For this particular DAC you need at least 4 of them for balanced operation because it's a mono chip IIRC.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd NFB-17tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd Reference-10tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference 5tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudio-gd Reference 8tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference 9tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAudio-gd Reference Onetagged by System, 2/28/13
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productReference Seventagged by System, 6/13/12More
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productWyred4Sound µDACtagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Audio-gd Reference 7.1 vs Violectric v800 Last post on 9/4/12 at 7:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-Gd Reference 10 Last post on 11/8/16 at 7:53am in Dedicated Source Components
- Audio-GD Reference 5.32 vs NFB17.32 Last post on 12/6/13 at 6:00am in Dedicated Source Components
- Differences between Audio-gd "Reference 5.32" and "SA-1.32"? Last post on 10/23/12 at 11:47pm in Dedicated Source Components
- IC: Audio-gd Reference 1 (OPT + COAX) Last post on 7/8/14 at 10:37am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Weston W80 Review Disclaimer: The W80 was loaned to me by the local distributor www.samma3a.com - I have to return it, I have not received any incentive, financial or otherwise for this...
Meant to be married to the OL DAC, the O2 headphone amp matches it in shape, size and simplicity. What’s neat about the O2 is that JDS Labs allows for some simple customizations—you can choose...
Acknowledgment This review unit was provided to me in exchange for my honest opinion by Penon Audio. This review was originally published here. Introduction I’m a regular watcher and poster on...
I know a lot of people say a DAC is a DAC is a DAC, but I’m not one of them. A DAC’s chipset and its implementation, among other things, play a very real role in determining how it sounds....
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC) - Page 6post #76 of 2977/13/12 at 9:15am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 2977/13/12 at 1:17pmpost #78 of 2977/13/12 at 2:22pmpost #79 of 2977/13/12 at 2:37pmpost #80 of 2977/13/12 at 2:53pmpost #81 of 2977/13/12 at 2:56pmpost #82 of 2977/13/12 at 3:21pmpost #83 of 2977/13/12 at 4:21pm
Mine has the latest DSP. Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said 'original version' I meant the Ref 5 vs the newer Ref 5.2. My Ref 5 is one of the last examples produced and is about 7 months old.post #84 of 2977/13/12 at 6:25pm
Besides the single ended vs balanced outs I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between SA-1 and Ref 5.2
One is "Dedicated Discrete DAC applied Diamond Difference design" the other is "Dedicated Discrete Fully Balanced DAC"
Same price and they look the same to me except from the rather confusing description on Audio GD's website they appear to sound different.Quote:Both have built in DSP-1 and 4 pcs PCM1704UK .
The SA-1 retains rich details and high clarity with its abundant music flavor with wide and deep sound stage . It is single-ended output.
The Reference 5.2 sound dead neutral and monitor . It is balance output.post #85 of 2977/13/12 at 8:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by runswithaliens
What are the benefits of having 4 DAC chips? I can understand where having two would allow 1 to be used for left and 1 to be used for the right channel, but what are those other two chips doing? Just hanging out being cool until Quadraphonic systems catch on (remember those?)?
I'm guessing Kingwa is using a pair of chips per channel so he can take the difference between them. This means one chip has 'true' data fed to it and the other has inverted. The idea behind such balanced operation is that things that affect both DAC chips equally (power supply noise for example) will get cancelled out in the subtraction stage.post #86 of 2977/16/12 at 2:29ampost #87 of 2977/16/12 at 2:59ampost #88 of 2977/16/12 at 4:01ampost #89 of 2977/16/12 at 1:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sapientiam
I'm guessing Kingwa is using a pair of chips per channel so he can take the difference between them. This means one chip has 'true' data fed to it and the other has inverted. The idea behind such balanced operation is that things that affect both DAC chips equally (power supply noise for example) will get cancelled out in the subtraction stage.
Thanks for the info Sapientiam as I was feeling a bit cynical about the more is just obviously better thing. That is very clever what those electronic wizards can do.post #90 of 2977/16/12 at 4:40pmQuote:
I maybe mislead in the email reply.
Any balance DAC ACSS output can connect to Single-Ended amp's ACSS input.
All on sale balanced ACSS amps can connect Single-Ended DAC through ACSS and working on full balanced state.
- Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 41 seconds ago
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 50 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › Yamaha HPH-MT8 studio monitor headphones 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android |... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter 4 minutes ago
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by gprs007
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear