Which one is better with proper amping?
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHD600 / HD650 "Lightning" SXC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- productHD600/HD650 "Truth" UPOCC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 6/14/12More
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- In search of the perfect headphone (for me, that is) Last post on 9/5/12 at 12:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 vs HD650 - Initial Thoughts Last post on 9/1/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- What should I look for in cans for Movies only? Last post on 4/3/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
Senn HD650 or HD600?post #1 of 646/14/12 at 2:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 646/14/12 at 2:09pmpost #3 of 646/14/12 at 2:38pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by davidgotsa
So would the HD650 be the best headphone i could get for $500 thats a neutral, open sounding headphone?post #4 of 646/14/12 at 2:45pm
To my ears the 600 is more towards the neutal end then the 650. The 650 has a deeper sound-stage (a bit) and a bigger bass presence, but if it is a neutral sound you seek, then the 600 is what you are looking for.post #5 of 646/14/12 at 3:01pmThread StarterQuote:
Is that the best headphone for 500$ or lower?post #6 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
Give it a listen and you tell us.
In other words, no one can conclusively say... it's completely subjective. And don't forget to budget for amplification!post #7 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
There's no one objective "best" headphone at any price range. Different headphones have different characteristics, and people have different preferences. What you should do is decide on what you want out of your headphones, and then research as to which pair would fit those needs best.post #8 of 646/14/12 at 4:41pmThread StarterQuote:
Im going for amplification after. i hear the HD650 pairs with the E11 not too bad. So then in a year after buying i will get a Schiit Valhalla and a HRT MusicStreamer II+post #9 of 646/14/12 at 4:50pm
I did not say better, just more neutral. Save a couple more bucks and buy the HE-500 if you want detailed and neutral.post #10 of 646/14/12 at 4:56pmQuote:
All this talk/implication of the HE-500 being a direct upgrade to the HD600... it's admittedly crept to the top of my "must try" list. Of course, the HD800 is supposed to be an upgrade to the HD600 and, all things considered, I prefer the latter...post #11 of 646/14/12 at 5:05pmI have owned them both and sold them both. The answer to your question is "it depends". If you prefer a very smoooth sound signature that is on the warm side of neutral, with bass emphasis and laid back ... It has to be the HD650. If you prefer a more neutral 'monitoring' sound signature, then you will likely prefer the HD600.post #12 of 646/14/12 at 5:06pmQuote:
You'll need more power to drive them as well. Fiio is not enough.
What about the HD598/HD700?post #13 of 646/14/12 at 5:09pmQuote:
I have not owned/heard the HD800, I do own the HD600/650 and they will always have a place in my small collection, but the HE-500 had me pulling out songs I have not listened to in years.post #14 of 646/14/12 at 5:11pm
The HD 800 and the HD 600 have fairly different sound signatures. I feel that the HD 800 sounds like a cross between the K701 and DT880 with cleaner treble and better bass response. It's definitely technically superior to every other Sennheiser headphone, but it is undoubtedly leaner and brighter than the HD 600 if being run out of the same chain.
On the other hand, my HE-6 sounds like someone took my HD 580, slightly improved the details and cleaned up all of the grain. They carry about the same weight to the music and I can see why one would be considered a direct upgrade to the other.post #15 of 646/14/12 at 5:38pm
I would put you on a Hifiman HE-400 with very little amping required. I enjoy it more than the HD600/HD650.
- Senn HD650 or HD600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 second ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet! 1 minute ago
- › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › sennheiser hd25-II custom earpads for more comfort. 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › Taket H2+ with amp which can drive it well combo 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)