Want to replace my falling-apart HD495. Not using an amp right now and would rather not. Recommendations? have always drooled over the HD598..
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/14/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 6/14/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR 7509HD ?? Last post on 9/25/11 at 9:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 or ... (180$) Last post on 8/30/11 at 1:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50s or HD 518?? Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI 780 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Grado SR 225i Last post on 8/22/11 at 11:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50?post #1 of 76/14/12 at 10:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 76/14/12 at 3:11pmpost #3 of 76/14/12 at 6:22pmQuote:
Need more criteria from you.
Total budget (max).
Closed or open back.
Genres of music/movies/games.
What you favor in sound (bass heavy, neutrality, treble heavy, bright treble, or dim treble).
What source you're using (ie, phone, computer, soundcard, etc, whatever you're plugging into).
Very best,post #4 of 76/15/12 at 1:51amThread Starter
I'm thinking around the budget for these phones I've listed (e.g. 250 maximum).
Closed would be preferable but my 495 is open back. I think the 598 is too?
I like comfortable and I like Sennheiser. I'd just get the 598 except it's at the top end of my price range and there are probably better-sounding cans for cheaper.
Music - I'm ashamed to admit this but I use my 495's mostly for gaming. But music, well female vocals is my main use case.post #5 of 76/15/12 at 7:12am
I'd recommend the SRH 940, which you can get for $239.99 off Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH940-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B004MTE7EK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339769306&sr=1-1&keywords=srh+940
The forward upper mids work wonders. Just make sure your head fits. If you need to use the max slider adjustment on anything else, I'd recommend against for comfort reasons.
I've also heard good things about the HD 598 and female vocals, but I've never actually heard one.
What I would really like to recommend would be a used HD 580 or HD 600 for better comfort and scalability, but those require amping to sound their best.post #6 of 76/15/12 at 7:31amThread Starter
I'm not in the market for used. All of these things are available in Singapore at inflated prices, but I will be in NYC in a few days and will visit the fabled B&H. They have the 598 for $250, the DT880 for $235 (yeah, cheaper than the 598). Of course the ATH-M50 is less ($170? same as HD558). They also have the AKG Q701 for $240 - but it doesn't look as plush as the 598.
Will note that my audio source is predominantly MP3 albeit at higher bit rate. They say the 598 is not detailed enough to expose the quantization errors in MP3 and is therefore recommended for that purpose..?post #7 of 76/15/12 at 7:34amThread Starter
oh and I will probably pick up a Fiio E11 at B&H since they have it and it's cheap ($60). B&H wants $150+ for the E17.
I actually have a bunch of unpopulated headphone amp boards back home (OPA2134 thingies). Never got around to soldering those tiny SMD components. so probably the E11 is good enough for the meantime. I think it can drive the 250-ohm DT880 passably as well..
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 28 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › San Jose, CA - Super Mini Meet? 3 minutes ago
- › headphone amp question 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 4 minutes ago
- › Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D by Pokerstar
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)