Currently, I listen to my music through my Galaxy S (the original with the Wolfson) with the Voodoo sound enhancements. Sadly, my phone is dying and I'm looking to go to an older Blackberry (because I love the keyboard, I mainly use my phone for music and texting). I still want great sound quality though. Is there an audio player for $50 or less that's as good as or better than my phone? Thanks!!Also, I have about 20 GB of songs (FLAC and such) so it needs to have space.
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 6/14/12
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSamsung Galaxy S I9000GT 8GBtagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSandisk Sansa Clip 8GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/12
- productSanDisk Sansa Fuze V2tagged by System, 6/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- [resolved] Portable music @ 400$ , SQ being the main preference here. Last post on 7/12/12 at 6:29pm in Portable Source Gear
- Small, music only DAP. Last post on 7/16/10 at 6:35am in Portable Source Gear
- Sansa Fuze V2 Rockbox has better SQ than Clip+ Rockbox Last post on 7/12/10 at 2:14am in Portable Source Gear
- Help.Need a Recommendation for a Portable Source! Last post on 9/17/12 at 5:32pm in Portable Source Gear
- So my Cowon iAUDIO 7 died.... Last post on 8/20/12 at 3:03am in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Last edited: 12/28/12
This is the veteran ex-flagship model of FitEar／須山補聴器 before the Mitsuharu Harada series (MH335DW) which was announced not long ago. It is a 5 drivers (2 highs, 2 mids 1 low woofer) 4 way crossover...
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
Cheap upgrade from Galaxy S?
Out of curiosity; In order to upgrade from a SGS, what options are we talking about if we restrict to music players? I actually enjoy the sound of my SGS but I guess I am looking for even more if it´s possible.
Edited by zeralda21 - 6/14/12 at 5:32pm
The SGS's sound quality is far superior than anything that Sansa is selling right now. I'd say any player that's an upgrade from the SGS is the RoCoo and the HiFi-Man players. Neither will give you the GUI that the Android OS has.
You literally cannot best its versatility, except with a better android with voodoo capabilities.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
Don't forget about the app, "Sound Wire". You run the server app on your computer, whatever plays on your computer will play over WiFi on your phone. It constantly streams about 1.44 mbps over your WiFi, but is pretty convenient.
What exactly do you mean by "dying"? You sure it's not just the battery? (I've kinda gotten used to Apple people prematurely trading in their stuff all because of busted batteries that you can't take out yourself, so I really had to ask)
If it's the battery, I've managed to keep charging cycles down. I have 3, one spare charger that I use as a battery holder, and the third battery's in a ziplock bag. All still going strong since I cycle them and I don't leave the Wi-Fi and BT on all the time. My laptop (work) bag and my casual camera bag always has one of the spares, each, and when the battery dies I get one from there and charge the empty one in the spare charger. I very rarely plug in the phone for charging.
In any case, if it's not the battery and you really prefer a physical keypad, Sansa will be your best bet at that price point.
You can buy an extended battery for like sub-$20. Stock OEM batteries are like sub-$10.
When I was using the SGS as a network device, I had all of the music on the SGS. I was controlling it remotely via VNC server, and I could add/delete songs via AirDroid.
I'd vote for the Fuze as well. Nice size and the little bit of extra screen and battery life are nice. I really enjoyed mine until it broke. Sandisk offers no replacement parts or out of warranty repairs BTW.
- Cheap upgrade from Galaxy S?
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 25 seconds ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a closed headphone for schiit Bifrost Lyr combo 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 3 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp 3 minutes ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 4 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by TheLastDevil
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi