For this particular DAC you need at least 4 of them for balanced operation because it's a mono chip IIRC.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd NFB-17tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd Reference-10tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd Reference 8tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference 9tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference Onetagged by System, 2/28/13
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productReference Seventagged by System, 6/13/12More
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-Gd Reference 10 Last post on 2/14/14 at 5:58am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-GD Reference 5.32 vs NFB17.32 Last post on 12/6/13 at 6:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Differences between Audio-gd "Reference 5.32" and "SA-1.32"? Last post on 10/23/12 at 11:47pm in Dedicated Source Components
- IC: Audio-gd Reference 1 (OPT + COAX) Last post on 7/24/13 at 5:26pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) - Page 6post #76 of 2817/13/12 at 9:15am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 2817/13/12 at 1:17pmpost #78 of 2817/13/12 at 2:22pmpost #79 of 2817/13/12 at 2:37pmpost #80 of 2817/13/12 at 2:53pmpost #81 of 2817/13/12 at 2:56pmpost #82 of 2817/13/12 at 3:21pmpost #83 of 2817/13/12 at 4:21pm
Mine has the latest DSP. Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said 'original version' I meant the Ref 5 vs the newer Ref 5.2. My Ref 5 is one of the last examples produced and is about 7 months old.post #84 of 2817/13/12 at 6:25pm
Besides the single ended vs balanced outs I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between SA-1 and Ref 5.2
One is "Dedicated Discrete DAC applied Diamond Difference design" the other is "Dedicated Discrete Fully Balanced DAC"
Same price and they look the same to me except from the rather confusing description on Audio GD's website they appear to sound different.Quote:Both have built in DSP-1 and 4 pcs PCM1704UK .
The SA-1 retains rich details and high clarity with its abundant music flavor with wide and deep sound stage . It is single-ended output.
The Reference 5.2 sound dead neutral and monitor . It is balance output.post #85 of 2817/13/12 at 8:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by runswithaliens
What are the benefits of having 4 DAC chips? I can understand where having two would allow 1 to be used for left and 1 to be used for the right channel, but what are those other two chips doing? Just hanging out being cool until Quadraphonic systems catch on (remember those?)?
I'm guessing Kingwa is using a pair of chips per channel so he can take the difference between them. This means one chip has 'true' data fed to it and the other has inverted. The idea behind such balanced operation is that things that affect both DAC chips equally (power supply noise for example) will get cancelled out in the subtraction stage.post #86 of 2817/16/12 at 2:29ampost #87 of 2817/16/12 at 2:59ampost #88 of 2817/16/12 at 4:01ampost #89 of 2817/16/12 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sapientiam
I'm guessing Kingwa is using a pair of chips per channel so he can take the difference between them. This means one chip has 'true' data fed to it and the other has inverted. The idea behind such balanced operation is that things that affect both DAC chips equally (power supply noise for example) will get cancelled out in the subtraction stage.
Thanks for the info Sapientiam as I was feeling a bit cynical about the more is just obviously better thing. That is very clever what those electronic wizards can do.post #90 of 2817/16/12 at 4:40pmQuote:
I maybe mislead in the email reply.
Any balance DAC ACSS output can connect to Single-Ended amp's ACSS input.
All on sale balanced ACSS amps can connect Single-Ended DAC through ACSS and working on full balanced state.
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 39 seconds ago
- › Looking For: Shure SE425 clear or Denon C400 54 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 56 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 2 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 2 minutes ago
- › HDtracks and Apogee Winter Giveaway 3 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid Impressions and Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 4 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude