Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Finally, digital out for Galaxy SIII
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Finally, digital out for Galaxy SIII - Page 3

post #31 of 44
Could you use a powered USB hub for connecting the DragonFly to the Galaxy S3?
 
"One popular question about this DAC is whether it will work with an iPad Camera Connection Kit, as some DACs will. Unfortunately, plugging it results in the "This device uses too much power." warning popping up, so unless one uses a hub, it's not going to work."
 
 
Also a (battery or linear power supply) powered USB hub should improve the DAC sound quality thanks to a clean 5V.
 
"I just added an external linear power supply to the ODAC and the performance improvement is immediate. No longer sounds strained and now the soundstage is nice and wide (I am using speakers not headphones). Overall 'clinical' quality is still there but certainly could be due to other factors. So power is definitely a factor in my case."
"I used this usb extension."
 
Small powered USB hub:
 
A small powered USB hub can be powered by some slim battery pack:
 
A battery-powered USB hub can also power the Galaxy S3 on the go.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz View Post

Doesn't work just tried today.

My S3 using siyah kernel and Slim rom (ICS) going to flash to JB and try again see if there any luck.

Also I'm waiting for another OTG cable better than current one.

If I'm not mistaken, Slim is a modified version of CM9 or CM10.  Sadly, at this time no AOSP or AOKP ROM will support USB audio output.  You'd need to flash a Touchwiz based ROM to try out any DAC.  

 

I imagine the Dragonfly will require more power than the USB out provides, but who knows.

post #33 of 44

Just a quick update:  I got another i9300 (international) S3 for my wife.  I can still get the Pico DAC/Amp to work with it.  Sometimes it takes ten or more attempts though.  It's annoying to go through, but it can work.

post #34 of 44

Just updated my international one to official Jelly Bean last night (niiice!), should get a chance to test my Pico with it again this evening.

post #35 of 44

so is anyone using a S3 + E17 right now?

post #36 of 44

I just want to report back on a few things.  It seems my exclusive luck with the Pico has run out.  It usually doesn't work now.  I'm not sure what changed.  Thankfully, I now have an HRT Headstreamer and a $10 resistor adapter that I got on Ebay from a store in Hong Kong.  The Headstreamer works without issue every time.  So far, I've only compared it with the Pico once.  I didn't hear anything that the Pico did better.  But the Headstreamer had a considerably more expansive soundstage and was possibly more detailed.  It only sounds $130 in regards to noise floor.  It's roughly as loud as that of the stock S3 jack.  But that's where that resistor adapter comes in to play.  It eliminates the noise problem of both the Headstreamer and the stock jack.

post #37 of 44

Just tried it with the JH3A today it works but the 3A kills the phone's battery real fast.

as to the dragonfly I don't have powered hub that I can steal or borrow so may be I'll try when I found one that I can steal. lol

 

side note: I swapped to use WanamLite rom which is a sammy modded rom sadly a CM10 kernel/core rom/framework don't have a required audio out driver. so if you use CM10 based its time to flash.


Edited by Tamz - 10/22/12 at 7:05am
post #38 of 44

So is there a Mini USB LOD cable, or is the standard cable being used as an import source to a DAC?

post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamz View Post

Just tried it with the JH3A today it works but the 3A kills the phone's battery real fast.

as to the dragonfly I don't have powered hub that I can steal or borrow so may be I'll try when I found one that I can steal. lol

 

side note: I swapped to use WanamLite rom which is a sammy modded rom sadly a CM10 kernel/core rom/framework don't have a required audio out driver. so if you use CM10 based its time to flash.

I'm glad to hear that the 3A works with the S3.  It's sad that Cyanogenmod doesn't have USB audio support.  Thankfully, the Siyah kernel with dual boot allows one to use CM10 based ROMs anyhow.  It's pretty awesome to have two excellent but totally different ROMs to use, each just a reboot away. 

post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnotis View Post

I just want to report back on a few things.  It seems my exclusive luck with the Pico has run out.  It usually doesn't work now.  I'm not sure what changed.  Thankfully, I now have an HRT Headstreamer and a $10 resistor adapter that I got on Ebay from a store in Hong Kong.  The Headstreamer works without issue every time.  So far, I've only compared it with the Pico once.  I didn't hear anything that the Pico did better.  But the Headstreamer had a considerably more expansive soundstage and was possibly more detailed.  It only sounds $130 in regards to noise floor.  It's roughly as loud as that of the stock S3 jack.  But that's where that resistor adapter comes in to play.  It eliminates the noise problem of both the Headstreamer and the stock jack.

I plan on going the same route as you for a portable DAC setup on my S3 international as my Audio GD is not well supported.

 

What is this $10 resistor you are referring to? I'll be sure to grab that too (hopefully from a US seller) as I order the Headstreamer this week.

 

Regards

post #41 of 44

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/281009593372?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item416d7a1c1c

 

This is what you want.  It takes a while to ship from Hong Kong.  But it's very much worth the $11 and the wait.  It turns the Headstreamer into something special.  Of course, if you don't have IEMs, then the noise floor won't be an issue anyhow.

post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnotis View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/281009593372?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item416d7a1c1c

This is what you want.  It takes a while to ship from Hong Kong.  But it's very much worth the $11 and the wait.  It turns the Headstreamer into something special.  Of course, if you don't have IEMs, then the noise floor won't be an issue anyhow.

Thank you for the reply mate!

Forgive me for being a noob and asking another dumb question.

I do not have a IEM at the moment. What about if i decide to drive my pair of HD650's instead? I see that seller has the option of other impedances beside 75ohm.

Regards
post #43 of 44

Those resistors are only for IEM use.  They'd be pointless even with a very efficient full size set of headphones.  With the 650s, noise floor is least of your worries.  Finding a portable amp with enough juice to keep them from sounding totally veiled would be the concern.  

post #44 of 44

So, to use this with a desktop or portable are you saying to just use with the headphone out to the amp or another type of Lod? Is the SIII a good source or would a clip+ be better

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Finally, digital out for Galaxy SIII