pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JVC marshmallow vs Monoprice 8320 vs Philips 3580 vs Soundmagic ES18 vs Panasonic RP-JJE120E-K
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Wtb: idsd micro/alo dual mono or other transportable dac/amp for... 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all... 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Ie800 4 minutes ago
- › New - Cowon Plenue S 4 minutes ago
- › [AAW A3H-Pro Review] The CIEM rabbit hole just got a little bigger. 6 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › The Best Headphones To Plug Directly Into Your Smart Phone. No DAC,... 7 minutes ago
- › Best android music player app? 7 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 10 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...