- 13,336 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Location: Hipster Haven of the South (Austin, Texas)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCavalli Audiotagged by System, 6/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 6/8/14 at 8:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- MADE IN THE USA - Any advise Last post on 4/2/13 at 12:57pm in High-end Audio Forum
- New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release Last post on 8/24/14 at 6:16am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Fire Last post on 6/12/13 at 5:04am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - New Headfi Sponsor Last post on 7/25/12 at 4:24pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning - Page 13
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'm looking at a few models 'above' his though. His CD-1 is quite old.
I know this is no trade forum, but how much do you plan to ask for you Cambridge?
Just got my LL and I'm really enjoying it so far with my 009s. I haven't heard the 009s with any other amps, but this setup is revealing across the board--though subtle--improvements over my LCD-3/LF combo. The most noticeable improvements are an increase in clarity, a more expansive and 3-D soundstage, and a seemingly much wider dynamic range (i.e., the contrast between softer and louder passages in music). Whereas the LCD-3's tonal balance may have been tilted to the darker side of neutral, the 009's tonal balance seems to slant towards the brighter side of neutral, to the point where I'm experiencing a vague sense of fatigue during long listening sessions (and I don't consider myself to have treble-sensitive hearing at all).
With the 009s, I feel the power of crescendos more viscerally than I ever did with the LCD-3s, to the point where I often find myself fumbling for the remote to my PWD so I can tone the volume down. This increase in perceived dynamics may be due, in part, to the 009's slightly bright nature, which might be making the higher frequencies pop out a bit more at louder recorded volumes.
As was the case with the LF, I'm not able to turn the volume dial on my LL very much before it gets too loud. I'm using the balanced output of my PWD, which, granted, seems to have a high output level. However, if I set the PWD to 60 volume (which is PS Audio's minimum-recommended level to avoid loss of resolution), I can only set the LL at a few very slight turns above 0 for most of my computer audio collection.
Is this extremely low volume level limiting the extent to which the LL can produce dynamics or resolution, or am I just being paranoid? Am I better off using the LL's single-ended inputs to lower the gain and get a wider volume range?
I didn't experience that at all, including with balanced connection at 4.6Vrms. This says a lot about the way your music has been mastered - it's most likely very compressed. If you're worried about being able to get those dynamics, I'd look around for better releases (if they exist.) The other option would be to see if Alex can adjust the gain, but it's really not worth it.
dj, I can't speak to your exact situation, but I have PW DAC2 and Transport. With my LLs and 009s and off the shelf CDs, I have lots of rotation on the vol pot even if I put the DAC higher than recommended.
Using the SE inputs will reduce the LL's gain, but I prefer the balanced inputs for almost all situations.
Radiohead's thoughts are probably more relevant than mine though. :)
Well, my source is computer audio from USB, mostly ripped from CDs (I don't have a high-quality CD player). And while I do get more volume range with recordings that are well-produced*, even on the stuff with the most dynamic range I'm still not able to go very far up on either the PWD or the LL.
I guess it's a combination of the baseline recorded volume level of my audio files, the high output of the PWD and the LL, and the relatively sensitive 009. It's not a big deal, since the end result still sounds great, but I was just wondering if there are any potential drawbacks to having to set the LL on such a low volume?
*I'm referring to stuff by the usual suspects: MA Recordings, Stockfisch, Living Stereo, Analogue Productions, Chesky, etc.
I've been fascinated reading these threads . . . so many mysteries (why is sridhar3 & others get banned? . . . why did Mwilson sell his SR009/LL? . . . how can Erico possibly afford all those stats? . . . LOL . . .) . . . . so much anticipation . . . will I fall in love with the LL / 009 if and when I get one? . . .
Anyway, I think I'm subscribed for the April LL release . . . I wonder how classical music will sound on this?
Ha. Lots of good questions. I didn't know that sridhar3 was banned. When did that happen? Who else is banned? Mwilson has explained why he sold his stat rig though and Erico, well I don't know...
Well, maybe I'm wrong about sridhar3 since it says he was online a minute ago, but it says 'banned' where others have 'industry Insider', or 'head fI'er'. Hopefully not true !! But you do see the intrigue here?
Maybe he was banned at the request of his significant other (the other half of his split personality) after spending way too much on gear the last year. Mwilson sold his LL/009 because the afterlife needs to be better than this one, and Erico... well, I'd tell you about his business but I'm not sure I'd be alive the next day.
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › $500 DAC; Shciit Biforst Uber upgrade or Audio-GD NFB 3 12 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 51 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Cayin N6 - New Audiophile DAP 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 2 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 2 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 minutes ago
- › Headstage arrow 4 T refurbished 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)