Want to replace my falling-apart HD495. Not using an amp right now and would rather not. Recommendations? have always drooled over the HD598..
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/14/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR 7509HD ?? Last post on 9/25/11 at 9:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 or ... (180$) Last post on 8/30/11 at 1:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50s or HD 518?? Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI 780 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Grado SR 225i Last post on 8/22/11 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Pros: Comfort, build quality, sub-bass quality, multiple sound tunings. Cons: Shouty upper mids Tonal Balance: Warm to balanced depending on ports. Style: Closed over-ear Listening...
The T40rp mark 2 is a very fine headphone. My first impression's of them where positive although your ears might take a while to get use to the very unique sound signature. They are very well...
You gonna get an amp now? ...or wait? o.k., you gonna wait? keep...
After years of not getting anything new, the Lyra was my first earphones that I would classify as high end. I got it before my CDM and one thing really lead to another. Made by Campfire...
Introduction: Peter Wong Audio is a Hong Kong based brand, and Peter, Ceo of th company, offers many different products such as mini to mini and IEM cables, several adapters, interconnects and...
HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50?post #1 of 76/14/12 at 10:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 76/14/12 at 3:11pmpost #3 of 76/14/12 at 6:22pmQuote:
Need more criteria from you.
Total budget (max).
Closed or open back.
Genres of music/movies/games.
What you favor in sound (bass heavy, neutrality, treble heavy, bright treble, or dim treble).
What source you're using (ie, phone, computer, soundcard, etc, whatever you're plugging into).
Very best,post #4 of 76/15/12 at 1:51amThread Starter
I'm thinking around the budget for these phones I've listed (e.g. 250 maximum).
Closed would be preferable but my 495 is open back. I think the 598 is too?
I like comfortable and I like Sennheiser. I'd just get the 598 except it's at the top end of my price range and there are probably better-sounding cans for cheaper.
Music - I'm ashamed to admit this but I use my 495's mostly for gaming. But music, well female vocals is my main use case.post #5 of 76/15/12 at 7:12am
I'd recommend the SRH 940, which you can get for $239.99 off Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH940-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B004MTE7EK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339769306&sr=1-1&keywords=srh+940
The forward upper mids work wonders. Just make sure your head fits. If you need to use the max slider adjustment on anything else, I'd recommend against for comfort reasons.
I've also heard good things about the HD 598 and female vocals, but I've never actually heard one.
What I would really like to recommend would be a used HD 580 or HD 600 for better comfort and scalability, but those require amping to sound their best.post #6 of 76/15/12 at 7:31amThread Starter
I'm not in the market for used. All of these things are available in Singapore at inflated prices, but I will be in NYC in a few days and will visit the fabled B&H. They have the 598 for $250, the DT880 for $235 (yeah, cheaper than the 598). Of course the ATH-M50 is less ($170? same as HD558). They also have the AKG Q701 for $240 - but it doesn't look as plush as the 598.
Will note that my audio source is predominantly MP3 albeit at higher bit rate. They say the 598 is not detailed enough to expose the quantization errors in MP3 and is therefore recommended for that purpose..?post #7 of 76/15/12 at 7:34amThread Starter
oh and I will probably pick up a Fiio E11 at B&H since they have it and it's cheap ($60). B&H wants $150+ for the E17.
I actually have a bunch of unpopulated headphone amp boards back home (OPA2134 thingies). Never got around to soldering those tiny SMD components. so probably the E11 is good enough for the meantime. I think it can drive the 250-ohm DT880 passably as well..
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › [~100$] What should I replace my Sony MDR-7506 for ? (lacking bass,... 24 seconds ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 36 seconds ago
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 3 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro by keanex
- › FOSTEX T40RP mkII DJ Headphones by JVC steven
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by Hawaiibadboy
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by tassardar
- › PW Audio Legend II v2 Copper IEM Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Xiaomi Mi Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Hisoundfi
- › Project Horizon 3 by Army-Firedawg
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by grizzlybeast
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by nauhid
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2