Never heard the Studio but I had the regular TMA-1s for some time. The HD25 is definitely the more versatile (and overall better) headphone. I like the sound signature of the DT770 LE more than the HD25, but they are much bigger and therefore less portable...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- aiaiai tma-1 studio MIA? Last post on 6/29/12 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How would the TMA-1 compare to the ATH-M50 Last post on 9/3/11 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing help finding the AIAIAI TMA-1 in Miami Last post on 8/13/11 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD25-1 ii / Adidas vs TMA-1 vs others? Last post on 5/20/11 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review: TMA-1 vs. TMA-1 Studio Last post on 7/21/14 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hi guys, I'm surprised this little gizmo isn't more discussed here on head-fi and I happen to be having a lot of fun with it so I figured a brief review in order to build a discussion here would...
I've been listening with K-10 Customs a year now. Because of the almost total isolation I only use them when flying. They are the best sounding IEM I've ever encountered. IMO, they are really as...
Somic v2 Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/809323/somic-v2-headphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Somic, the...
Disclaimer: I received this Jays q-Jays as part of the Australian/New Zealand tour that DJScope arranged. This is my honest opinion of the Jays q-Jays, and I am in no way affiliated with or work...
Since 2011 when I first discovered this site, I've experimented with quite a few low/mid-tier earphones and these are my favorite by far. I prefer them over my Vsonic Gr06, Vsonic VC1000, and...
NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio - Page 11post #151 of 16812/17/12 at 1:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 16812/20/12 at 1:17amGo listen to them EVERYTHING is preference. I prefer the TMA-1's to the HD25 and by a margin, yet some people think the HD25 are better. So who's right? No one. Go listen and make your own mind up. Ever been to a restaurant and gone of the waiters recommendation only to not enjoy what you ordered as much as you expected or was told you were? Exactly the same with headphones. I have made those mistakes in the past with speakers, now I have what I believe is the best I could get for the cash I had. Hope this helpspost #153 of 1682/10/13 at 9:59am
off to best buy later today to listen to TMA 1s and TMA 1 studios. Looking for an over the ear to travel with. I sold my Senn 650s because they were to 'dark' Not sure the TMAs will be any different. If I buy the TMA studios, I think I'll add this vModa Orange cable to mod... http://v-moda.com/1-button-speakeasy-cable/post #154 of 1682/10/13 at 10:04ampost #155 of 1682/12/13 at 2:00am
If you want a headphone that's not too dark, I doubt the TMA-1s or Studios will be for you, but I wish you luck. For what it's worth, I have found that the mic cable that came with my Crossfade LPs works very nicely with the TMA-1.post #156 of 1685/20/13 at 11:24ampost #157 of 1686/23/13 at 6:56ampost #158 of 1687/22/13 at 12:35pm
I found the TMA-1 studio to be dark, murky and bass heavy, with the upper mids totally sucked out and no treble to speak of. Other than that, they were fairly close to being non-crappy.post #159 of 1687/22/13 at 1:12pmpost #160 of 1688/2/13 at 6:17am
Got one of these, my quick impressions:
sound is a little congested, the large earpads are way better than the pleather on ears sound-wise. the cable is way too stiff and heavy. I had a small portable cable that fit (has to be very thin to fit past the locking tabs), now these are great portables!
seem very durable, but the rubberized exterior gets scuffed and scratched very easily.
wearing these reminds me of grados because of the earpads shape :)post #161 of 1689/9/14 at 3:45am
I had these for a week and decided to sell them again, they are not for me and ill briefly explain why.
First of all I got these after browsing the web for a while, I was looking for a new pair as I wrecked my beloved ESW9's. In a period of absence of real headphones I used iBeats (HTC urBeats) and borrowed a pair of M50's from a roommate, but required a good pair of cans for mself again.
Since I had been looking at the original TMA-1's when buying the ESW9's years ago, I figured the new Studio version should be more to my liking as the sound signature should be more towards neutral, sounds perfect!
Bought them online for 170 euros which is actually a fine price for these.
After arrival I was stocked, beautiful box and packaging, beautiful headphone design and two different pads to chose from. The cable on these is solid, but quite stiff, works well for home use while plugged into my stereo amplifier, sitting at my desk: the coiled cable works well and extends quite far. Its just a tad heavy for portable use.
After trying on both the pads to check for fit and sound the foam pads already shed a small snippet of foam from the cup; worries for durability. The foam pads where also not really to my liking as they don't really enclose because of their firmness they don't form to the head very well, on a flat surface they probably isolate well. Trying the pleather pads was a much better experience, much more comfortable and better sound isolation, but resemble much more of an on-ear headphone, very large ones at that.
The sound itself changes quite a bit when using either the foam pads or the pleather ones. The detail and soundstage on the foam pads was certainly bigger, but with the pleather ones the sound became a bit fuller as lower mids increased but soundstage decreased. I actually prefered the sound of the foam pads, but I couldn't use them because of the bad fit.
In both cases the bass sounds very full and timing is spot on, I didn't experience it as overpowering but well present and quite detailed as well, the mids are a bit recessed and there is a strange hump in the highs. As I mostly listen to EDM and rock music they should sound good with quite different genres, which these definitely didn't do to my liking. For EDM they are perfect! but for rock they where pretty much lacking. I love guitar tones and vocals and especially in that case these cans just sounded like they pushed all the upped mids into the same band of frequencies; like pushing this frequency range through a band pass filter. Over time this started to annoy me as it just didn't sound natural enough to my ears.
I tried to fix it by equalizing but found that the sound just became a bit muddy.
Eventually I ordered a new pair of ESW9's from amazon for the amazingly warm but very natural sound, at almost the same price. At least I now know what I want in my headphones, which is what I had all along.post #162 of 1689/13/14 at 12:36amThread Starterpost #163 of 1683/1/15 at 9:43amQuote:
Thats my impression as well. Even re-bought them recently (the Young Guru version that is). They did change some minor things like cut outs for the cable on the pads. And they are (still) amazingly light. Good to see that the better headband cushion of the YG has made its way into the normal TMA-1 line as well, the Ghostly Edition is well-padded just like the YG (though it uses leather vs. the YGs micro fiber).
Edited by plakat - 3/2/15 at 1:35ampost #164 of 1683/1/15 at 5:21pm
- NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › How to improve audio quality from iPhone (e.g., Amp, DAC+Amp, EQ... 24 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-100ABN h.ear on wireless impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP-100 "Tru-Fi Speakers Mod" from packdemon -... 3 minutes ago
- › Eddie Current - Black Widow, Solid State Headphone AMP Impressions... 4 minutes ago
- › ECP L2 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Noble Audio Kaiser K10UA universal aluminum by Saraguie
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Meze 99 Classics by joeq70
- › Edifier P185 Headphones Hi-Fi Classic Earbud Style Earphones With... by flamerz
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by TravAndAlex
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by OSiRiSsk
- › DUNU DN-2002 by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...