- 13,344 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Location: Fremont, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCavalli Audiotagged by System, 6/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- ☯️ Cavalli Audio presents The Source AV’s Summer Series 2016 Last post on 7/19/16 at 6:23pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Ray Samuels Dark Star vs Cavalli Liquid Gold Last post on 5/8/16 at 1:41am in High-end Audio Forum
- ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! Last post on 7/12/16 at 10:35pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The Liquid Carbon Upgrade Guide & Impressions Tour Last post on 6/12/16 at 5:01pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The New CavalliAudio.com is now open! Last post on 3/23/16 at 9:14pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 11/30/15
If you are looking at the RHA-MA750, you already have done a bit of research about how they sound. So, I will get straight to my review. Sound Quality: Let me start off by saying that these...
Acknowledgment Thanks to @Tony-Hifi of HiFi headphones for making me review this desktop DAC/Amp as a favour. I love reviewing loaners, but it’s always sad to package and send them off...
Hi Head-Fi/Vibro Labs fans, I was the second stop on the Aria tour, and I've had a great week reviewing them. This post will contain some of my thoughts and impressions, and I'll be touching on...
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning - Page 13
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'm looking at a few models 'above' his though. His CD-1 is quite old.
I know this is no trade forum, but how much do you plan to ask for you Cambridge?
Just got my LL and I'm really enjoying it so far with my 009s. I haven't heard the 009s with any other amps, but this setup is revealing across the board--though subtle--improvements over my LCD-3/LF combo. The most noticeable improvements are an increase in clarity, a more expansive and 3-D soundstage, and a seemingly much wider dynamic range (i.e., the contrast between softer and louder passages in music). Whereas the LCD-3's tonal balance may have been tilted to the darker side of neutral, the 009's tonal balance seems to slant towards the brighter side of neutral, to the point where I'm experiencing a vague sense of fatigue during long listening sessions (and I don't consider myself to have treble-sensitive hearing at all).
With the 009s, I feel the power of crescendos more viscerally than I ever did with the LCD-3s, to the point where I often find myself fumbling for the remote to my PWD so I can tone the volume down. This increase in perceived dynamics may be due, in part, to the 009's slightly bright nature, which might be making the higher frequencies pop out a bit more at louder recorded volumes.
As was the case with the LF, I'm not able to turn the volume dial on my LL very much before it gets too loud. I'm using the balanced output of my PWD, which, granted, seems to have a high output level. However, if I set the PWD to 60 volume (which is PS Audio's minimum-recommended level to avoid loss of resolution), I can only set the LL at a few very slight turns above 0 for most of my computer audio collection.
Is this extremely low volume level limiting the extent to which the LL can produce dynamics or resolution, or am I just being paranoid? Am I better off using the LL's single-ended inputs to lower the gain and get a wider volume range?
I didn't experience that at all, including with balanced connection at 4.6Vrms. This says a lot about the way your music has been mastered - it's most likely very compressed. If you're worried about being able to get those dynamics, I'd look around for better releases (if they exist.) The other option would be to see if Alex can adjust the gain, but it's really not worth it.
dj, I can't speak to your exact situation, but I have PW DAC2 and Transport. With my LLs and 009s and off the shelf CDs, I have lots of rotation on the vol pot even if I put the DAC higher than recommended.
Using the SE inputs will reduce the LL's gain, but I prefer the balanced inputs for almost all situations.
Radiohead's thoughts are probably more relevant than mine though. :)
Well, my source is computer audio from USB, mostly ripped from CDs (I don't have a high-quality CD player). And while I do get more volume range with recordings that are well-produced*, even on the stuff with the most dynamic range I'm still not able to go very far up on either the PWD or the LL.
I guess it's a combination of the baseline recorded volume level of my audio files, the high output of the PWD and the LL, and the relatively sensitive 009. It's not a big deal, since the end result still sounds great, but I was just wondering if there are any potential drawbacks to having to set the LL on such a low volume?
*I'm referring to stuff by the usual suspects: MA Recordings, Stockfisch, Living Stereo, Analogue Productions, Chesky, etc.
I've been fascinated reading these threads . . . so many mysteries (why is sridhar3 & others get banned? . . . why did Mwilson sell his SR009/LL? . . . how can Erico possibly afford all those stats? . . . LOL . . .) . . . . so much anticipation . . . will I fall in love with the LL / 009 if and when I get one? . . .
Anyway, I think I'm subscribed for the April LL release . . . I wonder how classical music will sound on this?
Ha. Lots of good questions. I didn't know that sridhar3 was banned. When did that happen? Who else is banned? Mwilson has explained why he sold his stat rig though and Erico, well I don't know...
Well, maybe I'm wrong about sridhar3 since it says he was online a minute ago, but it says 'banned' where others have 'industry Insider', or 'head fI'er'. Hopefully not true !! But you do see the intrigue here?
Maybe he was banned at the request of his significant other (the other half of his split personality) after spending way too much on gear the last year. Mwilson sold his LL/009 because the afterlife needs to be better than this one, and Erico... well, I'd tell you about his business but I'm not sure I'd be alive the next day.
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Grado Fan Club! 18 seconds ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 41 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 2 minutes ago
- › PHONON SMB-02 - HOLY GRAIL 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 2 minutes ago
- › Tea-Fi? 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 3 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 4 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...