Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help on getting new IEMs (Classical Music)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help on getting new IEMs (Classical Music) - Page 2

post #16 of 51
Thread Starter 

Thanks a lot. I really need a good think now, because GR 8s or 10s are way too expensive, though they sound really good from your comments which might worth thinking.

By the way, what's the difference between GR8 and GR10? normal_smile%20.gif

post #17 of 51

I agree on the Etymotic recommendations and would also like to add the Sony EX600 to the mix.  Great detail and good soundstage.

post #18 of 51
Thread Starter 

Oh yeah, I've found it thanks.

What does it mean by "binaural" when I find on websites about some IEMs?

post #19 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalist View Post

I really like the Westone 4 for classical as well as the PFE 232 which is way out of your price range.  In that case I think, from what I've read, that you could go with the PFE 122.  The soundstage is really open and the instruments have a nice amount of air around them which gives them a very realistic feel.  I get height in classical vocals/opera that I don't get with a lot of other iem's.  Some good deals can be found on the Westone 4 if you're patient - either from dealers or on the sale/trade listings.  Those would be my pick - speaking as a classical singer and someone who listens to a lot of classical and opera.

May I just be curious and ask about the clarity of Westone 4 in the high range, like the high-pitched mixture pipes in organ, and the "three-way crossover", would it affect the balance between the earbuds?

post #20 of 51

Get MDR- EX1000 and don't look back as simple as that. Can be found new for $300-330

post #21 of 51
Binaural means:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural

Hope it helps, Jim
post #22 of 51
Thread Starter 
Thanks, and is it comfortable to have the Etymotic earbuds right in the canal?
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwong View Post

Thanks, and is it comfortable to have the Etymotic earbuds right in the canal?

Jordan,

The Universal IEM is one of the most customizable fitting of all headphone products.

Further, the small barrel/body size of the Etymotic ER-4 works to its advantage.

Here is a blogger that loves his ER-4Bs, and does various tip sound testing.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com

With a Comply Foam tip, I can easily wear mine all day long.

Hope that helps, Jim
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Which tips have you tried?

 

Thanks, Jim

 

the triple flanges and the foamies. i feel that it sticks out too much with the foamies whereas i hate the feel of the triple.

post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2625 View Post

the triple flanges and the foamies. i feel that it sticks out too much with the foamies whereas i hate the feel of the triple.

I always come back to the Comply Foam tips.

With them I can go all day without discomfort.

I like the P-Series best. Longer foam, and longer sound tube.

Jim
post #26 of 51

hmm, may give them another try, but i do prefer the over ear designs

post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwong View Post

Thanks a lot. I really need a good think now, because GR 8s or 10s are way too expensive, though they sound really good from your comments which might worth thinking.

By the way, what's the difference between GR8 and GR10? normal_smile%20.gif


I owned the GR8 a long time ago and can't really speak of the difference in any truly accurate capacity.  Off memory though, I do remember that the GR8 is a bit less refined across the board.  I think the GR10's highs are less grainy and the bass is a bit tighter.  I think the GR8 was a bit warmer.  Again, this is all from memory and not a proper a/b test.  I would suspect that if you were to buy the GR8 and never listen to the GR10, you would be a happy camper.  I was once told that if Etymotic made the GR8 and GR10, the GR8 would be the warmer version of the ER-4 and the GR10 would be the next evolutionary step up.  From my experience with Grado and Etymotic, I can agree with this assessment. 

 

But please, I am not a Grado fan boy, and can see why you'd go with the Etymotic (cost being one reason--though the GR8 used can go for around $175-200); but I do still stand by my statement that you need to match them right or they'll sound too thin.  I agree with people who say that the Comply tips work well with Etymotics.  I personally really liked the longer P-Series tips, as they helped warm-up the sound and were a little more comfortable.    

 

What about the Westone 2?  It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I've heard that it's pretty impressive for its price.   

post #28 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnievidi View Post


I owned the GR8 a long time ago and can't really speak of the difference in any truly accurate capacity.  Off memory though, I do remember that the GR8 is a bit less refined across the board.  I think the GR10's highs are less grainy and the bass is a bit tighter.  I think the GR8 was a bit warmer.  Again, this is all from memory and not a proper a/b test.  I would suspect that if you were to buy the GR8 and never listen to the GR10, you would be a happy camper.  I was once told that if Etymotic made the GR8 and GR10, the GR8 would be the warmer version of the ER-4 and the GR10 would be the next evolutionary step up.  From my experience with Grado and Etymotic, I can agree with this assessment. 

But please, I am not a Grado fan boy, and can see why you'd go with the Etymotic (cost being one reason--though the GR8 used can go for around $175-200); but I do still stand by my statement that you need to match them right or they'll sound too thin.  I agree with people who say that the Comply tips work well with Etymotics.  I personally really liked the longer P-Series tips, as they helped warm-up the sound and were a little more comfortable.    

What about the Westone 2?  It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I've heard that it's pretty impressive for its price.   
Thanks, I've thought about Westone 2 indeed, but I'm not sure about them, as compared to Etymotic...have you any comments on them?
post #29 of 51

Not from any personal experience, I've owned the W1, W3, W4 and UMX3, but not the W2.  The reviews on earphone solutions are pretty interesting though (there are some head-fier who have posted their reviews there).

post #30 of 51

I've a few to add to the mix, I know Etymotic has been said already, I'd like to add to that list:

  • Etymotic ER series
  • ACS T15
  • Phonak PFE 1xx series (grey filters)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help on getting new IEMs (Classical Music)