For this particular DAC you need at least 4 of them for balanced operation because it's a mono chip IIRC.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd NFB-17tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd Reference-10tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd Reference 8tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference 9tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference Onetagged by System, 2/28/13
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productReference Seventagged by System, 6/13/12More
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-Gd Reference 10 Last post on 11/8/16 at 7:53am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-GD Reference 5.32 vs NFB17.32 Last post on 12/6/13 at 6:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Differences between Audio-gd "Reference 5.32" and "SA-1.32"? Last post on 10/23/12 at 11:47pm in Dedicated Source Components
- IC: Audio-gd Reference 1 (OPT + COAX) Last post on 7/8/14 at 10:37am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) - Page 6post #76 of 2977/13/12 at 9:15am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 2977/13/12 at 1:17pmpost #78 of 2977/13/12 at 2:22pmpost #79 of 2977/13/12 at 2:37pmpost #80 of 2977/13/12 at 2:53pmpost #81 of 2977/13/12 at 2:56pmpost #82 of 2977/13/12 at 3:21pmpost #83 of 2977/13/12 at 4:21pm
Mine has the latest DSP. Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said 'original version' I meant the Ref 5 vs the newer Ref 5.2. My Ref 5 is one of the last examples produced and is about 7 months old.post #84 of 2977/13/12 at 6:25pm
Besides the single ended vs balanced outs I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between SA-1 and Ref 5.2
One is "Dedicated Discrete DAC applied Diamond Difference design" the other is "Dedicated Discrete Fully Balanced DAC"
Same price and they look the same to me except from the rather confusing description on Audio GD's website they appear to sound different.Quote:Both have built in DSP-1 and 4 pcs PCM1704UK .
The SA-1 retains rich details and high clarity with its abundant music flavor with wide and deep sound stage . It is single-ended output.
The Reference 5.2 sound dead neutral and monitor . It is balance output.post #85 of 2977/13/12 at 8:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by runswithaliens
What are the benefits of having 4 DAC chips? I can understand where having two would allow 1 to be used for left and 1 to be used for the right channel, but what are those other two chips doing? Just hanging out being cool until Quadraphonic systems catch on (remember those?)?
I'm guessing Kingwa is using a pair of chips per channel so he can take the difference between them. This means one chip has 'true' data fed to it and the other has inverted. The idea behind such balanced operation is that things that affect both DAC chips equally (power supply noise for example) will get cancelled out in the subtraction stage.post #86 of 2977/16/12 at 2:29ampost #87 of 2977/16/12 at 2:59ampost #88 of 2977/16/12 at 4:01ampost #89 of 2977/16/12 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sapientiam
I'm guessing Kingwa is using a pair of chips per channel so he can take the difference between them. This means one chip has 'true' data fed to it and the other has inverted. The idea behind such balanced operation is that things that affect both DAC chips equally (power supply noise for example) will get cancelled out in the subtraction stage.
Thanks for the info Sapientiam as I was feeling a bit cynical about the more is just obviously better thing. That is very clever what those electronic wizards can do.post #90 of 2977/16/12 at 4:40pmQuote:
I maybe mislead in the email reply.
Any balance DAC ACSS output can connect to Single-Ended amp's ACSS input.
All on sale balanced ACSS amps can connect Single-Ended DAC through ACSS and working on full balanced state.
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Headphone Sightings 2 46 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 2 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back 3 minutes ago
- › [Reviewers Wanted] World Tour for Cayin i5 - Android based AK4490... 3 minutes ago
- › akg n20 vs focal sphear vs sennheiser ie60, which one is better? 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 4 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 4 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear