MY DAY 3 of BURSON SOLOIST:
The main reason i bought Burson Soloist Desktop is because i want to get a desktop sound quality. My first desktop amp was GS Solo SRGii and I love the sound..but only until i got numbers of portable amps and i think some of them the sound quality are above the SRGii which then i decided to sell. I am hoping the Burson Soloist is able to give me a different sound quality from my portables, but i guess, i realized that portable nowadays is definitely challenge the sound quality of a desktop amp.
Yesterday night i was still in my curiosity to find what Soloist can do better to me. So i compared The Soloist once again using the same setup rival (HP-P1 duet with Glacier) and also i used a new rival HP-P1 + RSA Intruder. I know..it sound stupid to compare portable VS desktop, but trust me...these portable amps are darn good enough, for only just driving HD650.
Here's some thoughts i have after doing the test: (i used HP-P1 as DAC and HD6500 was the headphone using Double Helix Copper wire)
- These 3 combinations are pretty good driving (with ease) HD650. Over all sound is good, clean, transparent, good music separation, and the impact is very present. I will rate power wise they are all the same and almost on par, even though i feel like Soloist might be more capable to create a bit bigger, better impact and better ambiance in sound but i also really hard to tell.
- Still, i think the combination of HP-P1 + Apex Glacier has really stolen my heart. The MIDS presentation of the Glacier is really something to consider for all HD650's lovers. This is the only one amp that can makes me engaged with the music using HD650. Glacier's mids-forward presentation with a very good clean-textured plus a bit of tubey flavour is really catch my attention during my second test. Still this is the best. Please note, the other two are also good, but i still prefer Glacier on this respect.
- I think that Soloist might have more meaty presentation from those two. This maybe due to a desktop factor. But i am not sure. And the more i listen to Soloist, the more i feel the oomph energy is really there. This character that i really love from my Soloist. I promise my self i will dig ever further experience to make my Soloist really show their muscle and roar. hopefully i can...
- The sound stage i may say Soloist is a winner compared to my Glacier. Nothing wrong with the Glacier, but i think Soloist is better in this sector. But switching to RSA Intruder, that's a different story. The RSA Intruder is one of my portable amp that can make me impressed with the sound stage. The sound from Intruder is amazing in term of depth and width. I feel like the sound from my HD650 is more spacious using the Intruder. So in this case, i will rate the Intruder and Soloist are equal in term of sound stage.
- For the highs, i think they are on par. These three combination is very neutral on the highs. Well, they are not exactly the same but I never felt like having any sibilant or harsh during my test using variety of genres. But in term of musicality, i will rate RSA Intruder on the top.
- Sound detailing is very good on these three. I never had any difficulty picking up any detail instrument whatsoever. Very nice. And somehow, i would say Soloist is a truly amazing Solid State desktop amp with a very clean sounding and free from a background noise. Listening to a slow jazz song or acoustic instrumental song is really something. I felt so relax during that time. Very nice. But when it comes to the clarity level, sorry to say that both rivals have their edge. The clarity on the Glacier and RSA Intruder is really excellent. i really able to notice the music layering quite clear. The Soloist is good, but i suspect the greater low impact of the soloist is affecting its clarity level. I am not saying the bass on the Soloist is exaggerated nor over bloated. It is clean and tight. but somehow i feel like the bass impact make it less-textured sounding. But i am not quite sure. I just felt that way....Then again, Glacier is the only one that can make me hooked to the music with passion and emotion.
- For the bass, these 3 amp have a very good bass. However...in term of impact, Soloist is the winner. BUT...somehow i feel like the bass on the soloist sometimes is a bit un-controlled. It goes deep. Really deep with powerful impact and that makes think it might touch the middle range barrier. The RSA Intruder and Glacier i think is the winner in term of bass texture with a perfect impact & amount to deliver. So that makes it quite enjoyable to listen.
This where my love starting to grow on the Soloist.......
Until midnight, when i felt so sleepy, came to mind to use silver cable on my HD650. The silver cable i used is Toxic cable. And the result is.....i was so happy and excited !! This might be the sound i have been looking for from my Soloist. The bass is even tighter and now very well controlled. I did not feel any over impact anymore. Is just right on spot. Thou the impact is still there, but this time with a very well textured. And the most important, the mids now becoming a bit more appealing yet very crisp and clean. Yeaaah !!! It is so darn musical and so lively. everything is different (during a regular listening may not be that different, but when u focusing to the music like crazy you will understand what i am saying ). The texture and sound layering is so revealing now and i am impressed. I listened only for a short time. I still can not judge using Silver cable will surpass the other rivals. But for now, i am quite happy with it. I will give some more time listening and see how. I am so exciting now.
I am still waiting my Centrance Dacmini CX to be paired with Soloist. I really hope the sound will be improved. And now i am on the fence too, of choosing 1 more full size headphone for my Soloist. Whether T1, HD800 or ATH300anv. I feel like HD800 will be more to my liking but my heart keep telling me to get the T1. So i am not sure, sad for me...as i can not audition them from where i live.
I can say that I'm very happy with my Soloist/HD800 combo. I haven't heard the glacier so I suppose I can't judge it but I would suspect the HD650 is probably the limiting factor in judging the difference between the two. I also feel the the Soloist/HD800 combo is very transparent to source as I can notice the subtle differences between the Concero's different filter settings and other tweaks such as fidelizer. That being said, YMMW with different DACs and such. I've been quite surprised at what the Soloist/HD800 combo has pulled out of the little Concero.