Currently, I listen to my music through my Galaxy S (the original with the Wolfson) with the Voodoo sound enhancements. Sadly, my phone is dying and I'm looking to go to an older Blackberry (because I love the keyboard, I mainly use my phone for music and texting). I still want great sound quality though. Is there an audio player for $50 or less that's as good as or better than my phone? Thanks!!Also, I have about 20 GB of songs (FLAC and such) so it needs to have space.
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSamsung Galaxy S I9000GT 8GBtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSandisk Sansa Clip 8GB MP3 Player (Black)tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSanDisk Sansa Fuze V2tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- [resolved] Portable music @ 400$ , SQ being the main preference here. Last post on 7/12/12 at 6:29pm in Portable Source Gear
- Small, music only DAP. Last post on 7/16/10 at 6:35am in Portable Source Gear
- Sansa Fuze V2 Rockbox has better SQ than Clip+ Rockbox Last post on 7/12/10 at 2:14am in Portable Source Gear
- Help.Need a Recommendation for a Portable Source! Last post on 9/17/12 at 5:32pm in Portable Source Gear
- So my Cowon iAUDIO 7 died.... Last post on 8/20/12 at 3:03am in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Last edited: 12/28/12
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
Cheap upgrade from Galaxy S?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Out of curiosity; In order to upgrade from a SGS, what options are we talking about if we restrict to music players? I actually enjoy the sound of my SGS but I guess I am looking for even more if it´s possible.
Edited by zeralda21 - 6/14/12 at 5:32pm
The SGS's sound quality is far superior than anything that Sansa is selling right now. I'd say any player that's an upgrade from the SGS is the RoCoo and the HiFi-Man players. Neither will give you the GUI that the Android OS has.
You literally cannot best its versatility, except with a better android with voodoo capabilities.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
Don't forget about the app, "Sound Wire". You run the server app on your computer, whatever plays on your computer will play over WiFi on your phone. It constantly streams about 1.44 mbps over your WiFi, but is pretty convenient.
What exactly do you mean by "dying"? You sure it's not just the battery? (I've kinda gotten used to Apple people prematurely trading in their stuff all because of busted batteries that you can't take out yourself, so I really had to ask)
If it's the battery, I've managed to keep charging cycles down. I have 3, one spare charger that I use as a battery holder, and the third battery's in a ziplock bag. All still going strong since I cycle them and I don't leave the Wi-Fi and BT on all the time. My laptop (work) bag and my casual camera bag always has one of the spares, each, and when the battery dies I get one from there and charge the empty one in the spare charger. I very rarely plug in the phone for charging.
In any case, if it's not the battery and you really prefer a physical keypad, Sansa will be your best bet at that price point.
You can buy an extended battery for like sub-$20. Stock OEM batteries are like sub-$10.
When I was using the SGS as a network device, I had all of the music on the SGS. I was controlling it remotely via VNC server, and I could add/delete songs via AirDroid.
I'd vote for the Fuze as well. Nice size and the little bit of extra screen and battery life are nice. I really enjoyed mine until it broke. Sandisk offers no replacement parts or out of warranty repairs BTW.
- Cheap upgrade from Galaxy S?
- › IC: Melbourne Meet just now
- › Which Headphones To Buy For PC-Based Music Listening 22 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 47 seconds ago
- › Replacement Driver units for Denon D2000/5000/7000 or Fostex 600/900 49 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 1 minute ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ Appreciation thread. Opinions, reviews,... 2 minutes ago
- › How to find a low priced Chinese version of any super expensive DAC? 2 minutes ago
- › DAC for my PC desktop (headphones and active monitor too) 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude