- 21,773 Posts. Joined 4/2005
- Location: Chicagoland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/11/12
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 6/11/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/11/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 6/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 6/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for movies Last post on 11/20/12 at 3:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommended open/close headphones for Vocal trance Last post on 11/1/12 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions from current & former owners of ATH - AD2000 headphones? Last post on 9/6/12 at 2:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- DT990 600 ohm vs. HE-400 Last post on 10/19/14 at 4:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I want to shout out to Mark (Head-Fier d marc0) for working with Ken Ball from...
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Sennheiser HD700 Review - Page 7post #91 of 2236/17/12 at 6:29amI heard them yesterday at the Chicago meet, and while meet conditions are not ideal, I heard enough to know that they are not my cup of tea.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 2236/17/12 at 7:53am
Purrin + LFF: Thanks for the writeup! I enjoyed it very much. With all the hand-wringing around here regarding the HD700, it's nice to see an even-handed, straight-forward interpretation.
Of the group who got a "sneak peak" from Sennheiser, I believe I may have enjoyed the HD700 more than most. Yet here it is, available for purchase, and I'm not all that interested. I did recently pick up the HiFiMAN HE400 and Ultrasone Signature Pro, and was not tempted to choose HD700 over either of those. I guess that says something.
There are still some aspects of the HD700 that I think Sennheiser did a fantastic job on. Comfort, for example, was superb (at least to my big head). It's easy to overlook a non-audible attribute like that, until you find yourself unable to enjoy an otherwise great sounding headphone because it causes physical pain.post #93 of 2236/17/12 at 8:53amThread Starter
We didn't touch the comfort aspect, but both LFF and I felt the HD700 was extremely comfortable. The extra cushion under the headband was a nice touch over the HD800 - I have a little vestigal bump on the top of my head from my Klingon genes - so that helped a lot.post #94 of 2236/17/12 at 2:54pmpost #95 of 2236/19/12 at 1:24ampost #96 of 2236/19/12 at 5:25pmpost #97 of 2236/19/12 at 5:50pmpost #98 of 2236/24/12 at 5:02am
Love this post, Purrin and LFF go to great lengths (along with many others) to help the headfi community, so.... no need to defend your love for the HD700, better to read their many other threads and better understand the amount of gear they have heard. I don't know either of them, but these impressions based on their body of work here and elsewhere is enough that I am certain the HD700 isn't for me. Sorry for the rant.Quote:Originally Posted by MuppetFace
Plenty of people join head-fi before they buy headphones to become informed consumers. Alternatively those with more experience join to socialize and talk about the hobby. It's just a little suspect when someone registers for the sake of talking about a single pair of headphones and nothing else. I'm not saying you are a shill or sockpuppet, but you're giving off that vibe.
When someone with only five posts under his belt starts criticizing the review of an experienced head-fier, it's going to raise a few eyebrows for better or worse. Especially when it's not entirely clear just how many other headphones said person has even listened to himself before going on the defensive over the HD700.
Anyway, I don't want to derail purrin's thread. His review is quite good in my opinion, and he clearly lists his gear in his profile.post #99 of 2236/24/12 at 9:24ampost #100 of 2236/24/12 at 9:39ampost #101 of 2236/24/12 at 9:56am
Wrote out a long post but it disappeared when I switched tabs...so here is the abbreviated version. I am a sennheiser fanboy. Looking at either HD700 or HD800. Have less than ideal setup, am building it piece by piece. I'm fine that my Xonar STX wont be perfect for the HD800. If I purchase either of these I will be EQing them, HD700 to rid of sibilance, HD800 to add bass. My question, have any of you tried EQing either of these? Has it been successful? I like the look of the 700 but the 800 I can get from colorware which makes up for that (I am picky on looks of my tech even though it is never showcased). HD700 is how much I was planning on spending, but if the HD800 makes more sense SQ wise then I will shell out for the colorware version. 3-5 hour drive to audition them, hope to do so in a month's time. Thanks for the input, and thanks for the review!post #102 of 2236/24/12 at 11:30amThread Starter
EQ on HD800 works and it's easy to do by ear. Parametric EQ is a must. Instead of adding bass, I would trying use a -3db treble shelving filter past 6-7kHz and also notch down the 5.5-6k peak down 3db with a Q of 5-7 (narrow).post #103 of 2236/24/12 at 2:44pm
Thanks for the awesome review purrin! I must have read it about 10 times before I auditioned and finally pulled the trigger on the HD700. I had a good idea of what to expected when I first auditioned them but like everything else, I needed a couple of good listens to decide whether or not they were for me. Reviews like this are very much appreciated by myself and I bet many more that are new or relatively new, or even experienced with the headphone game.post #104 of 2236/24/12 at 2:55pmQuote:
Thanks for the reply! hoping to audition soon =)post #105 of 2237/1/12 at 9:00am
When you compared the hd 700 to the grado rs1 was the grado the original rs1 or the the newer rs1i model.Which to my understanding has asomewhat different voicing in the treble range apparently beeing less splotlighted.I have a set of the rs1i phones which I do not listen to much these days because they are more colored sounding than either my akg 701s or my audeze lcd2 rev2.
I would have liked to see a comparison of the hd700 with the akg 701.
- Sennheiser HD700 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Band Name Game II 34 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 43 seconds ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 56 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 58 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia impressions and discussion 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic dt-770 250/600 ohm upgrade, 300-500$+ 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...