Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701 - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by e19650826 View Post

it feels so wrong to not mention DT880 when a discussion involves both 701 and 650... oh well...

Okay. OP, go spend five minutes looking at the Beyer DT880. Then buy the Sennheisers. tongue.gif

This might be helpful (more seriously):
http://www.headfonia.com/old-school-trio-akg-k701-beyer-dt880-sennheiser-hd650/

I roughly agree with his "findings" that the Sennheiser are the best all-rounder for most people; I haven't heard the 880 but I have never heard a Beyer that I've liked, so take that in mind. The K701 *are* very good for what they are, and if you like their sound, they're heavenly until you find something more analytical, faster, or otherwise superior (this is usually in the form of an electrostat or a *very* expensive dynamic). And even with that superior phone, the Sennheisers are still "good" - really they're just unoffensive and can wade into anything and at least do a half-decent job. I still think the $500 price tag is a bit nutty. But the times are a'changin.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanseAmador View Post

I don't listen to a lot of metal though, Just Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, etc. I do not like Scream BTW. I will go for Senns, but HD600 or HD650??

I'm talking of fast paced , and charged music, that the senn under 500$ ( to avoid "mid-fi" term ) doesn't handle that well (according to some feedback) . I only got experience with the hd595, and I found them often boring (it's incredible) , and pretty bad for anything "extreme". My new hd800 are much better, but I'm not sure I  would recommend them for the "heavy" genres.

Hd600 or h650 ?
They use same driver, but the placement  of driver , the different grill etc ... modify slightly the sound.
I'd get the cheaper one, unless you want the  theoretical "best".

post #18 of 27
I would recommend the senn hd650, the k701 are simply to lacking in the bass department to have a good punch for rock. Both by the way will do much better if you amp them.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

I'm talking of fast paced , and charged music, that the senn under 500$ ( to avoid "mid-fi" term ) doesn't handle that well (according to some feedback) . I only got experience with the hd595, and I found them often boring (it's incredible) , and pretty bad for anything "extreme". My new hd800 are much better, but I'm not sure I  would recommend them for the "heavy" genres.


Hd600 or h650 ?

They use same driver, but the placement  of driver , the different grill etc ... modify slightly the sound.

I'd get the cheaper one, unless you want the  theoretical "best".

The 595 and its kin are not related to the 650 and its kin - the 595 *is* boring (okay, I'll be fair: neutral, detailed, nothing stands out, unoffensive, etc - but it's to a fault imho), the 650 and its kin are substantially better.

IIRC, the 650 does not share identical driver elements with the 600/580 - it brought revisions much like the D7000 did for the D5000. It isn't "new" but it isn't "the same."
Edited by obobskivich - 6/11/12 at 5:24pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe View Post

I think the HD600 is worth checking out. It handles all genres well and sounds a little more exciting than the 650.


The HD600 is less analytical than the K701, with more bass punch. Though I enjoy good clean mids and I felt I had to strain a bit to hear them in the HD600, where the K701 they were right there in front of me.

 

Unless you are into mids and details, you may prefer the HD600 for your musical styles.

 

But do not fore go the Grado's as they are worth considering. Clarity, speed, punch, and sizzle. And regarding comfort; they are one of the lightest and with the headband stretched (as per the included instructions) they can be fairly comfortable for a supra aural headphone.

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


The 595 and its kin are not related to the 650 and its kin - the 595 *is* boring (okay, I'll be fair: neutral, detailed, nothing stands out, unoffensive, etc - but it's to a fault imho), the 650 and its kin are substantially better.
 

 

Ok, I know the hd650 is better than the hd595, but  it 's still the "typical sennheiser" sound, no impressive punch or sizzle to retake the words of nicecans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceCans View Post

. Clarity, speed, punch, and sizzle.


Exactly what's needed for anything extreme or heavy .
I've suggested the srh940 too, but some find bass is lacking.

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Ok, I know the hd650 is better than the hd595, but  it 's still the "typical sennheiser" sound, no impressive punch or sizzle to retake the words of nicecans.

I would have to disagree. There is no "Sennheiser sound" - the individual series have differences between them. The 580/600/650 are truly world-class, and among the best headphones ever made for all-rounder use. Their biggest problem is they don't cost enough.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


. There is no "Sennheiser sound"

Sennheiser = overly tamed/ unsatisfying  highs, most of the  time.  I tried enough headphone from this brand to make this conclusion, sorry if I skipped the hd600 & hd650.
 

Quote:
Their biggest problem is they don't cost enough.

 

Typical fanboy. There are other menbers that think otherwise.  The recent increase in price, make things worse.

 

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Sennheiser = overly tamed/ unsatisfying  highs, most of the  time.  I tried enough headphone from this brand to make this conclusion, sorry if I skipped the hd600 & hd650.

 

Typical fanboy. There are other menbers that think otherwise.  The recent increase in price, make things worse.

The HD600/650 are not overly tame they are very natural sounding and balanced but the 650 is a little darker.They have plenty of detail it's just balanced with the rest of the music instead of being pushed in your face. It's like people who love these LED TVs with brightness cranked up to 100 compared to a plasma that is properly calibrated and natural looking. As far as price goes they are getting a little too expensive but just buy them used if you can't afford it.
post #25 of 27

I am looking for a great pair of headphones that can play Led Zeppelin or the Who and other kick ass sound rock.. I presently have the AKG K701 with a phenomenal headphone amp. However, it lacks bass and energy... The AKG's are great for TV and most Jazz.... and they do have that cord issue needing soldering if it breaks...  Is the AKG Q really going to solve this problem. I wish I could try out the headphones before laying down the money... I did that once years ago and I got a great pair.. anyhow, I want to put good money and only once, into a pair of headphones that will do the trick.. Please help... I would really appreciate it...

post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post

I am looking for a great pair of headphones that can play Led Zeppelin or the Who and other kick ass sound rock.. I presently have the AKG K701 with a phenomenal headphone amp. However, it lacks bass and energy... The AKG's are great for TV and most Jazz.... and they do have that cord issue needing soldering if it breaks...  Is the AKG Q really going to solve this problem. I wish I could try out the headphones before laying down the money... I did that once years ago and I got a great pair.. anyhow, I want to put good money and only once, into a pair of headphones that will do the trick.. Please help... I would really appreciate it...

I am going to buy HE-400
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanseAmador View Post


I am going to buy HE-400

I've been reading this thread and wondering why no one suggested the HE-400.

 

Is it because most have not heard them?

 

Based  only from reading the thread on head-fi and reviews from Headfonia, the HE-400's seem like excellent phones.

 

Can someone explain.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701