Which one is better with proper amping?
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHD600 / HD650 "Lightning" SXC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- productHD600/HD650 "Truth" UPOCC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 6/14/12More
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- In search of the perfect headphone (for me, that is) Last post on 9/5/12 at 12:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 vs HD650 - Initial Thoughts Last post on 9/1/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- What should I look for in cans for Movies only? Last post on 4/3/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Senn HD650 or HD600?post #1 of 646/14/12 at 2:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 646/14/12 at 2:09pmpost #3 of 646/14/12 at 2:38pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by davidgotsa
So would the HD650 be the best headphone i could get for $500 thats a neutral, open sounding headphone?post #4 of 646/14/12 at 2:45pm
To my ears the 600 is more towards the neutal end then the 650. The 650 has a deeper sound-stage (a bit) and a bigger bass presence, but if it is a neutral sound you seek, then the 600 is what you are looking for.post #5 of 646/14/12 at 3:01pmThread StarterQuote:
Is that the best headphone for 500$ or lower?post #6 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
Give it a listen and you tell us.
In other words, no one can conclusively say... it's completely subjective. And don't forget to budget for amplification!post #7 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
There's no one objective "best" headphone at any price range. Different headphones have different characteristics, and people have different preferences. What you should do is decide on what you want out of your headphones, and then research as to which pair would fit those needs best.post #8 of 646/14/12 at 4:41pmThread StarterQuote:
Im going for amplification after. i hear the HD650 pairs with the E11 not too bad. So then in a year after buying i will get a Schiit Valhalla and a HRT MusicStreamer II+post #9 of 646/14/12 at 4:50pm
I did not say better, just more neutral. Save a couple more bucks and buy the HE-500 if you want detailed and neutral.post #10 of 646/14/12 at 4:56pmQuote:
All this talk/implication of the HE-500 being a direct upgrade to the HD600... it's admittedly crept to the top of my "must try" list. Of course, the HD800 is supposed to be an upgrade to the HD600 and, all things considered, I prefer the latter...post #11 of 646/14/12 at 5:05pmI have owned them both and sold them both. The answer to your question is "it depends". If you prefer a very smoooth sound signature that is on the warm side of neutral, with bass emphasis and laid back ... It has to be the HD650. If you prefer a more neutral 'monitoring' sound signature, then you will likely prefer the HD600.post #12 of 646/14/12 at 5:06pmQuote:
You'll need more power to drive them as well. Fiio is not enough.
What about the HD598/HD700?post #13 of 646/14/12 at 5:09pmQuote:
I have not owned/heard the HD800, I do own the HD600/650 and they will always have a place in my small collection, but the HE-500 had me pulling out songs I have not listened to in years.post #14 of 646/14/12 at 5:11pm
The HD 800 and the HD 600 have fairly different sound signatures. I feel that the HD 800 sounds like a cross between the K701 and DT880 with cleaner treble and better bass response. It's definitely technically superior to every other Sennheiser headphone, but it is undoubtedly leaner and brighter than the HD 600 if being run out of the same chain.
On the other hand, my HE-6 sounds like someone took my HD 580, slightly improved the details and cleaned up all of the grain. They carry about the same weight to the music and I can see why one would be considered a direct upgrade to the other.post #15 of 646/14/12 at 5:38pm
I would put you on a Hifiman HE-400 with very little amping required. I enjoy it more than the HD600/HD650.
- Senn HD650 or HD600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Bakoon japan launch 1st portable headphone amplifier HDA 5520 24 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 32 seconds ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000,... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)