Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › new to Head-Fi.. trying to decide between Gr07, Gr01, DBA-02, ATH CKM500, FXT90, EPH-100 and maybe RE-262. all opinions appreciated
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new to Head-Fi.. trying to decide between Gr07, Gr01, DBA-02, ATH CKM500, FXT90, EPH-100 and... - Page 2

post #16 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xer0x View Post

I've had the DBA02 and currently own the CKM500.

I suspect you'll find the DBA02 too bass light for your taste, to varying degrees, which would probably mean (going from what others have said on these forums) that the GR01 - which has a very similar sound to the DBA02 - would be bass light as well.

The CKM500 might be worth a punt: 1) they're less than $80 shipped 2) you'll have something to use as a basis for comparison, instead of having to imagine everything in the abstract 3) you can probably sell them on pretty easily if you really hate them.

 

Anyway, I think in the end most of us end up buying our IEMs without the conclusive finality of being able to say, yes, this was definitely the one for me! It's impossible to make these decisions without some leap of faith, as it were. The best we can do is eliminate those we think we know we won't like... and then pick one and hope for the best. redface.gif

  Hello Xerox, thx for contributing. As an owner of both the DBA and CKM500 sets, can you give a brief comparison between the highs on these. I hear the DBA sounds terrific up high but like you have affirmed.. is a bit shy on the bass end which I wouldn't like. How would you compare the highs on the CKM.. are they good, clear, crisp, extended? Ever since I read Dsnuts appreciation thread on these, they've been high on my list (he's quite the salesman heh).

 

  Also I totally agree with your last paragraph, however I just want to add that I'm trying to make the most informed and educated "leap of faith" that I possibly can. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuredreamz View Post

Well I have TF10, DBA02 (Brainwavz B2) and Sennheiser IE60. And my source is also Cowon Z2.

I'd say if you can get the perfect fit, you should go with the TF10, they have everything you want - crisp high, good bass, sweet mids and very good soundstage. Also I don't feel that the TF10 is that V-shaped, just the mids are not forwarded as others.

The DBA02s provide very good details, very clear and crispy with little bass. Way too crispy sometimes, so I would not recommend them for rock/metal fans.

  Ok, have to ask quick off topic.. how do you like the Z2 for audio quality. Are you happy with it overall, any beefs? Mine is on back order and it's killing me!

 

  Ok guys, so using a bit of everyone's knowledge here I am confidently able to cross off the DBA and the GR01 off the list as I do want some quality bass punch. I'm also thinking the EPH-100's aren't for me even though I hear they are great phones, I have read from multiple owners that the top end can have a strange flavor. So that narrows my list to the FXT-90's (the last 2 sentences of Eke2k6's above post has me concerned about the FXT's.. "the sub-bass extension and rumble of the GR07 trumps them by a mile." and "It's also quite aggressive in the treble, so if you like your music loud...beware" and I do like it loud!!, the ATH-CKM500 is also a contender (worried about the highs), GR07 (again the highs), and the RE-262 which I am very curious how the bass matches up with the FXT or the GR07 plus I'm apprehensive about committing to an IEM that really needs an amp. Although if it's the best option I might go for it. Djchase brought up the Triple Fi's and they may be a good recommend but I have to admit here that I haven't had much luck with anything Logitech (they are made by Logictech aren't they?) over the years, I've managed to break keyboards, mice, speakers, and a host of other peripherals from this company (and I won't even start on their software).. I am biased against them and the quality of their products. It may just be a personal thing but it would feel too much like dating an old girlfriend again that has only brought pain and strife into my life lol.. I just can't let it happen again.

 

  Again you guys here are the best and I am taking in everything you guys are throwing at me. Thank you all.

post #17 of 38

I personally have no qualms with turning the FXT90 up. It all has to do with your personal attenuation to treble, really. I find that the forwardness really brings climaxes of particular songs to the forefront, especially if you like your solos. I feel that the bass is perfectly balanced, though the least quantity of the three frequencies, I came for the midrange and treble, after all, even having a drumming fetish, I'm a pretty pure metal-head, haha! So subbass rumble doesn't matter AS much.

 

I think dweaver has a pair up for $56 on the FS forum. With the recent deal of 2 for $99 from futureshop, a bunch of people are selling the FXTs for cheap on there, and it's a better time than ever to try them out.

 

I do admit that I've been wanting to try the GR07 and the DBA for a while, however.

 

Kwang has also posted a CKM500 vs FXT90 impression in the FXT90 appreciation thread, if you haven't seen it already.


Edited by vaed - 6/13/12 at 9:35pm
post #18 of 38

I've loved and used DBA-02's exclusively for several years (had two pair for a while), and now also have FXT90's. It took some time to get used to the stronger bass of the FXT90's after all that DBA time, as well as some tip experimentation to find the best sound signature balance for my tastes. These days I nearly always pick up the FXT90's first and find them extremely comfortable (as are the DBA's in my ears). I prefer to wear them over-ear and settled on short double flange tips (from the MEElec M11+ set) as my favorites to moderate the mid-bass hump while maintaining the lovely treble detail, sparkle and great mids. The OEM JVC tips (one size larger than I normally use) and Radioshack hybrid tips are also effective and give a bit more bass "bite" if that's your preference.

 

These FXT90's are easy to drive from all my sources, engaging, fun, durable, comfortable, have an excellent cord and don't give up anything anywhere in the sound spectrum that I can hear. That said, there are some interesting comments in the MEElec A161P Appreciation Thread that suggests they are an interesting option.

post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrost View Post

I've loved and used DBA-02's exclusively for several years (had two pair for a while), and now also have FXT90's. It took some time to get used to the stronger bass of the FXT90's after all that DBA time, as well as some tip experimentation to find the best sound signature balance for my tastes. These days I nearly always pick up the FXT90's first and find them extremely comfortable (as are the DBA's in my ears). I prefer to wear them over-ear and settled on short double flange tips (from the MEElec M11+ set) as my favorites to moderate the mid-bass hump while maintaining the lovely treble detail, sparkle and great mids. The OEM JVC tips (one size larger than I normally use) and Radioshack hybrid tips are also effective and give a bit more bass "bite" if that's your preference.

 

These FXT90's are easy to drive from all my sources, engaging, fun, durable, comfortable, have an excellent cord and don't give up anything anywhere in the sound spectrum that I can hear. That said, there are some interesting comments in the MEElec A161P Appreciation Thread that suggests they are an interesting option.


I'm not sure why you underlined "stronger bass." From everything I've seen, it wouldn't be very difficult to have stronger bass than the DBA-02.

post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone View Post

 So that narrows my list to the FXT-90's (the last 2 sentences of Eke2k6's above post has me concerned about the FXT's.. "the sub-bass extension and rumble of the GR07 trumps them by a mile." and "It's also quite aggressive in the treble, so if you like your music loud...beware" and I do like it loud!!

 

The difference between the FXT90 and GR07 in the bass to my ears (this is by memory but I a/b'ed A LOT between these two iems to decide which one to keep):

 

The GR07 has about a decibel or two bump in sub-bass and about a decibel or two less in mid-bass compared to the FXT90. The difference is by no means drastic to my ears, as I only heard it as a couple decibels at most. 

 

ericp10 had a long battle to determine which iems between these two was best at drums and it was very very close. I think he ended up going with the GR07 by a hair, and I agree with him.

 

But ultimately the difference in treble between the GR07 and FXT90 sounded larger to me than the differences in bass, and I much preferred the more emphasized top end of the FXT's, even at quite loud volume. To me, the treble sounds almost as emphasized as the DBA02 but with slightly less detail. That kind of emphasis to me makes rock guitars like in Disturbed and Metallica songs have a nice hard edge (imho) and high pitched solos really sing. Others might call it fatiguing which is totally their right. Everyone has their opinions. Mine is that the GR07 rounded out the edges on electric guitars, cymbals and violins and they they never quite had the crash, crunch, or extra shimmer that I wanted, or that I thought sounded more like the real thing. That's my personal experience with those iems and if you desire treble then go for the FXT.

 

I would actually say get both and decide for yourself which to keep and then you'll know for sure. But the FXT is much cheaper on the forums right now. 

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

I'm not sure why you underlined "stronger bass." From everything I've seen, it wouldn't be very difficult to have stronger bass than the DBA-02.

The underline was in contrast to your comment about FXT90's being bass light. No argument that many IEM's have more bass than DBA's, which I found to have a nice balance across the spectrum.

 

My bottom line would be that both DBA-02's and FXT90's are really listenable, agreeably IEM's, and they have distinctly different sound signatures.

post #22 of 38

Look, I'm not saying that the FXT90 is a bad iem. I just think that's it's a crappy value because of my experience with the $20 JVC FX40. I challenge any FXT90 owner to order a pair of them to compare. If you find them not to be 80-90% of the sound, I'll personally send you half the price of the FX40 via paypal gift.

 

As for the OP, unless you have budget constraints, I recommend you get both the GR07 and FXT90. You can get both of them for around $200 in the current market conditions. If not, try the CKM500 for $74 imported from Japan via EMS.

post #23 of 38
As soon as I read you are picky with guitar and drums I immediately thought of GR07. I've not heard the FXT90 but the GR07 does drums and guitar bite like nothing else I've heard and I believe this is the general consensus (well drums anyway). If you cannot do as eke suggests and get both then you could always take the path a lot of us have and pick up numerous cheap IEM's with different signatures to really nail what you like and go from there. Not a quick solution I know but more fun wink.gif

You could get say a Philips SHE3580 for 'V' shaped, a GR06 for mid, and.....well I'm not sure for analytical?
post #24 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

As for the OP, unless you have budget constraints, I recommend you get both the GR07 and FXT90. You can get both of them for around $200 in the current market conditions. If not, try the CKM500 for $74 imported from Japan via EMS.

I think this is what's going to happen. I'm going to get both of them. I'll start one at a time though and give myself time to really get to know the first set before I go for the next. I'm super curious about the 262 also after your recommend. Everyone says they are really good. I might invest in these as well down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

But ultimately the difference in treble between the GR07 and FXT90 sounded larger to me than the differences in bass, and I much preferred the more emphasized top end of the FXT's, even at quite loud volume. To me, the treble sounds almost as emphasized as the DBA02 but with slightly less detail. That kind of emphasis to me makes rock guitars like in Disturbed and Metallica songs have a nice hard edge (imho) and high pitched solos really sing. Others might call it fatiguing which is totally their right. Everyone has their opinions. Mine is that the GR07 rounded out the edges on electric guitars, cymbals and violins and they they never quite had the crash, crunch, or extra shimmer that I wanted, or that I thought sounded more like the real thing. That's my personal experience with those iems and if you desire treble then go for the FXT.

 

I would actually say get both and decide for yourself which to keep and then you'll know for sure. But the FXT is much cheaper on the forums right now. 

I keep reading posts that mirror this opinion and it has me just about sold. Gnarls I read through some of your posts deep in the FXT apprec. thread and it sounds like the best first choice for me. I'm thinking the FXT's are going to be my first IEM's. Then in a a good few months I'll pick up the GR07's (or hell may be something better will be out) so I can give them a good side by side and see which one is better suited for my tastes. Right now though.. I'm sold on the FXT's and as I just found out my Z2 is due here tomorrow, I'm going to order them!

post #25 of 38

Rockit Sounds R-50, a more musical sounding version of the DBA-02 (I'm such a fanboy).

post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone View Post

I think this is what's going to happen. I'm going to get both of them. I'll start one at a time though and give myself time to really get to know the first set before I go for the next. I'm super curious about the 262 also after your recommend. Everyone says they are really good. I might invest in these as well down the line.
I keep reading posts that mirror this opinion and it has me just about sold. Gnarls I read through some of your posts deep in the FXT apprec. thread and it sounds like the best first choice for me. I'm thinking the FXT's are going to be my first IEM's. Then in a a good few months I'll pick up the GR07's (or hell may be something better will be out) so I can give them a good side by side and see which one is better suited for my tastes. Right now though.. I'm sold on the FXT's and as I just found out my Z2 is due here tomorrow, I'm going to order them!

Before you commit to the fxt90's I actually reccomens you take a look at some of the early fxd70/80 impressions in the respective thread. It looks to be a more refined version of the fxt90, with a overall balanced sound signature, where the 70's appear to have harder bass and in-your-face presentation where as the fxd80s appears to have a strong trebleand fuller mids compared to the 90s. It might be worth your while to wait on further impressions, as I'm considering getting them, as they're also fairly priced and expand Off the same technology that make the fxt90 and fx40 great iems.

And eke, I'm one of those people that admitted to the greatness of the fx40s, and though I still think they're an awesome deal, the stronger bass I'm starting to notice sucks away some of the life out of the guitar driven metal songs by being a tad overbearing, especially given the prominent double bass and blast beats and the less present mids on the 40.. The amount of 'fullness' and upfrontness in the mids and treble are enough to pull me back towards the fxt90s, which is a difference to me regardless of price. These 40s are still my babies, though, when I'm listening to edm or anything substantially bass driven (thats not to say the 90s aren't versatile, however). I think it might be a combination of your love for subbass, it's strength in the 40s, and your sound sig preference (brightness in the 90s and bass in back) in general that leads you to the 40s, which I understand. Not accusing you of callin it a bad iem or even that the fx40 ISN'T the value you say (I'm not experienced enough to accurately quantify technical difference ratios), but given how the phones are tuned to my ears, the 90s have their substantial edge, in my opinion.
Edited by vaed - 6/14/12 at 11:25pm
post #27 of 38

I have the gr07's and I couldn't recommend them enough. The drums reproduction on them is something that has to be heard dt880smile.png It really doesn't do anything wrong, all types of music sound good on it.

post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone View Post

I think this is what's going to happen. I'm going to get both of them. I'll start one at a time though and give myself time to really get to know the first set before I go for the next. I'm super curious about the 262 also after your recommend. Everyone says they are really good. I might invest in these as well down the line.

I keep reading posts that mirror this opinion and it has me just about sold. Gnarls I read through some of your posts deep in the FXT apprec. thread and it sounds like the best first choice for me. I'm thinking the FXT's are going to be my first IEM's. Then in a a good few months I'll pick up the GR07's (or hell may be something better will be out) so I can give them a good side by side and see which one is better suited for my tastes. Right now though.. I'm sold on the FXT's and as I just found out my Z2 is due here tomorrow, I'm going to order them!

 

Do yourself a favor, and get the JVC FX40 at the same time.

 

@vaed, 

 

It's true that I have my preferences. I love when instruments sound like when I play them in real life. The problem with the FXT90 is that it overly emphasizes the treble, especially at higher volumes. I'm no stranger to sibilance because of my GR07, but this is on a whole new level. I'd put the frequency ratio like this for the FXT90: 45% highs, 30% mids, and 25% bass. I could see how you might prefer the way it would put details more upfront, but I suggest checking out the GR07 if you really want to hear guitar crunch.

 

As for technicality, I still say they're within 5-15% of each other.


Edited by eke2k6 - 6/15/12 at 5:56am
post #29 of 38

To the OP, i recently stated that i have identical sound signature requirements as you and i was also looking at buying a good IEM.
well, i pulled the trigger on the re262 (after months of researching)
to me, vocals and a wide soundstage are the most important attributes, so i picked an IEM accordingly.
If you love Vocals - Go re-262, needs amp
If you love Details - Go Etymotic or re-0
If you want a laid back signature - Go vsonic GR07
Depending on your player/source, you will probably be able to EQ the sound you are after, but try and pick what is most accurate to what you think is important (to set the foundation) and youl find you wont regret your decision :)
 

post #30 of 38
Djchase why not FXT90? Details plus bass...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › new to Head-Fi.. trying to decide between Gr07, Gr01, DBA-02, ATH CKM500, FXT90, EPH-100 and maybe RE-262. all opinions appreciated