Which one is better with proper amping?
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHD600 / HD650 "Lightning" SXC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- productHD600/HD650 "Truth" UPOCC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 6/14/12More
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- In search of the perfect headphone (for me, that is) Last post on 9/5/12 at 12:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 vs HD650 - Initial Thoughts Last post on 9/1/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Incipio F38 Remember the famous budget cans, the RP-HTF600? They we're great once modded, and so are these! So let's talk. This won't be a Super Detailed Review. Overall Sound: Highs...
wouldn't recommend if you're going to pay for $100 or above. Reasonable price should have been around $70. The only selling point is the open soundstage, would make a goid pair for movies or...
Just purchased these to see if the review-ratings were any close to reality. Quite a bit yeah. I thought it's good to have them with you if you want to occasionally let a friend listen with...
Senn HD650 or HD600?post #1 of 646/14/12 at 2:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 646/14/12 at 2:09pmpost #3 of 646/14/12 at 2:38pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by davidgotsa
So would the HD650 be the best headphone i could get for $500 thats a neutral, open sounding headphone?post #4 of 646/14/12 at 2:45pm
To my ears the 600 is more towards the neutal end then the 650. The 650 has a deeper sound-stage (a bit) and a bigger bass presence, but if it is a neutral sound you seek, then the 600 is what you are looking for.post #5 of 646/14/12 at 3:01pmThread StarterQuote:
Is that the best headphone for 500$ or lower?post #6 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
Give it a listen and you tell us.
In other words, no one can conclusively say... it's completely subjective. And don't forget to budget for amplification!post #7 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
There's no one objective "best" headphone at any price range. Different headphones have different characteristics, and people have different preferences. What you should do is decide on what you want out of your headphones, and then research as to which pair would fit those needs best.post #8 of 646/14/12 at 4:41pmThread StarterQuote:
Im going for amplification after. i hear the HD650 pairs with the E11 not too bad. So then in a year after buying i will get a Schiit Valhalla and a HRT MusicStreamer II+post #9 of 646/14/12 at 4:50pm
I did not say better, just more neutral. Save a couple more bucks and buy the HE-500 if you want detailed and neutral.post #10 of 646/14/12 at 4:56pmQuote:
All this talk/implication of the HE-500 being a direct upgrade to the HD600... it's admittedly crept to the top of my "must try" list. Of course, the HD800 is supposed to be an upgrade to the HD600 and, all things considered, I prefer the latter...post #11 of 646/14/12 at 5:05pmI have owned them both and sold them both. The answer to your question is "it depends". If you prefer a very smoooth sound signature that is on the warm side of neutral, with bass emphasis and laid back ... It has to be the HD650. If you prefer a more neutral 'monitoring' sound signature, then you will likely prefer the HD600.post #12 of 646/14/12 at 5:06pmQuote:
You'll need more power to drive them as well. Fiio is not enough.
What about the HD598/HD700?post #13 of 646/14/12 at 5:09pmQuote:
I have not owned/heard the HD800, I do own the HD600/650 and they will always have a place in my small collection, but the HE-500 had me pulling out songs I have not listened to in years.post #14 of 646/14/12 at 5:11pm
The HD 800 and the HD 600 have fairly different sound signatures. I feel that the HD 800 sounds like a cross between the K701 and DT880 with cleaner treble and better bass response. It's definitely technically superior to every other Sennheiser headphone, but it is undoubtedly leaner and brighter than the HD 600 if being run out of the same chain.
On the other hand, my HE-6 sounds like someone took my HD 580, slightly improved the details and cleaned up all of the grain. They carry about the same weight to the music and I can see why one would be considered a direct upgrade to the other.post #15 of 646/14/12 at 5:38pm
I would put you on a Hifiman HE-400 with very little amping required. I enjoy it more than the HD600/HD650.
- Senn HD650 or HD600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Onkyo DAC-HA300 8 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 49 seconds ago
- › Unbalanced sound in my ears 1 minute ago
- › Headphone recommendation 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Headphones NEW (Latest Drop) 5 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2