Currently, I listen to my music through my Galaxy S (the original with the Wolfson) with the Voodoo sound enhancements. Sadly, my phone is dying and I'm looking to go to an older Blackberry (because I love the keyboard, I mainly use my phone for music and texting). I still want great sound quality though. Is there an audio player for $50 or less that's as good as or better than my phone? Thanks!!Also, I have about 20 GB of songs (FLAC and such) so it needs to have space.
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSamsung Galaxy S I9000GT 8GBtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSandisk Sansa Clip 8GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSanDisk Sansa Fuze V2tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- [resolved] Portable music @ 400$ , SQ being the main preference here. Last post on 7/12/12 at 6:29pm in Portable Source Gear
- Small, music only DAP. Last post on 7/16/10 at 6:35am in Portable Source Gear
- Sansa Fuze V2 Rockbox has better SQ than Clip+ Rockbox Last post on 7/12/10 at 2:14am in Portable Source Gear
- Help.Need a Recommendation for a Portable Source! Last post on 9/17/12 at 5:32pm in Portable Source Gear
- So my Cowon iAUDIO 7 died.... Last post on 8/20/12 at 3:03am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
I got the honour of being part of the C1 World Tour . Whatever I did, thank you! It’s not every day that 3 new products from the same manufacturer arrive on your doorstep. I have the...
The Zpre is a dated small form factor preamp from Parasound, that also happens to be a great headphone amplifier. It comes with the Burr Brown 2134 Opamp for those that care for this type of...
Campfire Audio Vega – initial impressions As you will know if you read my recent review on the Lyra II, I have recently been lucky enough to get the chance to hear the three newest models...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair of...
What a great headphone! Disclaimer: at my house to get any head time at all, you've got to match up with the Sennheiser HD800, PSB M4U 1, Klipsch Status, HiFiMan RE-262, and others. In short, the...
Cheap upgrade from Galaxy S?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Out of curiosity; In order to upgrade from a SGS, what options are we talking about if we restrict to music players? I actually enjoy the sound of my SGS but I guess I am looking for even more if it´s possible.
Edited by zeralda21 - 6/14/12 at 5:32pm
The SGS's sound quality is far superior than anything that Sansa is selling right now. I'd say any player that's an upgrade from the SGS is the RoCoo and the HiFi-Man players. Neither will give you the GUI that the Android OS has.
You literally cannot best its versatility, except with a better android with voodoo capabilities.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
Don't forget about the app, "Sound Wire". You run the server app on your computer, whatever plays on your computer will play over WiFi on your phone. It constantly streams about 1.44 mbps over your WiFi, but is pretty convenient.
What exactly do you mean by "dying"? You sure it's not just the battery? (I've kinda gotten used to Apple people prematurely trading in their stuff all because of busted batteries that you can't take out yourself, so I really had to ask)
If it's the battery, I've managed to keep charging cycles down. I have 3, one spare charger that I use as a battery holder, and the third battery's in a ziplock bag. All still going strong since I cycle them and I don't leave the Wi-Fi and BT on all the time. My laptop (work) bag and my casual camera bag always has one of the spares, each, and when the battery dies I get one from there and charge the empty one in the spare charger. I very rarely plug in the phone for charging.
In any case, if it's not the battery and you really prefer a physical keypad, Sansa will be your best bet at that price point.
You can buy an extended battery for like sub-$20. Stock OEM batteries are like sub-$10.
When I was using the SGS as a network device, I had all of the music on the SGS. I was controlling it remotely via VNC server, and I could add/delete songs via AirDroid.
I'd vote for the Fuze as well. Nice size and the little bit of extra screen and battery life are nice. I really enjoyed mine until it broke. Sandisk offers no replacement parts or out of warranty repairs BTW.
- Cheap upgrade from Galaxy S?
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 33 seconds ago
- › Good Bass without totally artifical mids and highs 46 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 3 minutes ago
- › Metal Head Brother's First Real Pair of Full-Size Cans 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by mark2410
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by bartzky
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphone - Black by MICHAELSD
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by flinkenick
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear