Want to replace my falling-apart HD495. Not using an amp right now and would rather not. Recommendations? have always drooled over the HD598..
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/14/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR 7509HD ?? Last post on 9/25/11 at 9:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 or ... (180$) Last post on 8/30/11 at 1:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50s or HD 518?? Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI 780 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Grado SR 225i Last post on 8/22/11 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50?post #1 of 76/14/12 at 10:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 76/14/12 at 3:11pmpost #3 of 76/14/12 at 6:22pmQuote:
Need more criteria from you.
Total budget (max).
Closed or open back.
Genres of music/movies/games.
What you favor in sound (bass heavy, neutrality, treble heavy, bright treble, or dim treble).
What source you're using (ie, phone, computer, soundcard, etc, whatever you're plugging into).
Very best,post #4 of 76/15/12 at 1:51amThread Starter
I'm thinking around the budget for these phones I've listed (e.g. 250 maximum).
Closed would be preferable but my 495 is open back. I think the 598 is too?
I like comfortable and I like Sennheiser. I'd just get the 598 except it's at the top end of my price range and there are probably better-sounding cans for cheaper.
Music - I'm ashamed to admit this but I use my 495's mostly for gaming. But music, well female vocals is my main use case.post #5 of 76/15/12 at 7:12am
I'd recommend the SRH 940, which you can get for $239.99 off Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH940-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B004MTE7EK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339769306&sr=1-1&keywords=srh+940
The forward upper mids work wonders. Just make sure your head fits. If you need to use the max slider adjustment on anything else, I'd recommend against for comfort reasons.
I've also heard good things about the HD 598 and female vocals, but I've never actually heard one.
What I would really like to recommend would be a used HD 580 or HD 600 for better comfort and scalability, but those require amping to sound their best.post #6 of 76/15/12 at 7:31amThread Starter
I'm not in the market for used. All of these things are available in Singapore at inflated prices, but I will be in NYC in a few days and will visit the fabled B&H. They have the 598 for $250, the DT880 for $235 (yeah, cheaper than the 598). Of course the ATH-M50 is less ($170? same as HD558). They also have the AKG Q701 for $240 - but it doesn't look as plush as the 598.
Will note that my audio source is predominantly MP3 albeit at higher bit rate. They say the 598 is not detailed enough to expose the quantization errors in MP3 and is therefore recommended for that purpose..?post #7 of 76/15/12 at 7:34amThread Starter
oh and I will probably pick up a Fiio E11 at B&H since they have it and it's cheap ($60). B&H wants $150+ for the E17.
I actually have a bunch of unpopulated headphone amp boards back home (OPA2134 thingies). Never got around to soldering those tiny SMD components. so probably the E11 is good enough for the meantime. I think it can drive the 250-ohm DT880 passably as well..
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Upgrade my HD650 setup 29 seconds ago
- › What is Limiting my Bass With my Beyerdynamic DT 770's When Used on... 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K1000 ***Mint - Bought unused 4 weeks ago!!!**** 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Tube amp into A/V receiver? 8 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Please quickly recommend an In-Ear headphone to get for $200 and... 9 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)