Want to get a nice amp for my HD650. I'm looking at the Woo Audio WA6-SE or WA2. Which will be better for the HD 650? I am also going to use this amp for future headphone purchase (either the LCD-2 or LCD-3). Thanks.
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 6/20/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/20/12
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite Last post on Today at 6:48 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- how much money it will cost a high end headphoens Last post on 3/26/13 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Woo Audio WA6/WA3 or Burson HA-160 for HD650??? Last post on 5/11/14 at 8:36am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Have had these for a loooong time. Now that I've got older ears, I don't really hear the beautiful crystal-like treble anymore, but I'm sure it's still there. :)
Recommend a Woo amp for HD650post #1 of 136/16/12 at 10:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 136/17/12 at 3:47ampost #3 of 136/17/12 at 1:16pmQuote:
Frankly, you wouldn't have many options able to suit both the HD650 and Audeze drives. Such low impedance of LCD-2/3 requires very high electric current in design and components. While most of tube headamp support not lower than 30 ohms, so I suggest you have to consider for a separate amp for LCD-2/3 instead.
If just talking about HD650, both WA models are good options. Personally, I prefer the WA2.post #4 of 136/17/12 at 7:14pmThread Starterpost #5 of 136/17/12 at 7:34pm
I have the WA6SE and the HD600 (which is close to your 650's). I find it to be a very good match. I have also talked to many other Woo owners who are driving the LCD 2/3 off of the WA6SE with no problems....post #6 of 136/18/12 at 5:35amThread StarterQuote:
I also read about LCD-2/3 are good matches with the WA6-SE and you confirm that its a match with the HD600.
I asked about the WA2 since reviews says that it has a warmer sound which I prefer and both amps are in the same price range.
I only have the HD650 now but am hoping to add the LCD-2/3 in the future when funds allow. I don't want to buy separate amps.post #7 of 136/18/12 at 7:06amWired, if you want send a PM to Dubstep Girl. She owns both a WA6SE as well as a WA2 and a ton of headphones (including the LCD 2). I'm pretty sure she will tell you (like she told me) that the WA 2 is underpowered with the LCD but the WA6SE powers them fine.post #8 of 136/18/12 at 3:19pmThread Starter
Thanks. I'm sure she'll tell me the same thing. I think I may be better off looking at other amps. Perhaps the Lyr or the new Burson Soloist.post #9 of 136/18/12 at 4:06pm
The WA6 SEm is... superb... with the Senns... as well as... most other phones - which is why I got it!
The WA3 / WA2 (OTL amps) are great with them also... but... not as good with low impedance phones as the WA6 SEm is - the benefit of a TC amp.post #10 of 136/18/12 at 5:12pmpost #11 of 136/18/12 at 7:15pmQuote:
I think its just as good as any SS combo. MH loved them with the WA22 and plenty of people use tubes with LCD-2/3.Quote:
+1, OTL will be good for high-impedance and generally not recommended for low impedance. The WA2 works well with all beyers, senn hd 800, and the HD 650s (with the right tubes).
the HD 650s sounded quite nice with the WA6-SE, really shows how the HD 650s scale up depending on the amp. the highs are more present, the veil, if there ever was any, becomes non-existant, and the soundstage opens up, since the WA6-SE has a wider soundstage than the WA2. also, the "dullness" that some people find in the HD-650 kinda goes away. it just becomes a completely different sounding headphone. on the WA2, i found that it was a little too dark sounding. it certainly still sounded good, but i felt that it became a little slower and lost some detail. the WA2 is better paired with brighter headphones like HD 800 or any of the beyers.Quote:
yup. WA2 might not power the LCD-2s well depending on your setup, also it will lack some of the dynamics and produce a thicker sound due to its warm nature.
The WA6-SE is great with LCD-2 and HD650s though, more than enough power, good dynamics and clear sound with just a hint of warmth that SS amps don't have. the WA6-SE is one of those few amps that works quite well with just about any headphone.Quote:
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 6/18/12 at 7:20pmpost #12 of 136/19/12 at 5:35amQuote:
If I remeber correctly, MH sold his WA22 for LF. I'm not saying tube is bad combo for LCD-2/3 but certainly there are better options out there. I think Musicman prefer the LF over his WA5, and to me IMHO, I prefer beta22 over WA22 with LCD-2.post #13 of 136/19/12 at 10:27am
LCD2 and HD650 share a smooth top end, meaning they are no bright headphones. So a SS amp is certainly possible, but if you want tube goodness, HD650 is really good being high impedance. What you have to know is an OTL (output transformerless) amp rely on output capacitors, while a transfomer coupled amp is well... transformer coupled.
In most design the OTL amp has low value output caps, meaning that it will cut off the bass response due the high filter a capacitor represent with low impedance cans.
But increasing the capacitance value lower the cutoff freq. Here is a calculator I used to upgrade my lafigaro 339 (which is OTL):
In my case I could have upgrade the capacitance with electrolytic caps in order to use low impedance HP, but I went optimizing the value to 260µF per channel (stock was 130µF) for my HD650 with film capacitor (MKP).
One could easily replace the stock capacitors with four 1000µF electrolytics and you would have the OTL goodness with your low impedance cans.
So if you would embark the DIY way, you could upgrade the output caps of a WA2 and use a LCD2!
Edited by telecaster - 6/19/12 at 10:50am
- Recommend a Woo amp for HD650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
- › Three Word Story 59 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 1 minute ago
- › Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 6 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 7 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD X (Complete w/ both cables, hard travel case) -... 7 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...