Want to get a nice amp for my HD650. I'm looking at the Woo Audio WA6-SE or WA2. Which will be better for the HD 650? I am also going to use this amp for future headphone purchase (either the LCD-2 or LCD-3). Thanks.
- productAMB Labs Beta22tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/20/12
- productAudeze LCD3 Planar Magnetic Headphonetagged by System, 6/20/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/20/12
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite Last post on Yesterday at 8:48 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- how much money it will cost a high end headphoens Last post on 3/26/13 at 10:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Woo Audio WA6/WA3 or Burson HA-160 for HD650??? Last post on 5/11/14 at 8:36am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 6/29/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/30/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Introduction: CustomArt is a relatively new custom IEM company that has very quickly grew into one of the big names in business. Hailing from Poland, the company has a well-respected line of...
I made a video review of the dt770 80ohm quite sometime ago and was finally finished it. I got them on sale at Guitar Center for $179.99 , the deal was better than anywhere on the web so I...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Westone for providing me with review sample in exchange for my honest opinion....
An early welcome greeted me when I arrived in Los Angeles for the 2015 CanJam SoCal meet: A new pair of MrSpeakers headphones. Dan Clark, having spent many years modifying the inexpensive...
This will be more of my impressions/comparisons and less of a review. I will be comparing them to the HD800 & K712 Pro ran over USB to the Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp (HD800 - Low Gain, K12 - Low Gain,...
Recommend a Woo amp for HD650post #1 of 136/16/12 at 10:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 136/17/12 at 3:47ampost #3 of 136/17/12 at 1:16pmQuote:
Frankly, you wouldn't have many options able to suit both the HD650 and Audeze drives. Such low impedance of LCD-2/3 requires very high electric current in design and components. While most of tube headamp support not lower than 30 ohms, so I suggest you have to consider for a separate amp for LCD-2/3 instead.
If just talking about HD650, both WA models are good options. Personally, I prefer the WA2.post #4 of 136/17/12 at 7:14pmThread Starterpost #5 of 136/17/12 at 7:34pm
I have the WA6SE and the HD600 (which is close to your 650's). I find it to be a very good match. I have also talked to many other Woo owners who are driving the LCD 2/3 off of the WA6SE with no problems....post #6 of 136/18/12 at 5:35amThread StarterQuote:
I also read about LCD-2/3 are good matches with the WA6-SE and you confirm that its a match with the HD600.
I asked about the WA2 since reviews says that it has a warmer sound which I prefer and both amps are in the same price range.
I only have the HD650 now but am hoping to add the LCD-2/3 in the future when funds allow. I don't want to buy separate amps.post #7 of 136/18/12 at 7:06amWired, if you want send a PM to Dubstep Girl. She owns both a WA6SE as well as a WA2 and a ton of headphones (including the LCD 2). I'm pretty sure she will tell you (like she told me) that the WA 2 is underpowered with the LCD but the WA6SE powers them fine.post #8 of 136/18/12 at 3:19pmThread Starter
Thanks. I'm sure she'll tell me the same thing. I think I may be better off looking at other amps. Perhaps the Lyr or the new Burson Soloist.post #9 of 136/18/12 at 4:06pm
The WA6 SEm is... superb... with the Senns... as well as... most other phones - which is why I got it!
The WA3 / WA2 (OTL amps) are great with them also... but... not as good with low impedance phones as the WA6 SEm is - the benefit of a TC amp.post #10 of 136/18/12 at 5:12pmpost #11 of 136/18/12 at 7:15pmQuote:
I think its just as good as any SS combo. MH loved them with the WA22 and plenty of people use tubes with LCD-2/3.Quote:
+1, OTL will be good for high-impedance and generally not recommended for low impedance. The WA2 works well with all beyers, senn hd 800, and the HD 650s (with the right tubes).
the HD 650s sounded quite nice with the WA6-SE, really shows how the HD 650s scale up depending on the amp. the highs are more present, the veil, if there ever was any, becomes non-existant, and the soundstage opens up, since the WA6-SE has a wider soundstage than the WA2. also, the "dullness" that some people find in the HD-650 kinda goes away. it just becomes a completely different sounding headphone. on the WA2, i found that it was a little too dark sounding. it certainly still sounded good, but i felt that it became a little slower and lost some detail. the WA2 is better paired with brighter headphones like HD 800 or any of the beyers.Quote:
yup. WA2 might not power the LCD-2s well depending on your setup, also it will lack some of the dynamics and produce a thicker sound due to its warm nature.
The WA6-SE is great with LCD-2 and HD650s though, more than enough power, good dynamics and clear sound with just a hint of warmth that SS amps don't have. the WA6-SE is one of those few amps that works quite well with just about any headphone.Quote:
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 6/18/12 at 7:20pmpost #12 of 136/19/12 at 5:35amQuote:
If I remeber correctly, MH sold his WA22 for LF. I'm not saying tube is bad combo for LCD-2/3 but certainly there are better options out there. I think Musicman prefer the LF over his WA5, and to me IMHO, I prefer beta22 over WA22 with LCD-2.post #13 of 136/19/12 at 10:27am
LCD2 and HD650 share a smooth top end, meaning they are no bright headphones. So a SS amp is certainly possible, but if you want tube goodness, HD650 is really good being high impedance. What you have to know is an OTL (output transformerless) amp rely on output capacitors, while a transfomer coupled amp is well... transformer coupled.
In most design the OTL amp has low value output caps, meaning that it will cut off the bass response due the high filter a capacitor represent with low impedance cans.
But increasing the capacitance value lower the cutoff freq. Here is a calculator I used to upgrade my lafigaro 339 (which is OTL):
In my case I could have upgrade the capacitance with electrolytic caps in order to use low impedance HP, but I went optimizing the value to 260µF per channel (stock was 130µF) for my HD650 with film capacitor (MKP).
One could easily replace the stock capacitors with four 1000µF electrolytics and you would have the OTL goodness with your low impedance cans.
So if you would embark the DIY way, you could upgrade the output caps of a WA2 and use a LCD2!
Edited by telecaster - 6/19/12 at 10:50am
- Recommend a Woo amp for HD650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Denon AH-GC20 Headphone Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 6 minutes ago
- › Music Streamer app for iOS (streams Flac from network)--any... 7 minutes ago
- › Best headphones FOR ME for less than 200$? 9 minutes ago
- › Customs that sounds like the Sennheiser IE800 10 minutes ago
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by cloud_c
- › PreSonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo... by audionut44
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by RedTwilight
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)