Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need help choosing between 3 headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help choosing between 3 headphones

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I am looking for the best all around headphones that can handle all genres of music out of the three.  I am trying to decide between the Beyerdynamic dt880s 600 ohm, the Denon d2000, and the Sennheiser HD600.  If i were to get the Denons I would get a Schiit Asgard while if I were to get the Beyers or the Sennheisers I would get a Bellari HA540 tube amp, if that makes any difference.

post #2 of 13

All three are good headphones, it just depends on what sound signature you prefer.

The HD 600 & DT 880 both lean toward neutral sounding (I prefer the HD 600), while the D2000's are v-shaped with some nice sub-bass.

 

Neither of these are all-rounders (not sure if that even exists), but I would choose based on what kind of music you listen to the most. Both the HD 600 and D2000 will handle all genres very well though - except there might not be enough bass on the HD 600's for hiphop. Based on that alone I suppose I'd go for the Denons. Luckily I don't have to choose as I have the HD 600's and the D7000's (both of which are my favorite headphones!)

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post

All three are good headphones, it just depends on what sound signature you prefer.

The HD 600 & DT 880 both lean toward neutral sounding (I prefer the HD 600), while the D2000's are v-shaped with some nice sub-bass.

 

Neither of these are all-rounders (not sure if that even exists), but I would choose based on what kind of music you listen to the most. Both the HD 600 and D2000 will handle all genres very well though - except there might not be enough bass on the HD 600's for hiphop. Based on that alone I suppose I'd go for the Denons. Luckily I don't have to choose as I have the HD 600's and the D7000's (both of which are my favorite headphones!)

+1, pretty much it.

 

 

if you want the typical consumer sound (strong bass, slightly darker sound, fun sounding), but in a more refined package, get the D2000s.

 

if you want neutrality, detail, and clarity, get the HD 600. 

 

the DT 880 are like the HD 600, but more treble with the beyer sound.

 

if you want an HD 600 with slightly more bass but a darker sound, get the HD 650s, they where my favorite all rounder and did every genre well. excelling in hiphop, blues, rock, jazz, and electronic.

 

 

i would recommend the HD 650s if your budget allows, and the D2000s second as they do most genres very well and since most people are satisfied with them.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 6/10/12 at 11:46pm
post #4 of 13

I go with the d2k 1st and then hd600 second. That particular Beyer was not for me, although I did enjoy the dt990. But I like a stronger bass line most of the time.

 

d2k+Asgard+Music Streamer =nice setup

 

gL!!

post #5 of 13

Stay away from 600ohm, especially DT Premium series..

post #6 of 13

I've got a pair of HD 600's, and I've had no issues with their bass. Fantastic pair of headphones, and one I would definitely recommend. 

post #7 of 13
I had D2000, HD650 and DT990 660ohm in all different time but I preferred HD650, not sure how HD600 is close to HD650. But it's your ears, so you need to try and decide :)
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Stay away from 600ohm, especially DT Premium series..

What did you find wrong with the Beyerdynamic DT Premium 600-Ohm series?

post #9 of 13

The HD600's are not very good with hard rock music, they lack the punch and speed needed for this kind of music. Probably Denons is better for this kind of genre. 

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

What did you find wrong with the Beyerdynamic DT Premium 600-Ohm series?

 

To be honest I really don't know, I was never getting the bass right with this 600ohm headphone.

So I ended up calling Ray Samuels and had about 45 mins talk regarding the 600ohm cans, he mentioned that without going to the balanced setup I will never benefit the four full channels (Sr71b).

I am not sure if it was the SR71b problem which I doubt it cause I had the second sr71b, and also tested with my old Fiio didn't do much.

Unfortunately I sold this can because of ear piercing trebles prior to Burson 160DS arrival.

He told me that DT990 600ohm single ended with Sr71b is a nightmare configuration.
And I felt the same... :(
post #11 of 13
I've not had pairing issues with my DT880 600s, they sound best with my Cary (which can tame just about anything but HD700s) but they also sound very good with my EF-5, although perhaps a little hot. I like them quite a lot, they're one of my favorite sets of cans for small chamber classical.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I've not had pairing issues with my DT880 600s, they sound best with my Cary (which can tame just about anything but HD700s) but they also sound very good with my EF-5, although perhaps a little hot. I like them quite a lot, they're one of my favorite sets of cans for small chamber classical.

 

Cary SLI-80 Signature F1 is a nice amp ! lucky you !
What other amp you had ? I am seriously considering Cavalli Liquid Fire.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Cary SLI-80 Signature F1 is a nice amp ! lucky you !

What other amp you had ? I am seriously considering Cavalli Liquid Fire.

http://www.head-fi.org/lists/display/view/id/110100

That's my current inventory, but I'm considering getting a nice OTL some time in the near future, something like the Bottlehead Crack.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need help choosing between 3 headphones