Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD439 review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD439 review - Page 8

post #106 of 147

Are you sure? Just tried it, I didn't like the sound, it wasn't as rich as before. Didn't help much with the vibrations either...

post #107 of 147

Pretty Sure, however the experience with this thing may vary, obviously do not cover all the driver. With my headphone, this tape put in this mode, seems to work, however i will try to remove it to see if the tape is doing something right now.

post #108 of 147
Don't know why you guys mod these, they are perfect stock IMO: great soundstage, width and depth, for closed phones, especially in the price range, and surprisingly good separation as well. Maybe not the best imaging or speed, but these are Sennheisers we're talking about. Pretty balanced, a bit on the warm and dark side, but I love it. They are a very comfortable, relaxed, natural listen without being boring.
post #109 of 147

I have my HD439 at stock too. I just got an HD518 not too long ago and I still find myself reaching for my 439 from time to time.
 

post #110 of 147
to my ears the hd439 is a low budget momentum equivalent. not as refined, but and that is quite interesting soundstage is wider and deeper by a mile. the kid of these two phones might be a perfekt phone.
post #111 of 147

What about vibration? Since I like listening to metal, I can't amp the phones.

The drivers just go mad, especially the left one.


Edited by NAeternal - 6/6/13 at 1:23am
post #112 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Don't know why you guys mod these, they are perfect stock IMO: great soundstage, width and depth, for closed phones, especially in the price range, and surprisingly good separation as well. Maybe not the best imaging or speed, but these are Sennheisers we're talking about. Pretty balanced, a bit on the warm and dark side, but I love it. They are a very comfortable, relaxed, natural listen without being boring.

Simply because they sound sooo much better! Going back makes them sound like a cheap useless set...

For me, a 3 open hole for HD-439 and a 3 open hole with the towel mod for the HD-449 are the PERFECT sound listening mods for these headphones.

post #113 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskidis View Post

Simply because they sound sooo much better! Going back makes them sound like a cheap useless set...

For me, a 3 open hole for HD-439 and a 3 open hole with the towel mod for the HD-449 are the PERFECT sound listening mods for these headphones.

 

I think that a 3 open hole for the HD439 is for bass-heads, not PERFECT. Stock, this headphone is great for the price and not a cheap useless set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Don't know why you guys mod these, they are perfect stock IMO: great soundstage, width and depth, for closed phones, especially in the price range, and surprisingly good separation as well. Maybe not the best imaging or speed, but these are Sennheisers we're talking about. Pretty balanced, a bit on the warm and dark side, but I love it. They are a very comfortable, relaxed, natural listen without being boring.

I Agree with you, partially. Without the bass mod (with one hole without the tape for example) this headphone is better, The bass lacks punch  when is stock IMO, with the bass mod sound similar (but not equal, by far) to my HD 558. 

post #114 of 147

Ok, definitely not doing the bass mod...the HD558s were too bassy for me. The bass could be a bit tighter/punchier, but it does fine with all of the music I use them for; sure psytrance could use a little extra kick, but I rarely think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan1894 View Post

 

I think that a 3 open hole for the HD439 is for bass-heads, not PERFECT. Stock, this headphone is great for the price and not a cheap useless set...

I Agree with you, partially. Without the bass mod (with one hole without the tape for example) this headphone is better, The bass lacks punch  when is stock IMO, with the bass mod sound similar (but not equal, by far) to my HD 558. 

post #115 of 147

Im suprised to hear your state that says "the hd 558 were too bassy for me", very surprised because all the graphs shows a different thing, however the graphs dont show everything (For Example: The graphs says that the hd 439 have more bass than hd 558 and my ears hear the opposite)

post #116 of 147
Well to my ears the HD439 has a tighter, punchier bass presentation, whereas the lows of the 558 sounded more atmospheric and loose/uncontrolled, coloring the mids heavily and making the whole sound a bit thick for my tastes. The HD558 were also darker to my ears, which could explain greater perceived bassiness. The 439 is warm in tonality, but relative to the 558s they sound more balanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan1894 View Post

Im suprised to hear your state that says "the hd 558 were too bassy for me", very surprised because all the graphs shows a different thing, however the graphs dont show everything (For Example: The graphs says that the hd 439 have more bass than hd 558 and my ears hear the opposite)
post #117 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Well to my ears the HD439 has a tighter, punchier bass presentation, whereas the lows of the 558 sounded more atmospheric and loose/uncontrolled, coloring the mids heavily and making the whole sound a bit thick for my tastes. The HD558 were also darker to my ears, which could explain greater perceived bassiness. The 439 is warm in tonality, but relative to the 558s they sound more balanced.

Surprising.

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2861&graphID[]=4001&graphID[]=3741&scale=30

 

Because this graph shows the opposite. I put the graph of the v-moda M80 because its known for be polite in the highs department, and have much more highs than hd439.

post #118 of 147
*shrug* Graphs don't tell everything, I suppose, but I do see the mid bass hump of the HD558 extending further up in the 250-700 range, which could very easily be the cause of the perceived thickness. Its bass is also not as linear extending below 100hz as the HD439, which, combined with its open design, probably explains why the HD439 bass seems punchier. I do think its highs are brighter than the HD439, it is more balanced in terms of relative frequency emphasis, but the tonality is not as neutral IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan1894 View Post

Surprising.

[URL=http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2861&graphID[]=4001&graphID[]=3741&scale=30]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2861&graphID[]=4001&graphID[]=3741&scale=30[/URL]

Because this graph shows the opposite. I put the graph of the v-moda M80 because its known for be polite in the highs department, and have much more highs than hd439.

Edited by Gilly87 - 6/20/13 at 7:07am
post #119 of 147

I accidentally poked a hole into my HD 439, is there a sound difference?

post #120 of 147
You tell us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post

I accidentally poked a hole into my HD 439, is there a sound difference?


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD439 review