Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphone for around $300
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Headphone for around $300

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

I will spend around $300 on headphone. 

 

I use my Dell laptop to play the music.

 

Music genre I always listen to: Post-Hardcore, Metalcore, Deathcore, Dubstep, Rap, Alternative Rock

 

Therefore, I'm looking for a headphone which is bassy and good performance on guitar.

 

I looked into Denon D2000, ATH-PRO700MK2 and Focal Spirit One. They are easy to drive and suitable for home usage.

 

Are you guys have any other recommendation?

 

PS: It's OKAY to buy a USB DAC+AMP in the future.

post #2 of 24

Beyerdynamic DT880 32Ohm

Grado SR325is

Philips Fidelio L1

Sony MA900

Shure SRH940

 

Heard the Grado and Philips and they sound nice. Haven't heard the MA900 yet but people have said it has a lot of bass for an open can. The Shure is closed. Every one of those headphones should be easy to drive.


Edited by colgatetotal - 6/16/12 at 10:48am
post #3 of 24

From your list I'd take the d2k. But you might consider putting $80 with your budget and getting the d5k.

 

gL!!

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

From your list I'd take the d2k. But you might consider putting $80 with your budget and getting the d5k.

 

gL!!


+1 on that, plus i can only add that you will never look back if streatch yor budget a little bit to get D5000

post #5 of 24

The Philips Fideleo L1, Denon D2000, Ultrasone Pro900, DT990 are recommended and they will improve with extra Amplification.

post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colgatetotal View Post

Beyerdynamic DT880 32Ohm

Grado SR325is

Philips Fidelio L1

Sony MA900

Shure SRH940

 

Heard the Grado and Philips and they sound nice. Haven't heard the MA900 yet but people have said it has a lot of bass for an open can. The Shure is closed. Every one of those headphones should be easy to drive.

 

Thanks colgatetoal!

However someone said that SRH9400 is not bassy, it's a "natural" headphone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

From your list I'd take the d2k. But you might consider putting $80 with your budget and getting the d5k.

 

gL!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


+1 on that, plus i can only add that you will never look back if streatch yor budget a little bit to get D5000

 

Thanks MattTCG and oleausany

Is D5000 hard to drive?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARIM View Post

The Philips Fideleo L1, Denon D2000, Ultrasone Pro900, DT990 are recommended and they will improve with extra Amplification.

 

Thanks ZARIM.

 

 

Currently Considering List:

 

Denon D2000 (Have the best bass in the list)

Grado SR325is (AFAIK, best headphone for rock music. The bass is tight but not deep.)

Philips Fidelio L1 (Some people said it's easy to drive, some people said it isn't)

Sony MA900 (The characteristic is similiar to D2000, but the bass is less deeper than D2000.)

Shure SRH940 (someone said it is not bassy.)

Ultrasone Pro900 (no idea)

Beyerdynamic DT880 32Ohm (no idea)

Beyerdynamic DT990 (no idea)

 

post #7 of 24

+1  d2000,  under 300 + fiio  

post #8 of 24

The denon series is very easy to drive...

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

The denon series is very easy to drive...

Seriously. I have my Denons on iPod duty and they sound great.

post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

The denon series is very easy to drive...


And D5000 have deep punchy tight well controlled bass that's why I'm recommending to stretch your budget and get them while still possible I'm enjoying different types of rock and metal with them. DT990 have very bright highs that's why i sold them.

PRO900 have a lot of bass but because of use of proprietary technology have unique signature which some people like and others hate

post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2299 View Post

+1  d2000,  under 300 + fiio  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

The denon series is very easy to drive...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki View Post

Seriously. I have my Denons on iPod duty and they sound great.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


And D5000 have deep punchy tight well controlled bass that's why I'm recommending to stretch your budget and get them while still possible I'm enjoying different types of rock and metal with them. DT990 have very bright highs that's why i sold them.

PRO900 have a lot of bass but because of use of proprietary technology have unique signature which some people like and others hate

 

Thanks Bob, Matt, Sanji, Olegausany!

I will go to the store to try D2000 and D5000.

post #12 of 24

Get the D2000 and get an amp.  Don't get sucked into "the law of diminishing returns".  The D2000 sound great.  I owned a pair of D7000's which are TRULY great headphones, as I'm sure the D5000 are, but I quickly learned that the D2000 and an extra $500 in my pocket trumps the D7000 with empty pockets.

post #13 of 24
I would recommend the HFI-2400s. Very underrated headphone IMO.
post #14 of 24

I would also recommend the D2000. I have the D5000 and they sounded OK when I tried them in my desktop computer at work (on-board sound card), it should be the same with the D2000.

 

Its also possible to mod the D2000 when/if you get a DAC/amp if you want more hifi kind of sound :)

 

// ChriG

post #15 of 24

One more +1 on the D2000. In my view they do very well on the music listed, and they do it quite well unamped as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphone for around $300