Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or her) collection. Approved by Lorretta, Judean People's Front
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or... - Page 4

post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

ER4S is smooth and extended with the proper insertion, it's treble is based on the human-related-transfer of perceived flatness and has some conservation in the most sensible areas of the ear (6-9k). PFE with gray filters and stock tips are too hot,the stock grey silicones are horrible for them. PFEs need tips with a small bore to resonate that higher treble (I use Klipsch oval tips), once you achieve that they're not offensive at all and very flat. EQ5 are more offensive than both and you cant use small bore tips because it's acoustics makes it resonate part of the mids as well. Still, it isn't that bad. Those that have the issue, try longer tips, biflange or triflange. 

I don't really understand the resonate part. I think it's just amplitde and band emphasis adjustments due to mechanical resistance. There's not a large enough acoustical environment to create mid resonances but if your just using it as a sonic que, I get it. I agree that the grey filters are a bit hot on the PFE but like you I still find them preferable to the blacks that mask too much. I do like the sound better with their own tips than others I've tried. Not saying that you're wrong about the ovals and it's just our opinions anyway but I don't find the stock tips horrible by any means, just a bit too present. I need to get some klipsch ovals. Seems they get a lot of use by those that own them.

 

I liked hybrids on the E-q5 to tame it a bit. It did bring th mids and bass forward by knocking down the top a bit but real hybrids don't sound ringy or resonant when doing it, for me.


Edited by goodvibes - 6/20/12 at 3:35am
post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

 

The eQ5 is a complete re-think of the eQ7, and blimey, I swear it sounds better. If I'm wrong about the last part, it is probably down to fit. I couldn't get a good fit with the eQ7. The eQ5 slides right in like a bullet to the brain pan. Lovely. 

 

One point that I'd personally disagree and found different from you is that I found the e-Q7's SQ to be smoother with a slightly larger soundstage than the e-Q5. So for me, the e-Q7 sounds somewhat better. However I do agree with you about the e-Q7 fit.

post #48 of 79
Thread Starter 

I think I had a bugger of a time getting fit right with the eQ7, and was upset about the cable. I find earphones that are good only at tables are in many ways worthless. They are fun to chat about, though. The eQ7 is a favourite of mine (sound speaking), but I think I let its fit issues and cable and plug weaknesses project a little too much throughout the review. That was my faul

 

You are probably right.

 

The eQ5 isn't the largest of sound stage casting earphones, but it is extremely coherent with precise imaging. The eQ7 is very similar, to the point of me shaking my head over differences I thought were there at first, but later, I chalk down to fit issues. Yes, chalk down. See you on the weekend.

post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma Jones View Post

Thanks for the reply. I guess the Fi-BA-SB has a different flavour but a similar sound signature compare to the eQ-5. Do you find the two iems compliment each other? I listen to a wide variety of different genre of music, hopefully if I acquire the Fi-BA-SB all my grounds are covered.

Yes it's a departure from the e-Q5 flavor but it's not likely to cove all your grounds. Still leaves the room for an analytical and another bass inclined signature.

post #50 of 79
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I don't really understand the resonate part. I think it's just amplitde and band emphasis adjustments due to mechanical resistance. There's not a large enough acoustical environment to create mid resonances but if your just using it as a sonic que, I get it. I agree that the grey filters are a bit hot on the PFE but like you I still find them preferable to the blacks that mask too much. I do like the sound better with their own tips than others I've tried. Not saying that you're wrong about the ovals and it's just our opinions anyway but I don't find the stock tips horrible by any means, just a bit too present. I need to get some klipsch ovals. Seems they get a lot of use by those that own them.

 

I liked hybrids on the E-q5 to tame it a bit. It did bring th mids and bass forward by knocking down the top a bit but real hybrids don't sound ringy or resonant when doing it, for me.

The PFEs have a nasty spike that starts at 7k and ends at 10k, it emphasizes sibilance a bit, but this is with stock tips. Small bores do resonate the treble, but it's good as it counteracts the spike, in a similar yet not identical fashion to foam. PFEs sound their best with the Klipsch tips I have and Comply foams to a lesser extent, even Shure Olives are too hot. Ovals were a nice step-up for the PFEs IME, granted you can get a good seal. 

 

Hybrids do tame the EQ5 a bit, forgot to mention that, but it's a small change. What I mentioned was with really small bores, like the Klipsch tips, it just won't work with these. 


Edited by Inks - 6/21/12 at 12:54pm
post #51 of 79

you think so ? i have some bi-flanges from the re-252/zero/272

 

i never thought of trying these ones on the eq5

 

maybe this will tame their harshness ?

 

thanx for the idea

 

 

 

edit : nope , they sound even more sibilant and i had to stop listenig with the eq5 - in fact , i tried the bi-flanges on my re-272 (i usually listen to them with some medium sony fake hybrids)  and they sound much,much better - in fact they sound fantastic

 

oh well , guess the re-272 will sound better than the eq5 in any given tip combination...nevermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

ER4S is smooth and extended with the proper insertion, it's treble is based on the human-related-transfer of perceived flatness and has some conservation in the most sensible areas of the ear (6-9k). PFE with gray filters and stock tips are too hot,the stock grey silicones are horrible for them. PFEs need tips with a small bore to resonate that higher treble (I use Klipsch oval tips), once you achieve that they're not offensive at all and very flat. EQ5 are more offensive than both and you cant use small bore tips because it's acoustics makes it resonate part of the mids as well. Still, it isn't that bad. Those that have the issue, try longer tips, biflange or triflange. 


Edited by proedros - 6/21/12 at 5:30pm
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

ER4S is smooth and extended with the proper insertion, it's treble is based on the human-related-transfer of perceived flatness and has some conservation in the most sensible areas of the ear (6-9k). PFE with gray filters and stock tips are too hot,the stock grey silicones are horrible for them. PFEs need tips with a small bore to resonate that higher treble (I use Klipsch oval tips), once you achieve that they're not offensive at all and very flat. EQ5 are more offensive than both and you cant use small bore tips because it's acoustics makes it resonate part of the mids as well. Still, it isn't that bad. Those that have the issue, try longer tips, biflange or triflange. 

 

Well, I disagree. I always found e-Q5 very smooth and inoffensive. Can't say the same about ER4 or PFE - these two are noticeably sharper sounding/more aggressive on attacks than e-Q5 is, especially the ER4. PFE does sound too hot and does have some nasty resonances. ER4 doesn't sound too bright to me and doesn't have any resonances that I can hear, but ER4S does have a good deal of treble quantity which is probably more apparent than it should be due to ER4's somewhat lean low end. e-Q5 just sounds warmer and less prominent in the highs to me, probably due to the softer attack. Still, I think ER4S actually has more abundant highs than e-Q5 and although the difference in frequency response may be slight, it is made more noticeable in practice due to the more aggressive nature of the BA driver in ER4. Also, e-Q5 doesn't have any resonances in the mids or treble IMO, or even if it does, it's nowhere near as apparent as PFE's treble resonance and something my ears can't detect. That been said, e-Q5 also requires a good fit like you mentioned, which is best achieved with deeper inserting tips. With a bad fit, e-Q5 can sound harsh, especially around 5 kHz region. ER4 and PFE are even worse with a bad fit.


Edited by Pianist - 6/27/12 at 4:57pm
post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

Well, I disagree. I always found e-Q5 very smooth and inoffensive. Can't say the same about ER4 or PFE - these two are noticeably sharper sounding/more aggressive on attacks than e-Q5 is, especially the ER4.

 

agree. cant speak for the pfe, but er4 def sounds sharper to my ears than the eq5

post #54 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

you think so ? i have some bi-flanges from the re-252/zero/272

 

i never thought of trying these ones on the eq5

 

maybe this will tame their harshness ?

 

thanx for the idea

 

 

 

edit : nope , they sound even more sibilant and i had to stop listenig with the eq5 - in fact , i tried the bi-flanges on my re-272 (i usually listen to them with some medium sony fake hybrids)  and they sound much,much better - in fact they sound fantastic

 

oh well , guess the re-272 will sound better than the eq5 in any given tip combination...nevermind

try some sony hybrids.

post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

The PFEs have a nasty spike that starts at 7k and ends at 10k, it emphasizes sibilance a bit, but this is with stock tips. Small bores do resonate the treble, but it's good as it counteracts the spike, in a similar yet not identical fashion to foam. PFEs sound their best with the Klipsch tips I have and Comply foams to a lesser extent, even Shure Olives are too hot. Ovals were a nice step-up for the PFEs IME, granted you can get a good seal. 

 

Hybrids do tame the EQ5 a bit, forgot to mention that, but it's a small change. What I mentioned was with really small bores, like the Klipsch tips, it just won't work with these. 

Have you got the great filters back in r still the foam? They are a bit hot with the grey but I didn't find it that severe. I do need to get some ovals in the inventory.smile.gif The small or longer tips offer more resistance and just knock down the highs similar to filters but in varying fashions.

post #56 of 79

My EQ5s are stuck in customs :(

post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

My EQ5s are stuck in customs :(

Sorry to hear about that. But congratulation anyways. Hope you enjoy them, they're my favourite iem for multiple genre. A world of advice, just make sure you have a deep fit for a proper seal. Once you have a proper seal the bass will not be lacking (if you're not a bass head) and the treble wont be harsh. 

post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma Jones View Post

Sorry to hear about that. But congratulation anyways. Hope you enjoy them, they're my favourite iem for multiple genre. A world of advice, just make sure you have a deep fit for a proper seal. Once you have a proper seal the bass will not be lacking (if you're not a bass head) and the treble wont be harsh. 

Yeh i always make sure i get the seal and don not worry i am no bass head. I spend enough tip rolling so i will make sure i can get the best sound out of them. I will also be loaning someones Grado GR8s so will have to moving armatures to compare so that should be interesting!

post #59 of 79
Thanks for cleaning up the thread smily_headphones1.gif
post #60 of 79
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

Have you got the great filters back in r still the foam? They are a bit hot with the grey but I didn't find it that severe. I do need to get some ovals in the inventory.smile.gif The small or longer tips offer more resistance and just knock down the highs similar to filters but in varying fashions.

Grey filters, yes. The severeness depends on the volume levels as well. Indoors, it isn't a huge issue, but it is when commuting. The only Klipsch ovals that work well are the small double flanges. They rid of some extension and overall treble precense, though they still retain that sparkle. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

Well, I disagree. I always found e-Q5 very smooth and inoffensive. Can't say the same about ER4 or PFE - these two are noticeably sharper sounding/more aggressive on attacks than e-Q5 is, especially the ER4. PFE does sound too hot and does have some nasty resonances. ER4 doesn't sound too bright to me and doesn't have any resonances that I can hear, but ER4S does have a good deal of treble quantity which is probably more apparent than it should be due to ER4's somewhat lean low end. e-Q5 just sounds warmer and less prominent in the highs to me, probably due to the softer attack. Still, I think ER4S actually has more abundant highs than e-Q5 and although the difference in frequency response may be slight, it is made more noticeable in practice due to the more aggressive nature of the BA driver in ER4. Also, e-Q5 doesn't have any resonances in the mids or treble IMO, or even if it does, it's nowhere near as apparent as PFE's treble resonance and something my ears can't detect. That been said, e-Q5 also requires a good fit like you mentioned, which is best achieved with deeper inserting tips. With a bad fit, e-Q5 can sound harsh, especially around 5 kHz region. ER4 and PFE are even worse with a bad fit.

ER4S are by far smoother than both the EQ5s and PFEs, granted you insert them to the ear's 2nd bend. ER4S isn't lacking bass, it's just not overly boosted, it's boost is small, problem is that it still lacks a bit of presence compared to a reference loudspeaker but boosting it's overall bass will compromise that midrange transparency. ER4S benefits from an EQ below 100hz because of this, as it retains that midrange quality. EQ5s have that overall bass boost that unfortunately results in glossing out details and coloring the recording for warmth. There is also less treble extension in the EQ5s and a bit less presence though a bit more uneven. I don't have the PFEs and EQ5s side by side though I've had each for a very long time, granted now that I've been using them more, I think the PFEs upper treble spike is more offensive than the slight uneveness in the EQ5s midhighs. EQ5s do have to be inserted somewhat deep, not as much as the ER4 but still quite in there...

 

proedros, biflanges only work in taming if they allow an overall deeper fit, if it's making your fit shallower it's no wonder it made them harsher. I personally have to use the very soft Meelec balanced biflanges as my double flanges of choice, it isn't too big and it's softness allows the deepness. RE272s likely have a low acoustic impedance, the change of the tips is more dependent on seal than depth, so you can't compare. 


Edited by Inks - 7/1/12 at 6:47pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or her) collection. Approved by Lorretta, Judean People's Front