Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › 2nd Gen Ipod touch (broken headphone jack) - LOD only solution?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2nd Gen Ipod touch (broken headphone jack) - LOD only solution?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

So now the left channel for Ipod Touch will intermittently go out. This is the 2nd time, my 2nd Ipod.

I do not want to brick another ipod! ...I gave my mom the first one.... she only EVER listens to music in one ear.... she's paranoid and likes to hear her surroundings on the train :P. Doubt she needs a 2nd one..

 

Some people recommended I go the LOD route, something like the Fiio E1:

http://fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=14&MenuID=020301

 

This will bypass the headphone jack... but also add about 1 meter of cable... making the whole ipod less portable. I'm using Ety HF2's , and Audiotechnica M50's, so I never really had the need for an amplifier.

 

I have searched, and really only found the E1 to fit the bill... other than getting the jack repaired... I don't even know where I would go to do that- I'm in Germany. And I don't speak German.

 

Do you guys know of any "smaller" LOD's that I can plug my headphones directly into? Will this make it so that I can't control the volume? If so... is the E1 my only option?

 

Or would you guys get it sent out to get repaired?

 

What would you guys do?

 

Thanks all...

post #2 of 20

Just check with apple how much it costs to repair. Choose between that and the Fiio. I don't think there's any other option.

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 

Well, Apple would be the last place I'd go for a repair, because they are a supreme ripoff, I'm better off buying a new ipod than doing that....

 

I came across this thing too: http://www.srslabs.com/store/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=43

 

Its smaller, I'd say the perfect size, but 30 bucks more.

 

Anyone have any experience with either the e1, or the iWow3d? Or something similar, that could help me in this situation? Thanks all!!
 

post #4 of 20

there are really countless LOD's out there.  though most of them terminate in a male 1/8 adapter.
 

post #5 of 20

the problem is that you'll no longer have an amplified signal or volumn control

post #6 of 20

A used iBasso T3 or something would slip onto the back of a touch very easily, and cheaply (in comparison), though when you factor in the cost of even a cheap LOD/cable, PLUS an amp, you are looking possibly at up to 150$. The overall performance that way should exceed in some metrics the touch by itself, but it won't completely be better in every area. iBasso T3/D. Wonderful performance.

post #7 of 20

It's kinda hard to take an iPod touch apart. I've tried with bad results.  However I do fix and have fixed countless iPhones from 3G to 3GS to 4 and 4S as well. They are easy and jacks are easy as heck! But... yeah

 

The E1 is probably the easiest choice.

 

Do this first though, take a flashlight and shine it into the headphone jack of your iPod..can you see metal and or plastic...... if you see cotton or gunk or dust bunny stuff..take a toothpic or something AND CLEAR it out! That caused my left channel to cut out before as well!

post #8 of 20

I was going to say: well done, then I looked at your post count, then I looked at your join date. Now I'm just going to say: you are the most active headfier I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

It's kinda hard to take an iPod touch apart. I've tried with bad results.  However I do fix and have fixed countless iPhones from 3G to 3GS to 4 and 4S as well. They are easy and jacks are easy as heck! But... yeah

 

The E1 is probably the easiest choice.

 

Do this first though, take a flashlight and shine it into the headphone jack of your iPod..can you see metal and or plastic...... if you see cotton or gunk or dust bunny stuff..take a toothpic or something AND CLEAR it out! That caused my left channel to cut out before as well!

post #9 of 20

And look at mine... I might grab that most inactive member award...

post #10 of 20
I think insidious meme grabs it smily_headphones1.gif
post #11 of 20

Looking around the iBasso website, i found this: 

 

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=38

 

thats probably the perfect product for you, there isn't even a cable involved. 

probably going to order one for myself as my itouch's 3.5mm jack is also broken.

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz115 View Post

Looking around the iBasso website, i found this: 

 

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=38

 

thats probably the perfect product for you, there isn't even a cable involved. 

probably going to order one for myself as my itouch's 3.5mm jack is also broken.

He wants minimal

  1. That is larger than FiiO's LOD and for more expensive higher up purposes for people that can't DIY their own
  2. You need to buy your own cable
  3. You need an amp
  4. More expensive
  5. Cost doesn't include shipping

 

If anyone has been following my posts, please realize... I do not and am not a fan boy bandwagon of FiiO's. The threads were largely sub $100 DAC's and very cheap easy to use devices and cables. FiiO is really the only way. They are cheap and they are international and easy to buy and fit many people's needs.


Edited by bowei006 - 7/11/12 at 6:39pm
post #13 of 20
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/614636
 

That was quite creepy....

post #15 of 20

Totally off topic, but I've seen 26 or so posts from 2004. Really, I want to be that man, but know it won't work as I'm sure I fall into the 'active' or 'annoying' category for a number of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palestofwhite View Post

And look at mine... I might grab that most inactive member award...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › 2nd Gen Ipod touch (broken headphone jack) - LOD only solution?