Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE60 Review and Appreciation Thread ~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE60 Review and Appreciation Thread ~ - Page 3

post #31 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Agreed if you can get a pair of IE8s for the same price you are better off with those. But if you can get a good deal on the IE80s I recommend you get them over the IE8. You can haggle the dealers for a reasonable price. If you need the contact info to the deal I can provide it via PM.


Just in case this gets all blurry... IE80 is the newer model of IE8, there is no noticeable difference nor did Sennheiser advertise of any improvements so whether they REALLY are better... no clue... there is no headfi headphonus supremus review about either of em so we audio noobs might never know :-)

 

Same for IE6 and IE60 by the way. I like my IE60's but if someone would ask me to compare them to IE6 I'd have no idea because I never had IE6... All the technical data on the Sennheiser website is the same for IE6 and IE60 so whatever difference it would have to be in the armature and or parts.

 

Before I bought my IE60's I got all messed up looking at all the reviews and often subjective comments on headfi... I trust the Sennheiser brand, I like their audio signature, the company rep and as such 99% of the products they made. For me that fact played a 50% role in my decision to buy the IE60's. Money and Quality Sound being the other 50%...

post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by petralian View Post


Just in case this gets all blurry... IE80 is the newer model of IE8, there is no noticeable difference nor did Sennheiser advertise of any improvements so whether they REALLY are better... no clue... there is no headfi headphonus supremus review about either of em so we audio noobs might never know :-)

 

Same for IE6 and IE60 by the way. I like my IE60's but if someone would ask me to compare them to IE6 I'd have no idea because I never had IE6... All the technical data on the Sennheiser website is the same for IE6 and IE60 so whatever difference it would have to be in the armature and or parts.

 

Before I bought my IE60's I got all messed up looking at all the reviews and often subjective comments on headfi... I trust the Sennheiser brand, I like their audio signature, the company rep and as such 99% of the products they made. For me that fact played a 50% role in my decision to buy the IE60's. Money and Quality Sound being the other 50%...

 

I owned both the IE8 and IE80 and there is a clear difference. The IE8 has way too much mid bass which ruins the mid-range and takes away from the trebles sparkle (you need to use EQ to get decent sound. The sound stage is also slightly bigger on the IE8. The IE80's mid range is more upfront and clearer. The bass is more focused on sub bass instead of mid bass like the IE8. Also the treble has more sparkle and more detail. IMO I find the IE80 to be a clear upgrade. Whatever Sennheiser did it changed the sound for the better although they won't admit to it.

post #33 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

I owned both the IE8 and IE80 and there is a clear difference. The IE8 has way too much mid bass which ruins the mid-range and takes away from the trebles sparkle (you need to use EQ to get decent sound. The sound stage is also slightly bigger on the IE8. The IE80's mid range is more upfront and clearer. The bass is more focused on sub bass instead of mid bass like the IE8. Also the treble has more sparkle and more detail. IMO I find the IE80 to be a clear upgrade. Whatever Sennheiser did it changed the sound for the better although they won't admit to it.


Oh well that confirms the fact you should not buy an IE6 if the price difference is not much compared to IE60 because for sure the same quality improvement will count for IE60 in that case.

 

Thanks for this Lee730, I have not found this comment anywhere else but this does mean the IE60 and IE80's are improved versions and as such the IE60 cannot be discussed properly or compared to IE6 or IE8 without at least having heard it :-)

 

Was the isolation improved on IE80 too or only sound?


Edited by petralian - 7/15/12 at 8:19pm
post #34 of 72

No the isolation is the same. They just did a facelift with the brushed aluminum. I have never heard the IE6 nor the IE60 so I can't verify if there is any difference between them. I skipped to the IE7 and still desired the IE8/IE80 over it. The IE7 had very nice mids but it's treble was a bit harsh and unrefined compared to the IE8, but its bass was noticeably more controlled than the IE8.
 


Edited by lee730 - 7/15/12 at 8:36pm
post #35 of 72
Thread Starter 

I think same happened on IE6 to IE60... The armature is still very much the same but some small changes had been made like for example now the vent holes are top and bottom instead of side all around.

 

IE6

Sennheiser_IE6_3-1000x800.jpg

 

 

IE60

94|0000222a4|f870_IMG-2586s.jpg

 

 

I certainly hope the IE60 gets some attention by a HS member and gets a proper review. I am so curious to know how it does against other headphones of the price range (250 USD). http://www.sennheiserusa.com/earbud-headphones-ie-60-in-ear-sound-fashion_504769

 

Design wise the IE6 looks far nicer compared to the IE60... that is my only regret for the IE60 hehe.

 

IE60's are obviously meant to wear over ear (as shown on the instruction manual) but even wearing them wire down like normal in ears results in no noticeable difference in sound... They fit either way for me.

post #36 of 72
The main reason people chose to wear cables over the ears is the reduce in microphonics or cable noise.
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

The main reason people chose to wear cables over the ears is the reduce in microphonics or cable noise.


That's probably the biggest reason. But I also feel it will reduce cable wear and tear in the long run as well. It's much more solid and in place in comparison to wearing conventional buds.

post #38 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


That's probably the biggest reason. But I also feel it will reduce cable wear and tear in the long run as well. It's much more solid and in place in comparison to wearing conventional buds.

 

Hmm never looked at it from that perspective... True enough when worn over ears it improves stability, less microphonics too.

post #39 of 72

at what volume do you put it at when using that JLab burn in feature? Do you just leave it at 50%? I thought it was too loud cause I could hear the noise coming from it beside my computer while I was sitting in front of the desk. Is that normal?

post #40 of 72

When I burn in my IEMs I usually put it just above comfortable listening level and maybe even a bit louder but nothing ridiculous.
 

post #41 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

When I burn in my IEMs I usually put it just above comfortable listening level and maybe even a bit louder but nothing ridiculous.
 

 

What Lee said :-) when I burned in my IE60s I had to wrap em in 2 towels and I still could hear the white noise of jlabs...

I put the jlabs player at 50% and my windows volume at 50%. When you put your IE60's in your ears you can stand the noise but it is just too loud and not comfy at all.

post #42 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

thanks for the advice guys..... Im going to the store today, but I have one last question. Is this earphone worth the money? Im  willing to spend a lot of time burning it in and playing music on it at max volume all day. If not, which one do you recommend?


So what did you get? :-)

post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by petralian View Post


So what did you get? :-)

I ended up getting the ie60s :) At first I compared them to my apple earbuds and it sounded not much better which gave me kind of a bad feeling, but I guess I have to get used to it and burn it in for a while

post #44 of 72
Thread Starter 

lol yes I agree, at first they sounded bland to me too... listen again in a few days after some hours of burning in. It's in the details ~ they are a whole different level compared to the apple buds. Check my page one comments and the link to the review by the other person... she also mentioned at first the IE60's sound "normal", but really open up.

 

Do please come back in a few days and let me know if things improved for you and how...


Edited by petralian - 7/17/12 at 1:25am
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by petralian View Post

lol yes I agree, at first they sounded bland to me too... listen again in a few days after some hours of burning in. It's in the details ~ they are a whole different level compared to the apple buds. Check my page one comments and the link to the review by the other person... she also mentioned at first the IE60's sound "normal", but really open up.

 

Do please come back in a few days and let me know if things improved for you and how...

sorry I was taking a look at my previous threads and only saw this now. I listened to them for quite some time and I gotta say I love them. I compared them to my friends monster turbine pro copper which is a 400 dollar IEM and played some songs to compare. The ie60 lacked a bit of bass in electronic music but they are outstanding at rock. The guitar sounds really good, drums have a lot of impact, and the vocals sounded very clear. The monster turbine pro copper stood no chance against the ie60 when listening to rock. I love these IEMs and I wouldn't ever replace them, most of the time I actually listen to them instead of my ath-m50. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE60 Review and Appreciation Thread ~