- 13,336 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Location: Hipster Haven of the South (Austin, Texas)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCavalli Audiotagged by System, 6/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 6/8/14 at 8:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- MADE IN THE USA - Any advise Last post on 4/2/13 at 12:57pm in High-end Audio Forum
- New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release Last post on 11/18/14 at 7:35pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Fire Last post on 6/12/13 at 5:04am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - New Headfi Sponsor Last post on 7/25/12 at 4:24pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: Yesterday
These headphones have a nice open soundstage for an earbud headphone and are relatively comfortable to wear. The sound does seem to "settle" and refine somewhat after some time of burning in. They...
I am really surprised to see so many positive reviews on the DT 770. To my ears, the sound this headphone renders is muffled. To my ears they sound as though someone has placed a heavy cloth over...
I have owned the Ultrasone Pro 750 for approximately 6 years and to say that I am familiar with the sound of this particular headphone would be an immense understatement. As a highly experienced...
So I bought these because I wanted to sleep and I can't sleep with over ear headphones on a window seat since the moment you put pressure on the bands, it goes haywire(the noise...
it take some time to fit these properly one of a kind sound great mids and highs, female vocal is good, male vocal a bit thin. At this price range, you can not get better bass, its the kind of...
Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning - Page 13
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'm looking at a few models 'above' his though. His CD-1 is quite old.
I know this is no trade forum, but how much do you plan to ask for you Cambridge?
Just got my LL and I'm really enjoying it so far with my 009s. I haven't heard the 009s with any other amps, but this setup is revealing across the board--though subtle--improvements over my LCD-3/LF combo. The most noticeable improvements are an increase in clarity, a more expansive and 3-D soundstage, and a seemingly much wider dynamic range (i.e., the contrast between softer and louder passages in music). Whereas the LCD-3's tonal balance may have been tilted to the darker side of neutral, the 009's tonal balance seems to slant towards the brighter side of neutral, to the point where I'm experiencing a vague sense of fatigue during long listening sessions (and I don't consider myself to have treble-sensitive hearing at all).
With the 009s, I feel the power of crescendos more viscerally than I ever did with the LCD-3s, to the point where I often find myself fumbling for the remote to my PWD so I can tone the volume down. This increase in perceived dynamics may be due, in part, to the 009's slightly bright nature, which might be making the higher frequencies pop out a bit more at louder recorded volumes.
As was the case with the LF, I'm not able to turn the volume dial on my LL very much before it gets too loud. I'm using the balanced output of my PWD, which, granted, seems to have a high output level. However, if I set the PWD to 60 volume (which is PS Audio's minimum-recommended level to avoid loss of resolution), I can only set the LL at a few very slight turns above 0 for most of my computer audio collection.
Is this extremely low volume level limiting the extent to which the LL can produce dynamics or resolution, or am I just being paranoid? Am I better off using the LL's single-ended inputs to lower the gain and get a wider volume range?
I didn't experience that at all, including with balanced connection at 4.6Vrms. This says a lot about the way your music has been mastered - it's most likely very compressed. If you're worried about being able to get those dynamics, I'd look around for better releases (if they exist.) The other option would be to see if Alex can adjust the gain, but it's really not worth it.
dj, I can't speak to your exact situation, but I have PW DAC2 and Transport. With my LLs and 009s and off the shelf CDs, I have lots of rotation on the vol pot even if I put the DAC higher than recommended.
Using the SE inputs will reduce the LL's gain, but I prefer the balanced inputs for almost all situations.
Radiohead's thoughts are probably more relevant than mine though. :)
Well, my source is computer audio from USB, mostly ripped from CDs (I don't have a high-quality CD player). And while I do get more volume range with recordings that are well-produced*, even on the stuff with the most dynamic range I'm still not able to go very far up on either the PWD or the LL.
I guess it's a combination of the baseline recorded volume level of my audio files, the high output of the PWD and the LL, and the relatively sensitive 009. It's not a big deal, since the end result still sounds great, but I was just wondering if there are any potential drawbacks to having to set the LL on such a low volume?
*I'm referring to stuff by the usual suspects: MA Recordings, Stockfisch, Living Stereo, Analogue Productions, Chesky, etc.
I've been fascinated reading these threads . . . so many mysteries (why is sridhar3 & others get banned? . . . why did Mwilson sell his SR009/LL? . . . how can Erico possibly afford all those stats? . . . LOL . . .) . . . . so much anticipation . . . will I fall in love with the LL / 009 if and when I get one? . . .
Anyway, I think I'm subscribed for the April LL release . . . I wonder how classical music will sound on this?
Ha. Lots of good questions. I didn't know that sridhar3 was banned. When did that happen? Who else is banned? Mwilson has explained why he sold his stat rig though and Erico, well I don't know...
Well, maybe I'm wrong about sridhar3 since it says he was online a minute ago, but it says 'banned' where others have 'industry Insider', or 'head fI'er'. Hopefully not true !! But you do see the intrigue here?
Maybe he was banned at the request of his significant other (the other half of his split personality) after spending way too much on gear the last year. Mwilson sold his LL/009 because the afterlife needs to be better than this one, and Erico... well, I'd tell you about his business but I'm not sure I'd be alive the next day.
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 15 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 328 IEMs compared (Lear LUF-4F / LUF-4B / LUF-4C... 37 seconds ago
- › Synergistic Research "Atmosphere" 1 minute ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 1 minute ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 6 minutes ago
- › New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!! 7 minutes ago
- › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by pete4sound
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Peter Pinna
- › Ultrasone PRO 750 by Peter Pinna
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by yialanliu
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by 10shot9miss
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by Arturoo123
- › Apple iPod Earphones Headphones for iPod Nano, Touch & Classic by GoldenGuy66
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)