Which one is better with proper amping?
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHD600 / HD650 "Lightning" SXC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- productHD600/HD650 "Truth" UPOCC Cabletagged by System, 3/1/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 6/14/12More
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- In search of the perfect headphone (for me, that is) Last post on 9/5/12 at 12:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 vs HD650 - Initial Thoughts Last post on 9/1/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- What should I look for in cans for Movies only? Last post on 4/3/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
Senn HD650 or HD600?post #1 of 646/14/12 at 2:05pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 646/14/12 at 2:09pmpost #3 of 646/14/12 at 2:38pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by davidgotsa
So would the HD650 be the best headphone i could get for $500 thats a neutral, open sounding headphone?post #4 of 646/14/12 at 2:45pm
To my ears the 600 is more towards the neutal end then the 650. The 650 has a deeper sound-stage (a bit) and a bigger bass presence, but if it is a neutral sound you seek, then the 600 is what you are looking for.post #5 of 646/14/12 at 3:01pmThread StarterQuote:
Is that the best headphone for 500$ or lower?post #6 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
Give it a listen and you tell us.
In other words, no one can conclusively say... it's completely subjective. And don't forget to budget for amplification!post #7 of 646/14/12 at 3:44pm
There's no one objective "best" headphone at any price range. Different headphones have different characteristics, and people have different preferences. What you should do is decide on what you want out of your headphones, and then research as to which pair would fit those needs best.post #8 of 646/14/12 at 4:41pmThread StarterQuote:
Im going for amplification after. i hear the HD650 pairs with the E11 not too bad. So then in a year after buying i will get a Schiit Valhalla and a HRT MusicStreamer II+post #9 of 646/14/12 at 4:50pm
I did not say better, just more neutral. Save a couple more bucks and buy the HE-500 if you want detailed and neutral.post #10 of 646/14/12 at 4:56pmQuote:
All this talk/implication of the HE-500 being a direct upgrade to the HD600... it's admittedly crept to the top of my "must try" list. Of course, the HD800 is supposed to be an upgrade to the HD600 and, all things considered, I prefer the latter...post #11 of 646/14/12 at 5:05pmI have owned them both and sold them both. The answer to your question is "it depends". If you prefer a very smoooth sound signature that is on the warm side of neutral, with bass emphasis and laid back ... It has to be the HD650. If you prefer a more neutral 'monitoring' sound signature, then you will likely prefer the HD600.post #12 of 646/14/12 at 5:06pmQuote:
You'll need more power to drive them as well. Fiio is not enough.
What about the HD598/HD700?post #13 of 646/14/12 at 5:09pmQuote:
I have not owned/heard the HD800, I do own the HD600/650 and they will always have a place in my small collection, but the HE-500 had me pulling out songs I have not listened to in years.post #14 of 646/14/12 at 5:11pm
The HD 800 and the HD 600 have fairly different sound signatures. I feel that the HD 800 sounds like a cross between the K701 and DT880 with cleaner treble and better bass response. It's definitely technically superior to every other Sennheiser headphone, but it is undoubtedly leaner and brighter than the HD 600 if being run out of the same chain.
On the other hand, my HE-6 sounds like someone took my HD 580, slightly improved the details and cleaned up all of the grain. They carry about the same weight to the music and I can see why one would be considered a direct upgrade to the other.post #15 of 646/14/12 at 5:38pm
I would put you on a Hifiman HE-400 with very little amping required. I enjoy it more than the HD600/HD650.
- Senn HD650 or HD600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Is the Beyerdynamic A1 Headphone Amplifier worth the $750 price... 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Is burn in real or placebo? 3 minutes ago
- › Lear BD4.2 - impressions and appreciation thread. 4 Balanced... 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M* dacs, New amp section. Coming... 5 minutes ago
- › Best Living Room System for €300- €400 6 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude