- 13,332 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Location: Hipster Haven of the South (Austin, Texas)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCavalli Audiotagged by System, 6/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 3/4/14 at 7:57am in High-end Audio Forum
- MADE IN THE USA - Any advise Last post on 4/2/13 at 12:57pm in High-end Audio Forum
- New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release Last post on 2/27/14 at 3:01pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Fire Last post on 6/12/13 at 5:04am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - New Headfi Sponsor Last post on 7/25/12 at 4:24pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning - Page 13
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'm looking at a few models 'above' his though. His CD-1 is quite old.
I know this is no trade forum, but how much do you plan to ask for you Cambridge?
Just got my LL and I'm really enjoying it so far with my 009s. I haven't heard the 009s with any other amps, but this setup is revealing across the board--though subtle--improvements over my LCD-3/LF combo. The most noticeable improvements are an increase in clarity, a more expansive and 3-D soundstage, and a seemingly much wider dynamic range (i.e., the contrast between softer and louder passages in music). Whereas the LCD-3's tonal balance may have been tilted to the darker side of neutral, the 009's tonal balance seems to slant towards the brighter side of neutral, to the point where I'm experiencing a vague sense of fatigue during long listening sessions (and I don't consider myself to have treble-sensitive hearing at all).
With the 009s, I feel the power of crescendos more viscerally than I ever did with the LCD-3s, to the point where I often find myself fumbling for the remote to my PWD so I can tone the volume down. This increase in perceived dynamics may be due, in part, to the 009's slightly bright nature, which might be making the higher frequencies pop out a bit more at louder recorded volumes.
As was the case with the LF, I'm not able to turn the volume dial on my LL very much before it gets too loud. I'm using the balanced output of my PWD, which, granted, seems to have a high output level. However, if I set the PWD to 60 volume (which is PS Audio's minimum-recommended level to avoid loss of resolution), I can only set the LL at a few very slight turns above 0 for most of my computer audio collection.
Is this extremely low volume level limiting the extent to which the LL can produce dynamics or resolution, or am I just being paranoid? Am I better off using the LL's single-ended inputs to lower the gain and get a wider volume range?
I didn't experience that at all, including with balanced connection at 4.6Vrms. This says a lot about the way your music has been mastered - it's most likely very compressed. If you're worried about being able to get those dynamics, I'd look around for better releases (if they exist.) The other option would be to see if Alex can adjust the gain, but it's really not worth it.
dj, I can't speak to your exact situation, but I have PW DAC2 and Transport. With my LLs and 009s and off the shelf CDs, I have lots of rotation on the vol pot even if I put the DAC higher than recommended.
Using the SE inputs will reduce the LL's gain, but I prefer the balanced inputs for almost all situations.
Radiohead's thoughts are probably more relevant than mine though. :)
Well, my source is computer audio from USB, mostly ripped from CDs (I don't have a high-quality CD player). And while I do get more volume range with recordings that are well-produced*, even on the stuff with the most dynamic range I'm still not able to go very far up on either the PWD or the LL.
I guess it's a combination of the baseline recorded volume level of my audio files, the high output of the PWD and the LL, and the relatively sensitive 009. It's not a big deal, since the end result still sounds great, but I was just wondering if there are any potential drawbacks to having to set the LL on such a low volume?
*I'm referring to stuff by the usual suspects: MA Recordings, Stockfisch, Living Stereo, Analogue Productions, Chesky, etc.
I've been fascinated reading these threads . . . so many mysteries (why is sridhar3 & others get banned? . . . why did Mwilson sell his SR009/LL? . . . how can Erico possibly afford all those stats? . . . LOL . . .) . . . . so much anticipation . . . will I fall in love with the LL / 009 if and when I get one? . . .
Anyway, I think I'm subscribed for the April LL release . . . I wonder how classical music will sound on this?
Ha. Lots of good questions. I didn't know that sridhar3 was banned. When did that happen? Who else is banned? Mwilson has explained why he sold his stat rig though and Erico, well I don't know...
Well, maybe I'm wrong about sridhar3 since it says he was online a minute ago, but it says 'banned' where others have 'industry Insider', or 'head fI'er'. Hopefully not true !! But you do see the intrigue here?
Maybe he was banned at the request of his significant other (the other half of his split personality) after spending way too much on gear the last year. Mwilson sold his LL/009 because the afterlife needs to be better than this one, and Erico... well, I'd tell you about his business but I'm not sure I'd be alive the next day.
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 27 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M* dacs, New amp section. Coming... 45 seconds ago
- › MINT condition Sennheiser HD598 headphones with case 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › [ T-PEOS ] announce a releasing of H-300 , and start pre-selling &... 4 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 4 minutes ago
- › Headphone Advice (HD650 / HE400 / AlphaDogs / TH-600) 4 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude