Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › So...the hm5's (aka FA-003?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So...the hm5's (aka FA-003?)

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I'm getting these for a neutral headphone to replace the dark Aiaiai's. Is that a good idea and apt replacement?

 

Some questions:

 

1)How close are these to the FA-003? What are the differences?

 

2)Burn in time using white noise?

 

3) Are these among the best "neutral" headphones for under $250? If not what else?

 

4) A cheap yet reliable little clip on amp would be nice, would the Fiio E5 be a good amp to use with this?

 

 

 

post #2 of 28

I could be wrong but I think the hm5 is a re brand of the fa-003

post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC BOOM View Post

I could be wrong but I think the hm5 is a re brand of the fa-003

This is correct. 

post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 

So, functionally, completely the same, yet I heard the graphs where a little bit different?

 

Any answers to other questions?


Edited by clairyvic - 6/10/12 at 10:13pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairyvic View Post

So, functionally, completely the same, yet I heard the graphs where a little bit different?

 

Any answers to other questions?

I don't think that anyone has actually measured the HM5, and I'm normally on top of my measurements. I don't think there's differences in the graph. At the end of the day, they're buying these headphones from the same OEM developer, Yoga. 

post #6 of 28

So to be clear are they essentially the same, or are they the exact same. Anyone have insights into my other questions?

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gintoh View Post

So to be clear are they essentially the same, or are they the exact same. Anyone have insights into my other questions?

HM5s don't have the velour pads, but instead have two pleather ones. 

post #8 of 28

You should be able to find good used HM5s on eBay for around $100 (I did).

Great for movies.

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gintoh View Post

So to be clear are they essentially the same, or are they the exact same. Anyone have insights into my other questions?

The HM5 and FA-003 are the same. The earpads differ, though. They are the same as these: http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=monitor+headphones&form=KEYWORD but these are basically half the price. The only difference is, again, the earpads - most have said that the HM5 are the most comfortable of the three, then the FA-003 and then the Jaycar there. You get more extras and a better warranty through Brainwavz, and the only good place to get the FA-003 at this point is in the UK. Same drivers, same sound, etc.

post #10 of 28
I have a pair of the digitech jaycar on right now. At least untill my amp arrives they are my favorite headphone right now. Other than different earpads they should be the same sound. Once I loosened the headband they are amazingly comfortable. The pads are really deep and soft. Thought my other headphones were comfortable before I had these. Now not so much.
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 

1)Is that an apt replacement for AIAIAI TMA-1's?

 

2)Burn in time using white noise?

 

3) Are these among the best "neutral" headphones for under $250 in terms of sound quality? If not what else?

 

4) A cheap yet reliable little clip on amp would be nice, would the Fiio E5 be a good amp to use with this?

 

Anyone have answers to these? 1,3,4 most important questions. 3 is the most important question that I need answered before I commit.


Edited by clairyvic - 6/11/12 at 10:39am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairyvic View Post

1)Is that an apt replacement for AIAIAI TMA-1's?

 

2)Burn in time using white noise?

 

3) Are these among the best "neutral" headphones for under $250 in terms of sound quality? If not what else?

 

4) A cheap yet reliable little clip on amp would be nice, would the Fiio E5 be a good amp to use with this?

 

Anyone have answers to these? 1,3,4 most important questions. 3 is the most important question that I need answered before I commit.

 

1) Probably not TMA-1 dark (haven't heard TMA-1) but still slightly on the dark side.

 

2) Don't worry about it too much. Just play music or whatever you want and if anything happens they should settle down in the first several hours.

 

3) Frequency response isn't that flat, but relatively balanced overall while being a little bit bass>treble. See for yourself: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.innerfidelity.com%2Fimages%2FFischerAudioFA003.pdf

 

4) An amp is not needed for these. Optional.

post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 

Yeah, i'm replacing it because I want a less dark sound. For number 2 wondering if this competes with good non bass heavy 200-250$ headphones in sound quality, say the akg-550's?

 

 

BTW anyone have the AIAIAI TMA-1 graph?


Edited by clairyvic - 6/11/12 at 12:30pm
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 

Bump.

post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairyvic View Post

Yeah, i'm replacing it because I want a less dark sound. For number 2 wondering if this competes with good non bass heavy 200-250$ headphones in sound quality, say the akg-550's?

 

 

BTW anyone have the AIAIAI TMA-1 graph?

 

TMA-1 graph: http://www.headphonebar.com/products/AiAiAi-TMA%252d1-Headphones.html

 

Haven't heard the K550s, sorry. >.<

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › So...the hm5's (aka FA-003?)